IT.COM

advice What Programming Language is useful for a domainer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What programming language is useful for a domainer?

Sammy Jakes

Established Member
Impact
I have some free time now and I would like to learn coding.
I would like to know what programming language is useful for a domainer and what specific domaining problem can I solve with it?
Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It seems "HTML/CSS" winning the poll. Interesting...

Please give me only one example that a domainer can do something with a list of keywords/domains by only using HTML/CSS. Or solve any domaining problem with HTML/CSS.
No JS, no PHP, no any other language.
Only pure HTML & CSS!

People do not even read what OP requests.

Such brilliant minds...
Why are you so negative towards everyone?

Based on 2 things about this poll:
  1. "What programming language is useful for a domainer?"
  2. "Multiple votes are allowed."
The logical conclusion would be that most people voted for several options with HTML/CSS being the MOST common among all the votes. Obviously HTML/CSS isn't the only useful language. smh

•••
I suggest you to learn Javascript and Python

HTML, CSS, Javascript are Mandatory
Javascript Path : Native & OOP, then Node.js, React.js, Express.js
Python Path : Native & OOP, then Django or Flask

But I prefer PHP for years

You can create API for Domain Backorder or Get Domain Name Sales from NameBio,
Generate Domain Name by Suffix or Preffix
Etc.

Yeah, I support HTML, CSS and Javascript because as a programmer myself I discovered this the hard way due to jumping them to learn other things and eventually being forced to come back and take it in that order.

Those 3 are essential for frontend and as a domainer, you will deal more with frontend than anything else except you want to build something robust in the domain world then you can add other languages as you move

HINT: When you start your journey with HTML, CSS and Javascript - learning other languages becomes more of a breeze because most languages have repetitive syntax like variables, function, if-statement, array, object, operator etc. and once you are exposed to it in Javascript....you will easily catch up with other languages...

Conclusion: Add a framework like React after Javascript and after that, you can go wild in the programming world. Also, learn PHP though not that useful in new advanced tech but it will likely help you to setup domain website like Wordpress and customize it to taste.

•••
Yeah, I support HTML, CSS and Javascript ...

Those 3 are essential for frontend and as a domainer, you will deal more with frontend than anything else except you want to build something robust in the domain world then you can add other languages as you move

What does front-end knowledge have to do with finding and selling a domain name?

You can work with lists and databases via the CLI without the need for any browser or markup language.

So front-end means nothing at this point.

---

It seems that the terms "domainer" and "domaining" have different meanings for some of us, which leads to conceptual confusion...

I think first of all we need to define the exact meanings of these terms in the context of this topic.

•••
What does front-end knowledge have to do with finding and selling a domain name?

You can work with lists and databases via the CLI without the need for any browser or markup language.

So front-end means nothing at this point.

---

It seems that the terms "domainer" and "domaining" have different meanings for some of us, which leads to conceptual confusion...

I think first of all we need to define the exact meanings of these terms in the context of this topic.

What if you want to build your own drop-catch software?

•••
What if you want to build your own drop-catch software?
I would say C++ or Rust as microseconds matter in the drop catch race.

I'm assuming you have a direct connection to EPP, of course...

•••
Based on the original questions asked, I'm going to attempt to give my best answer.

Q: "what programming language is useful for a domainer"
A: JavaScript - see below for details

Q: "what specific domaining problem can I solve with it?"
A: 1. Scraping websites, 2. API generated mini-sites, 3. Domain backordering script

Knowing JavaScript gives you a huge advantage as a domainer. I'll explain how below.

But first, I think most people aren't aware that JavaScript can also be used on the backend in the form of Node.js.

Node.js is actually JavaScript running on the server instead of the browser using the Chrome V8 engine. By the way, the Chrome V8 engine is actually open source and written in C++ so you could actually download it and make changes to it yourself if you want which is exactly what Node.js is doing.

Another point about Node.js is that it is really useful to learn because you only need to use one programming language JavaScript for your full stack which means learning just one technology to run everything on your website.

Of course you'll still need a few other technologies like HTML and CSS but pretty much everything else is JavaScript. You could even add your favorite JavaScript Framework like Nuxt or Quasar (which are based on Vue) and you'd be able to build some pretty amazing websites.

At this point I'll mention Typescript which is a superset of JavaScript and is also very popular. Basically Typescript adds type checking to JavaScript and helps to make JavaScript less error prone.

I'm currently working in the MEVN stack which is related to the MEAN stack the Angular version.
MEAN is a free and open-source JavaScript software stack for building dynamic web sites and web applications. Because all components of the MEAN stack support programs that are written in JavaScript, MEAN applications can be written in one language for both server-side and client-side execution environments.
Wikipedia

For me I prefer Vue over Angular so the A in MEAN is replaced with a V resulting in the MEVN stack.

The term MEVN is used to describe the 4 technologies that work extremely well together. MongoDB, Express.js, Vue and Node.js.
  1. MongoDB is the database
  2. Express.js is a Node.js framework
  3. Vue is a JavaScript framework
  4. Node.js is JavaScript used on the server
I recently discovered an amazing tool called MEVN CLI that helps you quickly and easily setup everything you need to get going with the MEVN stack.

Here's a great preview video of it if you want to check it out.

MEVN STACK TUTORIAL (MERN STACK KILLER?) // VUE.JS WITH MONGODB, Express, Node AND MEVN CLI

In this video, he sets up the MEVN stack using NUXT which is my preferred flavor of Vue but you could use standard Vue if you want.

BTW, Nuxt 3 was just released in public beta and it's looking so much easier to use and totally amazing.

So at the beginning of this comment, I made the claim that knowing JavaScript gives you a huge advantage as a domainer, and now I'll give 3 examples to support my claim.

1. Node.js is an excellent tool to use for scraping websites. By scraping websites you can gather keyword intelligence and sales data in whatever niche you need and that data will give you a huge advantage when promoting your domains.

Here's a great video and article to show how quick and easy it is to use Node.js for scraping.

Web Scraping in Node.js!

2. You can easily setup a MEVN stack website using common API's to grab content on different topics. There are 100's if not 1000's of different API's available where you can get the latest news, weather and sports as well as other specialty topics. The range of other topics could include new scientific advances, space projects, Crypto, Forex, Stocks and even Arts and Crafts plus many many more. Building fully functional mini-sites for your domains can increase their value and make it much easier to promote and command higher prices for your domains. You could even flip the websites for more profits.

3. Easily create a domain backordering script using Node.js as I have previously posted.

Domain Backordering using Node.js & Firebase Functions

•••
To me a bit of php+html with the help of some unix commands is enough for everything related to domaining...

•••
•••
Back