IT.COM

opinion What Will 2022 Hold? Input for future blog post sought.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you see 2022 as stronger than 2021 in domain name investing?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes, definitely

votes
    46.4%
  • Probably

votes
    21.8%
  • I think about the same, overall

votes
    20.5%
  • I see 2022 as probably weaker than 2021

votes
    8.2%
  • I think 2022 will definitely not be as good as 2021

votes
    3.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
I hope that many NamePros members will help me out. I am putting together, for publication at the start of 2022, a NamePros Blog article summarizing views on what the year ahead might look like in domain name investing.

What trends do you see?
  • Is there a new niche that you think will become hot?
  • What sectors will be highly sought?
  • Are domain name prices on way up or down?
  • Do you see the top, middle or bottom of market, price wise, as offering best opportunities?
  • Will ETH, meta and NFT stay strong?
  • Will the surge in .xyz continue?
  • What about .io? .co?
  • What about national country codes?
  • Will there be more, or fewer, million dollar sales?
  • What changes do you predict in the marketplaces we use?
  • Will decentralized domain names grow in acceptance?
  • What trends do you see happening in branding?
  • Overall, do you think 2022 will be better or worse than 2021?
  • What is your biggest concern about the future of domain investing?
  • What one thing do you hope will happen? Perhaps a new service you think the industry needs.
I am not looking for you to comment on all of those topics! Just select one, or two, and give your opinion, or comment on something not on the list.

While space will not permit me to include everyone's comments, my intention is to quote, with attribution to you, a number in the NamePros article.

Please don't be hesitant to share. Having many viewpoints, from all parts of the world, and from different experience levels, will help produce a balanced article.

Thank you in advance.

Bob

PS Please vote in the associated poll as well!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for this Bob, and I for one look forward to the fruits of your labour on this.

I think 2022 could be an excellent year for domainers IF the pandemic is brought under control (I’m not opening a Pandora’s box debating that subject, just making an observation).

Much of the stimulus funding government’s provide to kickstart their economies will, in my opinion, go to ‘future tech’ startups. They, of course, need branding, domain names and the like….

•••
I expect to see more inflated domain prices on the aftermarket as global inflation keeps going up.

Right now, there are too many startups reminiscent of years leading to the 2008 crisis and I see that number growing in 2022. Now, whether that's a good thing, only time will tell. If things go well, that means more sales domain-wise. On the other hand, the global economy might see a retracement or an outright crash next year.

But, these are just predictions.

•••
I expect to see some more ridiculous sales of meaningless Meta domains. I expect the meta domains to die off in the next 12 months.

I just can't see why anyone would want to live in a digital world but hey I am an oldschool fella so maybe I am wrong.

I think 2022 will be very strong and even better for domainers than 2021.

•••
I see the domain industry as a while gaining strength. The pandemic is forcing more people to work from home, whether for their existing employer or starting a business anew. I think this will see an increase in demand for good domain names of all kinds (EMDs, brandables, 4L's etc). Simple supply and demand. I also see extensions other than .com fetching higher prices as good coms become scare and over priced.

I also predict more insanity in the decentralised and blockchain spaces.

All pretty safe predictions I think.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for starting this discussion, @Bob Hawkes. As meta takes the center stage, I see more organizations adopting or using meta. We should not forget that there are several innovations surrounding the META rush, so, it's not just about meta. AI, 3D, VR, AR, robots, remote working, and several virtual-related innovations will get some good attention as we transit or adjust to the several demands of Covid. As you can see, Linkedin is gradually getting into freelance gigs as a part of their services to the network. Let's keep our eyes and ears open as we explore a new world where covid dictates the pace. Merry Xmas in advance. Wishing everyone the best of the seasons. Regards

•••
We had some breakout stars if you will in 2021 with the NFT explosion and now meta and metaverse related terms. This will carry over and we will continue to see some high figure sales in these areas be it meta, spatial, haptic, gamefi immersive etc

I do think overall holders will have to temper their price expectations a bit. Not everyone is going to or is able to fork out mid 5 figures. With many extensions regged in the best terms pricing will have to be very competitive and checked more often than usual and adjusted If you want sales sooner than later.

Net co io and xyz will continue to be viable options for a higher priced dot com imo. Dot com remains king but more and more consumers are turning to other extensions as acceptable alternatives and pricing structures should be taking that into consideration.

•••
Newby perspective so please take with a pinch of salt.
I agree with the comment above that the newer extensions will become more valuable. If the demand for domains rely on someone wanting to start a business then surely it’s the state of the World economy that is the most important factor. There have been lots of warnings of volatility. Who knows? Tech seems to be a main driver and lots of money is going into it, I am not convinced that everyone wants all the new tech promised and is it the case that things take longer than first thought. For metaverse and all that I think lots of eyes are on Apple waiting to see what they do.

•••
1) Is there a new niche that you think will become hot?

Crypto Mortgage

2) What sectors will be highly sought?

Follow / Analyze startuplister.com

3) Are domain name prices on way up or down?

T2 & T3 30% Down. T1 Up

4) Do you see the top, middle or bottom of market, price wise, as offering best opportunities?

You see, the market showed you a resistance level ... thanks to inaccurate automated valuation, then obviously, that's your potential top.

5) Will ETH, meta and NFT stay strong?

Yes... till 2025

6) Will the surge in .xyz continue?

Yes. XYZ > Wallet, chain protocol and related services / variables.

7) What about .io? .co?

... fast-growing & acquired startups/freelancer companies formerly known as .io & .co

8) What about national country codes?

More local/national companies think their business could benefit from global expansion & is not easy w/o .com

9) Will there be more, or fewer, million dollar sales?

The most innovative $funded (targeting international growth) companies planing to rebrand & to upgrade domain name to .com in 2022. (I know 173 of big companies plan to rebrand products and brand name in 2022)

10) What changes do you predict in the marketplaces we use?

Since only a fraction of domain names is currently sold, there is still huge growth potential in micro-marketplaces. The problem is: why unqualified brokers/experts get "hired" by marketplace easily than the qualified ones? In essence, the Marketplace should not play a role in making appointments between buyer and seller and brokers. There will come a time very shortly, where brokers will be fighting each other for first to sell/broker.

11) Will decentralized domain names grow in acceptance?

Yes. Many big brands have been able to understand this concept and have used it to expand their brand awareness.

12) What trends do you see happening in branding?

More quirky names (back to the 80's) v disruptive/messy/amateurish names, less "skills" and permanent related names.

13) Overall, do you think 2022 will be better or worse than 2021?

If you deliver a higher-quality, satisfaction/confidence & voice command-friendly T1 & T2 domain names ... you're good. For the rest of people providing donations to various registrars and registries ... receiving a thank you for your donation should feel good .. but ain't gonna happen.

14) ** What is your biggest concern about the future of domain investing?

500% more well-organized frontrunners listing your domain names.

15) What one thing do you hope will happen? Perhaps a new service you think the industry needs.

A Rock Solid verification process @ Sedo, Afternic, Dan etc ...

-----

** 14a)

2022 - Customers will buy more through messaging apps, social and mixed reality (hologram boutique) channels v websites.

Regards

Last edited:
•••
  • Is there a new niche that you think will become hot?
I think yes, there will be, just like NFT, meta, they'll be others in future
  • Are domain name prices on way up or down?
They'll be going up more
  • Will ETH, meta and NFT stay strong?
In the near future yes, But in the long term I dont think they'll stay for a long period
  • Will there be more, or fewer, million dollar sales?
There will be more
  • Overall, do you think 2022 will be better or worse than 2021?
I'm sure it will be better

•••
Still early days in poll, but surprised how positive everyone feels about the momentum continuing.

Thanks for all the predictions so far! I hope many more will respond. Remember that I am looking for any predictions. Don't feel constrained to the topics I listed - that was just to give some examples of things you might want to comment on.

Bob

•••
  • What one thing do you hope will happen? Perhaps a new service you think the industry needs.
Most domainers will lose money in 2022. But the dollar sales will probably increase as the internet becomes even more important in everyday life. AI will make domain name investing even more difficult for the average Joe or Jill. I hope that other domainers continue to ignore the option to develop websites and earn revenue from the multitude of channels available, because it means less competition for me. For the same reason I hope that the majority of people who take the wise decision to start developing domain names for profit quit as early in 2023 as possible. I hope that the domain name industry, this forum, other domain name forums, domain name advertisers and those here who dictate the general conversation, including your good self Bob, will continue to ignore/belittle domain name development as not really a part of being a domainer and therefore not worth the time-to-proft ratio - and not spend any time posting articles and blogs which publicise it. I hope to meet a concise band of people on this forum (ideally not direct competitors, although that would be fun) who do in fact develop their domain names for profit and that we can share tips about how we can improve. I also hope to receive high quality contacts and that I don't have to sift through 20-30 low quality private messages of amateur domain developers who aren't really serious and don't offer me any tangible benefit in conversing with them. None of this was sarcastic. Most of you domainers will lose money on your investments in 2023. Remember the big money sales go to individuals and not the collective. Most domainers will lose money in 2023. The only guaranteed way to make a profit is to develop your domain names. I wish you all namaste, namaskar and namaskaram for the year ahead. Most domainers will lose money in 2023.

Last edited:
•••
Most domainers will lose money in 2022. But the dollar sales will probably increase as the internet becomes even more important in everyday life. AI will make domain name investing even more difficult for the average Joe or Jill. I hope that other domainers continue to ignore the option to develop websites and earn revenue from the multitude of channels available, because it means less competition for me. For the same reason I hope that the majority of people who take the wise decision to start developing domain names for profit quit as early in 2023 as possible. I hope that the domain name industry, this forum, other domain name forums, domain name advertisers and those here who dictate the general conversation, including your good self Bob, will continue to ignore/belittle domain name development as not really a part of being a domainer and therefore not worth the time-to-proft ratio - and not spend any time posting articles and blogs which publicise it. I hope to meet a concise band of people on this forum (ideally not direct competitors, although that would be fun) who do in fact develop their domain names for profit and that we can share tips about how we can improve. I also hope to receive high quality contacts and that I don't have to sift through 20-30 low quality private messages of amateur domain developers who aren't really serious and don't offer me any tangible benefit in conversing with them. None of this was sarcastic. Most of you domainers will lose money on your investments in 2023. Remember the big money sales go to individuals and not the collective. Most domainers will lose money in 2023. The only guaranteed way to make a profit is to develop your domain names. I wish you all namaste, namaskar and namaskaram for the year ahead. Most domainers will lose money in 2023.

You ramble on a lot about developing domains. As you wish people to continue to ignore this option it's quite the opposite of what you're doing. iow, hyping domain development.

I don't disagree on the fact that development can be a very successful pivot for a domainer but 99% lack the knowledge and skillset to do it.

Also, it's a totally different game. Apples to oranges.

•••
Scwarz is going to purhcase 9th home, Oaxley is going to purchase another tank and this YouTube channel is going to grow https://www.youtube.com/c/InvisiblePeople/videos

As this channel growth, tho, I become less and less optimistic of the future price of apartments and tanks.

I've seen apartments go down underwater and tanks just stop, so this is business as usual.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Also, the rumors have it, offspring of the words richest die from overdose and suicide here and there.

Its open information, 9 apartments is you know...

•••
By accumulating 8 apartments in the wake of housing shortage, you are taking a huge security risk.

•••
smart people dont take such risks from what I know

are you getting what you are putting forward? probably

•••
I've gone for probably weaker (reported sales wise) and i hope i'm wrong about that.

The reason why i voted 'weaker' is because the first half of 2021 was fantastic for sales, 2nd half i don't think was quite as strong and the reason for that is NFT's, i think a lot of top domain sellers and domain brokers have taken their eye off the ball slightly, their full attention doesn't seem to be on domains anymore, most of these guys Twitter posts are now about NFT's and half of domain sherpa seems to be about NFT's lately.

Booth brothers made sales 2nd half of 2021, but a few of those came from BIN's on Dan - I'm just looking at one of their profiles on Twitter (Andy) he doesn't even call himself a full time domainer anymore, now it's "known as a domainer but considering new frontiers".

Last edited:
•••
You ramble on a lot about developing domains. As you wish people to continue to ignore this option it's quite the opposite of what you're doing. iow, hyping domain development.
Sorry if I ramble and this bothers you. I'll try to be more succinct in my future delivery. We can all improve.
I don't disagree on the fact that development can be a very successful pivot for a domainer but 99% lack the knowledge and skillset to do it.
They lack the motivation to be consistent rather than the the technical ability to be successful. Developing websites is extremely easy these days. Am I wrong?
Also, it's a totally different game. Apples to oranges.
I don't understand your fruit analogy.

•••
By accumulating 8 apartments in the wake of housing shortage, you are taking a huge security risk.
No risk no reward.

•••
Thanks for this Bob, and I for one look forward to the fruits of your labour on this.

I think 2022 could be an excellent year for domainers IF the pandemic is brought under control (I’m not opening a Pandora’s box debating that subject, just making an observation).

Much of the stimulus funding government’s provide to kickstart their economies will, in my opinion, go to ‘future tech’ startups. They, of course, need branding, domain names and the like….
In this year in China, the government also called companies to pay attention to internet branding, improving companies‘ self-ability of overseas market development. Meanwhile, the government started in Shenzhen, as the top four city in China, already provided startups funding support on the building of self platform on the internment, called independent station which means the website construction with your own domain name. All we hope the government in other big cities one after another will call and implement the same funding supports to kickstart and make the economy more active in the new year of 2022 in china, stimulating the domain name marketplace in China. And in the other words, China is a very big country with very active marketplace to influence the whole world marketplace. We all believe that the pandemic will be brought under control globally in 2022.

•••
I've gone for probably weaker (reported sales wise) and i hope i'm wrong about that.

The reason why i voted 'weaker' is because the first half of 2021 was fantastic for sales, 2nd half i don't think was quite as strong and the reason for that is NFT's, i think a lot of top domain sellers and domain brokers have taken their eye off the ball slightly, their full attention doesn't seem to be on domains anymore, most of these guys Twitter posts are now about NFT's and half of domain sherpa seems to be about NFT's lately.

Booth brothers made sales 2nd half of 2021, but a few of those came from BIN's on Dan - I'm just looking at one of their profiles on Twitter (Andy) he doesn't even call himself a full time domainer anymore, now it's "known as a domainer but considering new frontiers".
I can't agree with you more about NFT's have won the attention of many domain name investors even domain name brokers, which in many cases leading to the down on the 2nd half of 2021. But the actual value of good domain names will may draw back their sight in 2022, let's looking forward to the good things happening in the new year with the pandemic under control.

•••
Sorry if I ramble and this bothers you. I'll try to be more succinct in my future delivery. We can all improve.

On the contrary. I think it's refreshing. Lots of people here with different expertise. We improve by learning from each other :)

They lack the motivation to be consistent rather than the the technical ability to be successful. Developing websites is extremely easy these days. Am I wrong?

Not wrong at all. But to get back to my fruit analogy, developing domains to create revenue does take another mindset. Not that researching/buying/selling domains isn't hard work but the revenue generating side of it is pretty passive which is the main attraction for a lot of people I guess.

•••
It will be great for those that adjust their prices for inflation and a sad year for those that don't.

Raising money is getting easier and more people know a good name matters. A lot of people will also start their own business.

I predict 70 names will sell for over 1 million.

•••
Back