IT.COM

question What name for website in social media

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gee

Established Member
Impact
Hey people, I need to create accounts in social media to promote a website. What is the best practise while creating the names in twitter, Instagram, etc. Is that "domainname" or "domainname.com"?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great question. Unfortunately you posted it in the wrong forum section and may never get the answers you deserve. Have it moved.

•••
•••
Thanks, I thought so, readability of the nick is better in this case. But I saw accounts having domainnamecom as a nickname. I suppose it is rather necessity than deliberate choice. Anyone having different opinion?

•••
We've used many different options. Many of our domains are premium generic, so we can't get the "Domain" user names. Whenever possible we do though.
  • Example for DJs.com we have IG: DJS

In most cases we have to include the Com.
  • Example for Towing.com we have Facebook: TowingCom

Our third fall back option is to spell out the Dot.
  • Example for Towing.com on Twitter we use: TowingDotCom

Hope that makes sense and is helpful.

Finally, think of your usernames and handles like domains. On popular sites they have significant value.

For instance if your domain name is GreatTowingCompany.com I would recommend you still going for usernames:
  • Towing
  • TowingCompany
Before you go for GreatTowingCompany.

•••
Thanks, I thought so, readability of the nick is better in this case. But I saw accounts having domainnamecom as a nickname. I suppose it is rather necessity than deliberate choice. Anyone having different opinion?

it depends, I found that at twitter, and IG there are usernames with ending com, it is similar to official :D personally I always look for a name that sounds better, if the handle will be better with com, why not?! it does not change the meaning

•••
I was stunned to learn that it was so difficult to find an available user it is easier to find a dot com.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back