NameSilo

WhatIsMyIP.com | Sold for $386,100.00 on Ebay

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
that is a very famous website for gamers though.

•••
With traffic bandwidth at close to 3GB a day this one is not for the faint-of-heart
B-) Quote from Listing Page

Actually PR6 on the www version ~

www.whatismyip.com 325,999 <<< Links @ Mktlp (5,000 + @ goog)
Top 10,000 @ Alexa

Definitely some traffic there ~ :lala:

•••
WOW its at $386,100.00 now!

•••
•••
Not amazing at all... that sites been getting lots of mentions for a long time now... for a VERY simple and practical "easy to remember" reason. Crazy, but very pragmatic if you think about it. I'm not surprised by the traffic, I actually visited there today randomly and saw the eBay notice. It was at $50,000 then, and I didn't think that was outrageous. At least not at that point. eBay auctions always attract loonies after a while though.

~ Nexus

•••
I even made a program once for myself, based on WhatIsMyIP.com, still works :) It's a very popular service, very old too!

•••
vip-ip said:
I even made a program once for myself, based on WhatIsMyIP.com, still works :) It's a very popular service, very old too!
Right place, right time, right name. :) I have a page up like that myself that gets all the support information I need from my clients.
http://websupport.directnexus.com
When they fill out the form the script automatically grabs as MUCH information about them as possible so that when they send it off, I know much more than they took the time to fill out themselves. Always useful.

~ Nexus

•••
Didn't take long for him to Change the notice on His site ~ :sold: ~ Hope everything goes well for him !!!

•••
According to the counter, almost 60,000 people have visited the auction page. I'd love that amount of visitors for my normal website!

•••
What an amazing sale. Good for them!

•••
•••
If I had the money, for sure I'd buy it. Money to be made there.

•••
•••
yup nice eh...
nice...
I could whip up one right now lol...
but no traffic...
cos that one ha been around for 6 years

•••
so everyone, if you had that kind of money would you have bought it to?

•••
alegend said:

Who wouldnt....i would :)

•••
I would to, over time you would make your money back + alot more :)

•••
where can i get a script just like theres? I want one that tells the info he does?
email me
[email protected]

•••
I wouldve bought it!

Chances there to make your money back, plus much much more!

•••
alegend said:

That's actually a hard one - :|

The Domain was definitely worth the Money for someone looking to buy something with Existing Traffic and Users , But $386,100.00 is a Good Chunk of R&D as well as promotion money in the right hands. :tu:

•••
webuyhosts said:
where can i get a script just like theres? I want one that tells the info he does?

Well, I dunno much about asp, but if you want something like that, upload a .php file (to a PHP able server, of course), containing the following lines:
PHP:
<?php 
$show_ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
ECHO "Your IP is: ".$show_ip;
 ?>

That's pretty much all there is. The WhatIsMyIP success is more on the name choice than on functionality. :)

•••
virgil said:
That's pretty much all there is. The WhatIsMyIP success is more on the name choice than on functionality. :)
Agreed. Also add "Google-like" simplicity/focus on what people wanted in the first place, and a gajillion mentions because of it. Simplicity is a potent ingredient and in a messy world we could use a taste every so often.

~ Nexus

•••
I would branch out into different services. Maybe develop some other tools for tracert, finger, etc. Maybe an expired domain section and forum. Think about how much traffic it would get if people had a reason to go back every day.

•••
hmm... i think that is dosen't matter what the name is (well, if the name is sodifosdifnvcue303ba0ef.com then people wouldn't bother to remember it) but the factor is recognition. If people recognise the website as a good website to find their IP address then they will go to it. Also I think that it has the kind of good WOM (word of mouth) that a website should have! eg: everyone can make a website that displays someone's ip address (http://poordoggie.com/home/?d=1&p=quote) but if everyone says to their friends that you gan get your ip address at this website then it will become more popular. It is gimicky too. I first used this website for fun. I used to tell my friends that my ip address was "***.***.**.***" even when I didn't know what it was!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back