Domain Empire

What will the the value of 3 letter/number .com, .net, & .org in the future?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jamminsport16

VISIT FREEZINDA.COMVIP Member
Impact
Well lets see here:

Over the last 20 years:
All 2 letter .com,.net,&.org have been taken. (worth thousands)
All 3 letter .com,.net,&.org have been taken (worth high $xxx and thousands)
All 3 letter/number .com have been taken (mid $xx to $xxx)

Soon:
3 letter/number .net will be taken
3 letter/number .org wiill be taken
4 letter .com will become rare/taken

What will the the value of those in 10 years?
Just imagine, over the last 5 years the amount of people wanting those domains have increased so much. I believe this is the investment & not land or real estate.

My only question is that there is a major dilema. About 5-10 years ago there was only .com, org., & .net. Now ICANN just passed a proposal accepting 10 more such as: .jobs, .travel, .xxx, etc. Isn't this going to hurt .com & .net? There are way too many now.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
4 letter .com's all taken soon?
456,976 possibilities
at $5 each that would be 2.3 million... Quite possible to see someone coming along and buying all the remaining actually.
I've got a handful of 4 letter .com's that I think are quite worthwhile, so my personal hope is that their price is more appreciated soon.
.com's and .net's and .org's won't be too hurt by the new extensions in the shortrun. How would they be hurt? Some new extension (.web or .me or .co or something) catching on and becomming widely accepted could hurt them in the longrun. Although it will be hard to unseat the .com "king" (.us is trying...).
-Allan

•••
yeah, its just so amazing how the internet has grown so much & will even more in the future. but if you got any 3 letter & 2 letter domains, keep em =]

•••
IAmAllanShore said:
4 letter .com's all taken soon?
456,976 possibilities
at $5 each that would be 2.3 million... Quite possible to see someone coming along and buying all the remaining actually.
I've got a handful of 4 letter .com's that I think are quite worthwhile, so my personal hope is that their price is more appreciated soon.
.com's and .net's and .org's won't be too hurt by the new extensions in the shortrun. How would they be hurt? Some new extension (.web or .me or .co or something) catching on and becomming widely accepted could hurt them in the longrun. Although it will be hard to unseat the .com "king" (.us is trying...).
-Allan
Actually we're not that far off right now. We're finishing our weekly run of 4 letter dot-com's avail to register and INCLUDING the q, x and z ones and it's looking like there will be just over 60,000 left unregistered. So we're not talking millions of bucks or even a half a million.

•••
so could be a couple years till they gone?

•••
great Points Allan and Sharon, I think the three letter investments are a smart play JAM. 4 letter own a few right now the 4 number are the n=more rare obviously and hold value too $30 to $90 Depending and If they spell anything on a keypad maybe more. Worddial.com owns like 6500 I think.

These new exts won't hurt three letter com net org WISH LLL .us would pick up. .info doing well not sure about .biz bought some for long run.

Last edited:
•••
.info is becoming quite famous, especially because of its cheap price =/
Yup I'm just starting to buy 3 letter/number .com. I have 2 right now: y1r.com and p0o.com =] hoping to save them for another 20+ years (renew each year 8.95*2*20 = $358. A lot of money to invest but I think it'll be worth thousands in 20 years. Well I hope =] hehe

•••
jamminsport16 said:
What will the the value of those in 10 years?

In 10 years, it's quite possible domain names as we know them will be a thing of the past.

Gene

•••
lol wut? how are domains going to be a thing of the past.

•••
jamminsport16 said:

Where oh where has betamax gone? Oh where oh where can it be...?
:D

-Allan

•••
IAmAllanShore said:
Where oh where has betamax gone? Oh where oh where can it be...?
:D

-Allan

Bingo :)

•••
I figure in 10 years a standard new .com reg will be a sentence and a half long.lol.So i think two word DNs will carry a premuim,One words worth some nice bucks! 3 and 4 letter .coms Get an escrow company!

•••
betamax = ?
sry i'm mentally retarted

•••
Gene said:
In 10 years, it's quite possible domain names as we know them will be a thing of the past.

Gene

I'd have to completly agree. Technology is growing so fast.

•••
jamminsport16 said:

I didn't say domains will be a thing of the past (although that very well may be also), I said domain names as we know them will be a thing of the past.

We all used to use DOS as our operating system with all the cumbersome commands, and Windows was born to create a friendly user interface that ran the commands automatically behind a mouse click. Technology will change so drastically in the next 10 years that domain names and web sites as we know them will be dinosaurs just as DOS is a dinosaur today. Heck, in 10 years we may not even be using keyboards as our primary method of data transfer. We'll have a much more portable, personal system of web access.

Gene

•••
•••
oh okay. Well what ever they are called 'domains or what ever new word' I think they will be very valuable in years to come :/

•••
jamminsport16 said:
oh okay. Well what ever they are called 'domains or what ever new word' I think they will be very valuable in years to come :/

What I mean is that I think domain names (____.com, and all other TLD's) will eventually be done away with, replaced by a newer technology that makes more sense to the population in general. Domain names will become valueless at that point.

Gene

•••
I remember in 2000, when I was a later-comer to domain names, I spent three days searching for available four-letter dot coms. I was dismayed they were all gone. Finally I found one that was available and registered it. Over the next few weeks my searches turned up another 9. I thought I got the very last 4 letter dot coms available. I judged each to be worth $1000 and thought I was sitting on a worthwhile asset worth $10,000. A year or two later tens of thousands of 4 letter dot coms dropped. Quickly, it became easy to register a four letter dot com and I let my ten names drop.

As a result of this experience I would never "invest" in four letter dot coms. In the last ten day at least 3 three letter dot coms have drooped egn.com, sji.com. rzv.com. If valuable 3 letter dot coms are dropping now then, ten years after all four letter dot coms have all been taken there might be 50 to 100 four letter dot coms dropping every week. Save up all your renewal fees and wait until then to pick up drops.

This assumes things in the future will be more or less the same as they are today. The great disappointment of my life is "the future" never happened. Tourist trips to the moon and silverfoil for clothes never happened. Things today are not that much different from 20 or 30 years ago. So things in the future may be the same as today.

Unknown new technology could make domains names and the internet redundant. Just like the new technology of air travel made trains and roads redundant. If there is new technology it will probably run alongside current technology. Or like the invention of space travel the new technology may arrive but it will not be widely used. Afterall the current internet is cheap and widespread. The cost of a billion people dumping their home computers and computing knowlegde and skills and buying something new and learning how to use it will be too high.

On the other hand, new technology could lurch toward domain names instead of away from domain names. If domain names took over from telephone numbers -- the founder of the internet thinks they will do. Maybe domain names could take over because on a telephone line you get a poor audio signal. On an internet connection you get full colour images and in the future it may be possible to get cinema-quality stereo and live cinema-quality images. "If" this happens domains names may soar in value. Or to satisfy this demand lots more new extensions may be introduced and buyers may choose these instead of run-of-the-mill four letter dot coms.

•••
What do you think 4 letter .us's and 3 letter-number-leter .info's are worth?

•••
hmm interesting st.easy

swimjenni
4 letter .us are worth reg fee
3 letter .info worth $50+
3 letter/number .info reg fee

•••
Thanks for your infomation

•••
yup. right now im trying to get 3 letter/number .coms because they are all ready taken. The .nets are only about 500 left!

•••
I found many people have stopped to sell their 3 letter .com.And almost no people sell 4 number.com in these days,and few people sell good 3 char .coms(I mean LLN tpye).

But, one year ago,it's very easy to catch a 3 char.com by enom(even reg it by yourself) or a 4 number.com.

The value of these name will increase in the next year,and we should hold them and found the end user for each of your 3 letter/char's .com names.

•••
yup thats what im saying. How much were 3 letter (not #) .com a year ago?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back