IT.COM

What's a good ftp program?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Phat-Cat

Account Closed
Impact
I need one and I know a lot about web pages, but I guess I skipped the lesson about FTP :hehe: anywho anyone mine explaing some things to me?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
FileZilla is my personal favorite.

FTP is simply copying files from your computer (like your webpages) to the remote server which hosts your website. ;)

•••
•••
I second FileZilla. It's free, open source, and works great. Plus, if you are ever in the need for an FTP server, there is a FileZilla one to go along with your client.

•••
angisson said:
SmartFTP :D

I'll second that! Always works well for me
Haven't had any probs yet :)

•••
AAAAAAAAHHHHH 2 2nds for each one I need mroe votes. ><

•••
•••
ACEFTP Is best IMO Simple to use just drag and drop, and it's free :)

•••
I prefer WS_FTP Pro, but it's hard to explain it to you without knowing which program you're using because they can all be quite different.

•••
I have tried many FTP clients, including smart FTP, filezilla, cute FTP, and more. So far, I have yet to find an FTP client that rivals filezilla. Filezilla is simply the best: you can upload multiple files at the same time, it stores all your usernames/passwords, and it's simply the fastest FTP program I've used.

I have used smart FTP before but I did not like having to change my view settings all the time in order to see my local files. On top of that, the layout wasted a lot of space with poorly placed buttons and just too many 'extras' that is definitely not necessary.

All you gotta do is drag n drop..

•••
CuteFTP Pro :)
Its fast and easy to use.

•••
JYM said:
I have tried many FTP clients, including smart FTP, filezilla, cute FTP, and more. So far, I have yet to find an FTP client that rivals filezilla. Filezilla is simply the best: you can upload multiple files at the same time, it stores all your usernames/passwords, and it's simply the fastest FTP program I've used.

I have used smart FTP before but I did not like having to change my view settings all the time in order to see my local files. On top of that, the layout wasted a lot of space with poorly placed buttons and just too many 'extras' that is definitely not necessary.

All you gotta do is drag n drop..

I cannot agree more. Over the years, the best ftp program for me as well has been filezilla.

•••
I am using filezilla too. It is free to download.
I also use wsftp too. It is no longer free.

•••
I use both CuteFTP & SmartFTP. But I found SmartFTP more useful.

•••
•••
For me a good FTP client is a program that "knows" more than just it. I use Total commander to browse the files on my pc and also for FTP transfers.

•••
Use the Total Commander's FTP ability, works great for me.

All the best,

SW

•••
I also use Filezilla....its free and very functional

•••
Id go with either of the following:

FlashFXP
UltraFTP
FTPRush

•••
SmartFTP

Definitely SmartFTP. Simple and reliable.

Good luck!

•••
•••
I don't want to count how many people have already said it, but I agree with the SmartFTP crowd.

However, noone has actually given a link to it yet, so here you go: http://www.smartftp.com

(yeah, I know you could've figured that out and all, but figured I'd throw it up as long as I was posting)

•••
Another vote for FileZilla :P

•••
I got hooked on cuteftp years ago (ver 4.2). I refuse to upgrade because of 1 neat feature. Live file editing. With cuteftp I can "edit" a remote file....it will download a temp file, open cutehtml, and then I click "save to remote" and BAM....live file editing.

I can find and replace and edit 30-40 files with no problems doing this (maybe more never tried). CuteFTP saves all my passwords and accounts as well. You can even export the list for backup or viewing in case you forgot the password. CuteFTP also allows for multiple file or folder uploads.

Anyways it's been good to me for about 5-6 years now. I tried smartftp..lacks the features I normally used (mentioned above) but I find it an excellent free replacement.

CuteFTP is not free and I can't even recommend you buy the latest version. IMHO it sucks.

•••
another vote here for filezilla.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back