Domain Empire

advice What’s happened to my domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Blueforever

Established Member
Impact
Yesterday (November 18th) I received an email from namesilo that my domain name (TokenizeEverything.com) was to be transferred out to another registrar, there was also an option to cancel if i follow the URL which I quickly did.
IMG_1695-e1574160539894.jpg

I logged into my account to find the name missing. I spoke to support who had said that ‘When you cancelled the transfer it was deactivated’ although they reinstated the name to my account which I can see is there and thought that was the end of it.
A few hours later I check the domain to find it has a different landing page. Wtf!
Go to Whois to find it’s under a network solutions registry owned by a guy named David shoop jr. Fb profile https://m.facebook.com/DavidShoopJr
image0-e1574160803498.jpeg

I log into my namesilo account, and there it is. The name is still in my account.

Screenshot-2019-11-19-at-08.20.14.png

I try to make changes, nameservers, make Whois private, but none of it works. It’s like the domain is only there in text but it’s not in my account as I have no control on it, if that makes sense.
I spoke to namesilo, they have given me no answers except their IT people are looking into it.
Now I see this guy has added a WordPress site to my domain name. Whats odd, is when looking at the login history, there is no unusual login to my account.
Any thoughts on what is going on? Has my name been stolen? If it has why show your full name on Whois? Or is this a glitch on namesilos end?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Someone else mentioned this but you never responded. Did you confirm that the email you received was from namesilo?

Being asked to quickly cancel the transfer, having to login to what looked like namesilo - that all seems like a classic phishing scam. The site you logged into might not have been the real one
Yes it was 100% from namesilo. I have spoken to them, and they are investigating...The assumption is the name sold via fast transfer which was listed from the previous owner. Currently waiting on them communicating with Network solutions.

•••
In theory, the registrar should un-enroll the fast transfer when there is a change of account. Still would be listed on the marketplace until you contact them to remove it but at least of it "sells" it wont get auto transferred.
Exactly. I would say not just in theory but it must work that way - if it does not currently urgent to fix it right away.

BTW a tip to see if a name you have is still listed for sale somewhere, Dofo searches all the main venues. That is how I found the one at SnapNames for this domain name. Of course it is sometimes a little dated so you need to click and check, and also it won't show all of the places. I separately looked and found it also listed at DAN.

Bob

•••
So basically @namesilo are saying don’t make private purchases. Or if you do, it’s your responsibility to go through every platform and make sure it’s not listed for sale by the previous owner.

•••
On a side note: Checking any new domain acquisition with Sedo and Afternic is something that should never be forgotten about. Both for aftermarket purchases and for expired/dropped purchases. Also for handregs. Even if the domain is not for sale yet, or at all, or on Sedo/Afternic. Very easy with Afternic: try to add it (copypaste a list of 1...50 domains into ADD form from inside afternic account, press submit, wait a few seconds /scroll up and down/, and it would show conflicting domains). No need to finish the process by accepting T&C etc. if it just conflicts check. Not so easy with Sedo (domainsearch 1 by 1 on sedo.com). Or, by really adding the domainlist to sedo account (without sales setup and without parking if it is for conflicts check only). Anybody who did not yet perform this should find some time and try (whole portfolio, both platforms). Obviously excluding domains you already listed on the platform in question. You will be (unpleasantly) surprised :(

I actually disagree, this should not be our responsibility, the involved parties committed theft, and we should not be the ones responsible after purchasing a domain that they dont do so, they are, they are responsible for not committing theft by taking names from someone they have no agreement in place for - They are VERY lucky they did this to someone who came on here and not a different player who would have kept their mouth shut until ready to go to court and then slapping them left and right with legal action for theft.

•••
Given that this concerns a private user account, we will not disclose any sensitive details publicly but we are working with the registrant and the involved parties to resolve this matter. The domain owner can update you on the outcome and results if they wish.

But we did want to address the concerns around security post transfers and domain pushes - rest assured there are no issues with security on our end or working with our partners. This was a case where the domain listing on Afternic was mistakenly approved by the owner of the domain and that's what enabled the fast-transfer to occur once it was sold at Afternic.

•••
Given that this concerns a private user account, we will not disclose any sensitive details publicly but we are working with the registrant and the involved parties to resolve this matter. The domain owner can update you on the outcome and results if they wish.

But we did want to address the concerns around security post transfers and domain pushes - rest assured there are no issues with security on our end or working with our partners. This was a case where the domain listing on Afternic was mistakenly approved by the owner of the domain and that's what enabled the fast-transfer to occur once it was sold at Afternic.

Sounds like Afternic and all partners like NameSilo are just using one dodgy system. Whenever a transfer or account change takes place at any registrar the domain should be delisted at Afternic, or at least an option should be provided to do so.

•••
The scariest part is for someone who lists domains on Afternic I might not realize if someone else listed my domain thinking it was one I listed.
correct, if one lists 100s of domains, these are routine emails and you just accept them, there is no way one who does a real quantity of domains can remember which domains he is having listed and whch not. A loophole that needs instant attention and fixing from afternic/registrars

•••
Assuming the registrant does not click on any links in emails he is not aware of, here is what I believe might be an issue. Lets suppose I bought a name that has been approved for fast transfer sale, and which is listed on Afternic by the previous owner , who happens to be the one who approved the Fast Transfer before I bought the domain. What happens if it gets sold on Afternic? Of course it will.be removed from my account wihout my knowledge. I believe this is the loophole which can be exploited by scammers.

If a push or transfer takes place, I.believe Afternic should void the previous Fast Transfer approval and request a new one from the new owner. If the new registrant then simply approves without checking if he or she listed the name or not, then it will fall on him/her. This can also affect even handregs.

Yes and that's why registrars must cancel fast transfer agreement on a domain in case of:
1- Domain push
2- Domain transfer
3- Domain drop

I think practically this should be done from Registrars side not from Afternic side, because registrars have live data about domain changes, Afternic do not.

Same issue will also happen with @Sedo MLS I think.

•••
Afternic explained that No, the domain had not been listed for sale in my Afternic account but that the reason I received this email was
“it appears that the current owner of the domain name has not updated the Whois information, and it still had your information. That is why the email; was sent. The domain has not been listed since 2017, when you sold it.”

•••
•••
Joe Styler and Godaddy and Afternic will not accept responsibility for anything.

As long as we don't know all details regarding this specific case I won't comment on that.

However, it's unfair to say Joe never accepts responsibility. He's just a DM away if you need issues fixed. I'm not a GoDaddy fan but Joe is an asset.

•••
Well, then he should tell us what happened, so we know how to protect our holdings. He already said the domain was transferred via afternic.

Maybe he can, maybe he can't. He cannot be accountable for everything that goes wrong at GD and affiliated companies.

He checks up on a lot of things that go wrong, even when technically it's not his job to do so.

I'm with all of you that TXT record verification should be mandatory. This thing is a mess. Still... Joe aint GD and he's a bigger asset to this community than most.

Again, I'm not a GD fan but Joe definitely is a guy I want to have around so when shit hits the fence, I know who will help, or try to, as far as within his capabilities.

•••
AS OF THIS MOMENT:

Domain Name: TOKENIZEEVERYTHING.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2328582026_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Registrar URL: http://networksolutions.com
Updated Date: 2019-11-18T18:25:43Z
Creation Date: 2018-11-01T21:29:18Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2021-11-01T21:29:18Z
Registrar: Network Solutions, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 2
Reseller:
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: Shoop Texas Termite and pest control
Registrant Organization: Shoop Texas Termite and pest control
Registrant Street: 2703 Avenue U
Registrant City: Wichita Falls
Registrant State/Province: TX
Registrant Postal Code: 76308-1733
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.9402322689
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: 9402322689
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: [email protected]
Registry Admin ID:
Admin Name: Shoop Texas Termite and pest control
Admin Organization: Shoop Texas Termite and pest control
Admin Street: 2703 Avenue U
Admin City: Wichita Falls
Admin State/Province: TX
Admin Postal Code: 76308-1733
Admin Country: US
Admin Phone: +1.9402322689
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax: 9402322689
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: [email protected]
Registry Tech ID:
Tech Name: Shoop Texas Termite and pest control
Tech Organization: Shoop Texas Termite and pest control
Tech Street: 2703 Avenue U
Tech City: Wichita Falls
Tech State/Province: TX
Tech Postal Code: 76308-1733
Tech Country: US
Tech Phone: +1.9402322689
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax: 9402322689
Tech Fax Ext:
Tech Email: [email protected]
Name Server: NS63.WORLDNIC.COM
Name Server: NS64.WORLDNIC.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8003337680
URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2019-12-10T15:56:11Z <<<

•••
i think this was a bad deal gone wrong or the domain wasn't locked. or the person send him a spam that would able to get access to his account. i mean i don't see nothing but that domain that would make me want it.

Based on what the OP has already stated that's not it. Someone else added the domain to their Afternic account and when the OP got the email to opt into fast transfer they said they were confused and clicked the link. Meaning that as soon as it sold on Afternic it was gone.

The sad part is think of how many people could make the same mistake and click the link. This has the potential to be used as a scam to steal domains because Afternic dosen't verify ownership apart from that opt in email in most cases.

•••
I don't feel that there has been clarity in the ganeral situation. Is the following possible?
  1. Person A has a domain name listed fast transfer.
  2. Person B buys domain name from A but does not list it on fast transfer. The admin contact email is properly to B.
  3. Person A leaves the name listed with fast transfer, deliberately or accidentally, even though they no longer own it.
  4. Person C buys the name via fast transfer. Person A gets paid, again, for domain. Person B loses domain. Person C gets the domain.
If this can happen there is a serious problem that urgently needs to be fixed. Or does fast transfer confirmation that ownership is still correct take form of an email to contact on record? If the latter we need to be super careful to not approve a listing we did not make.

I personally would like to see ownership verification and automatic unlisting any time a domain changes registrars or has admin contact change so nonowners can't have domains listed.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
This is very strange!! was the domain locked before transfer? did you share the auth code with anyone?

I think this was one of past owners of the domain with poession of the auth code, and maybe you forgot to lock your domain!

•••
Was the name listed on Sedo or Afternic with fast transfer?

•••
Is the email sender really from the official site namesilo?

•••
Maybe I missed it but as someone else asked is it possible you had approved rapid transfer with Sedo or Afternic and it sold but you did not get the message? I hope it gets resolved.
Bob
Thanks Bob, no the name was not listed with Sedo or Afternic, only had a uniregistry make offer page. Unless is was listed from the previous owner.

•••
Although the funds went to the previous owner.

Ahhh!!!

Just a guess or confirmation?

Edit: Maybe ask the previous domain owner of whom you purchased the domain from if they know anything about the sale?

Last edited:
•••
Hope you get it back or get paid for it.

I would contact the 'new owner' with a brief email stating I have neither sold nor given authorisation for the domain to be moved or sold.

Last edited:
•••
If it was fast transfer then this is indeed very disturbing, we buy domains all time how can you tell if the domains are still on fast transfer on Sedo & Afternic?!

I personally add my domains to Sedo & Afternic after purchase, and many times I found that I can't add the domains because they are already listed, so I send email to support telling them I am new owner of the domain and they usually fix the problem in few days and add the domain to my account. But what if the domain was sold in this waiting time while they are replying to my email? Also many domainers do not list on Sedo or Afternic and they may never think about checking if the domain is listed there.

I think the best way to be 100% safe is that when you buy a domain you should transfer it to a new registrar, you many need to do that especially if the domain is high value (like 3L).

In theory, the registrar should un-enroll the fast transfer when there is a change of account. Still would be listed on the marketplace until you contact them to remove it but at least of it "sells" it wont get auto transferred. That's a huge problem if Namesilo is keeping fast transfered enabled afterter an account change.

But that's a good reason to list your domains on the marketplaces whether or not you opt into fast transfer you'll know when you try to add the domain if a previous owner listed it.

•••
I agree @Jona4s . I hope that we will get an update when more is known. I agree feel nervous, not that I have much tied up in anything, but I have certainly taken pushes of domains at NameSilo and GoDaddy that were quite likely on fast-transfer previously. I certainly have not in general moved registrars. I just hope there emerges some other explanation that makes this a unique case, and that it works out for @Blueforever.

Bob

•••
Couldn't help but read from page 1 to 3 and in all would say this have to be fully addressed or domainers investment are not safe. That's a glitch that aid spammers and hackers to have a free day. not acceptable, hope to read something more appealing on this in days ahead

•••
So basically @namesilo are saying don’t make private purchases. Or if you do, it’s your responsibility to go through every platform and make sure it’s not listed for sale by the previous owner.
That not fair @namesilo I used your platform for 100% of my portfolio but now becoming sceptical as a preferred platform over my previous domain host Godaddy.
How will you allow someone to transfer a domain that is not in their own account?
A lot still not clear here....and it is scary too.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back