Dynadot

What is your process after you buy a domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

wilbo

Established Member
Impact
I am very new at this and am wondering what the pros do when they purchase a new domain. I would think that a person would immediately park it and try to get a few clicks out of it, but the what? Do you have your own site you list it on or do you immediately list it at an site like Flippa or Sedo?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I would would immediately park it and list it at Sedo?

edited your question to provide my answer

:)

Good Luck!

imo...

•••
1. Change nameservers to Bodis nameservers
2. Add domain at bodis.com
3. Add to GD/Afternic/Sedo
4. Add to Uniregistry/Flippa/many similar but less popular sites... (i do this once every few months)
5. Send emails.
6. $$$

•••
4. Add to Uniregistry/Flippa/many similar but less popular sites... (i do this once every few months)
5. Send emails.
6. $$$

@wilbo Thanks for starting this thread, although I know a little of what to do after buying a domain but it's was a question in my mind to get more details,

@Haris Thanks, I'm newbie also, I have few questions,
1) how to value the domain you buy, for example in NameBio, you may find different sold prices for same or comparable domains,
2) I don't know exactly if I have a bad domain, a good domain or an excellent one , so do you put as a Make Offer or Buy It Now price (which is not known how to decide).
3) Do you put the same price ( If BIN) in all marketplaces you mentioned. If different then why.
4) Is it needed to list the domain also in small marketplaces or Sedo/Afternic/GD cover most of the markets. Why?
5) Marketplaces you mentioned have exclusivity for listing on them even as a normal listing not auctions, so is it secure for your account with each marketplace not to close or suspend it.
6) You said parking at first step, is parking still worth doing, how much you can earn with it. why Bodis is it the best., why?
7) Send emails, should I have my own sales page for the domain, is it better for doing the outbound marketing or not important when the end-user go and find a parked page.
8) Should I have a website ( have a brandable name ) for myself and list all my domains in it.

Thanks for everyone and the community.

•••
@wilbo Thanks for starting this thread, although I know a little of what to do after buying a domain but it's was a question in my mind to get more details,

@Haris Thanks, I'm newbie also, I have few questions,
1) how to value the domain you buy, for example in NameBio, you may find different sold prices for same or comparable domains,
2) I don't know exactly if I have a bad domain, a good domain or an excellent one , so do you put as a Make Offer or Buy It Now price (which is not known how to decide).
3) Do you put the same price ( If BIN) in all marketplaces you mentioned. If different then why.
4) Is it needed to list the domain also in small marketplaces or Sedo/Afternic/GD cover most of the markets. Why?
5) Marketplaces you mentioned have exclusivity for listing on them even as a normal listing not auctions, so is it secure for your account with each marketplace not to close or suspend it.
6) You said parking at first step, is parking still worth doing, how much you can earn with it. why Bodis is it the best., why?
7) Send emails, should I have my own sales page for the domain, is it better for doing the outbound marketing or not important when the end-user go and find a parked page.
8) Should I have a website ( have a brandable name ) for myself and list all my domains in it.

Thanks for everyone and the community.

1) Valuation is hard, we can't just look at related sales at namebio and think that our somewhat similar domain is worth the same amount that a particular domain sold for. We don't know the circumstances of the seller/buyer. Valuation won't change anything, btw, The sale price depends on the buyer's budget and seller's negotiation skills. I just come up with a price which I think is the right/fair price for both me and the buyer.

2) I always list with BIN price at Afternic/Sedo as it leads to more sales because of their partner networks.

3) The BIN price is a little different on all platforms, I don't know why. lol. No big deal mate.

4) Sedo/Afternic/GD is enough, but there is a little chance that the buyer will find your domain on a less popular platform, but I only do it once every few months.

5) If you list as a classified listing with BIN price on multiple platforms, and the domain sells on one platform then you must remove it from all other platforms where you have listed that domain with BIN price. Because you may get in trouble if that sold domain gets sold on another platform too. Time consuming but may save you from trouble in future. If the classified listing doesn't have a BIN price, then there is no need to worry even if the domain has sold.

6) I never mentioned parking, but I understand that most people would think "changing nameservers" to bodis is parking, but I'm not parking, I only park 1% of my portfolio, the rest forwards to bodis landers (example). This way I can let the buyers directly make an offer, those buyers who aren't aware of whois and domain buying platforms. I can also check the unique visits etc.

Bodis is best because it's the fastest (imo) and it's has extra features which I don't think other parking platforms provide. For example: We can directly forward our domain in a few seconds wherever we want and we will never have to change our nameservers again. Bodis doesn't benefit from these forwarding and lander (can be integrated with escrow) services, yet it lets us use them for free.

7) As I stated in (6), the domain forwards to bodis lander, so when the potential buyer we emailed visits the domain he can see that the domain is for sale and he can confirm ownership by contacting us directly through the landing page. For domains that aren't worth parking, it's a must to have a sales/landing page.

8) Yeah you should, I don't have it but if you can create/manage a site, you must have a site with all your domains on it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
sit back and wait for the offers to roll in (assuming you bought a good domain)

•••
5. Send emails.
6. $$$
All of that, but the first I do is to update registrant info if needed! :xf.wink:

•••
All of that, but the first I do is to update registrant info if needed! :xf.wink:

That's very important if you're buying from other investors. Many don't change whois/nameservers when moving the domain to our account.

•••
@Haris Thanks for your great response, But I have few more clarifications if you let me please,

1) I think this point will be more clear to me as a newbie by time and experience I get from here at NP and others as I think till now I don't know If I have a domain, should I offer for $300 or $3000 (for example).

5) I know Flippa have exclusivity, so even just listing a domain there as classified (not talking about sold yet), can get your account suspended or closed if they noticed your domain is listed somewhere else. Also I know about UniRegistery, If you list your domains with them, you have to change your domain nameservers to their ones, so how you did landers with Bodis for your domain.

6) For Sedo and Afternic , they have premium network or MLS higher reach networks, so this needs to change your domain to their nameservers, so which is better for selling the domain faster and high price and more reach , change to Sedo or Afternich (or even Godaddy premium Listing) or put it to Bodis Lander.

Thank for your time and help.

•••
ʬʬʬELCOME @ nP

First I enjoy the great 'feeling' of the purchase itself.*
Second I use it in it's intentional way.**
Third I will see.***

* I am sure, everyone knows this 'feeling'.
** Listing it for sale @ SEDO / using it direct or as forwarder for own project/s.
*** This is actually the 'main process'.

Last edited:
•••
@Haris Thanks for your great response, But I have few more clarifications if you let me please,

1) I think this point will be more clear to me as a newbie by time and experience I get from here at NP and others as I think till now I don't know If I have a domain, should I offer for $300 or $3000 (for example).

5) I know Flippa have exclusivity, so even just listing a domain there as classified (not talking about sold yet), can get your account suspended or closed if they noticed your domain is listed somewhere else. Also I know about UniRegistery, If you list your domains with them, you have to change your domain nameservers to their ones, so how you did landers with Bodis for your domain.

6) For Sedo and Afternic , they have premium network or MLS higher reach networks, so this needs to change your domain to their nameservers, so which is better for selling the domain faster and high price and more reach , change to Sedo or Afternich (or even Godaddy premium Listing) or put it to Bodis Lander.

Thank for your time and help.

1) What you should focus on is not the price, but closing the deal. Recently I asked $2000 for a 3 word .com I paid $2 for, it's a mediocre domain with very few potential buyers. When one of the buyer thought that $2000 is too much and said that his max budget for the domain is just $250, I accepted it. Because who knows when the next offer will come? and I am not a guy who keeps renewing for years waiting for buyers. So just focus on the ROI and try to bring the price up but if you cannot, then just close the deal. $250 for a $2 domain is great if you realize that when you will sell that domain to a re-seller, the max sale price will be no more than $20!

5) I never knew that Flippa has exclusivity for classified listings also. If that is the case, then don't list at Flippa. I am not sure whether it is required that we use Uniregistry landers if we list our domains in their marketplace. Maybe it's required for verification only, I never had to it though.

6) No, we don't have to change our nameservers to Sedo/Afternic unless we have to park at their parking/landing page. It's needed for verification purpose only if you have different registrant email than the one being used for your AfterNic/Sedo account, or a private registration, in these 2 cases, Sedo/AfterNic won't be able to verify that you're the owner so they ask you to change nameservers or add a TXT record to whois so it can be verified that you are the real owner. Changing nameservers is not required at all.

I used to forward all domains to AfterNic landing page, but I realized that just listing there with BIN price is enough and I should use a free landing page service like Bodis, If a buyer directly visits our domain, then he can make an inquiry from there and I won't have to pay any fees other than escrow/paypal. If I park at Afternic/Sedo I'll have to pay a lot of commission for nothing.

Last edited:
•••
•••
1) Add it to one of my sales sites databases and forward the name to my sites sales page
2) Add it to Afternic & Sedo
3) Add it to Bodis & Efty in case I decide to split test sales page results between my own, Bodis, Efty as easier to keep things up to date across the board as soon as ya buy a name instead of having to add 20+ names to each service if ya decide to use them again in the future.
4) Stay busy working on my live websites to increase revenue
5) Negotiate offers as they roll in across my portfolio

•••
1. log buy price, date and source for tax purposes

2. switch name server to above.com and test how it does on parking across all the parking companies bodis voodoo and parkingcrew etc

3. list it in every marketplace for sale (sedo marketplace ($60 and 15%), afternic (15% to 25%), godaddy (15%), your own domain store

4. load it into our domain insights and portfolio manager tool to discover domain age, confirm whois, alexa rank and backlinks
https://www.toughdomains.com/domain-portfolio-manager

5. connect it to a sales page and promote it on namebio for $10 and domaining.com for $30

6. auction it at all the major auction houses flippa $10, namejet free, godaddy free if no reserve (not at same time)
7. email brokers, companies and interested domain investors to see if they are interested

The biggest mistake you could make imo is not knowing the domain age and how much traffic or revenue it could generate before selling it.

8. buy another domain

•••
try to sell here in nP or others. and buy next domain..:xf.smile:

•••
Actually, there is one more important question:
What is your process before you buy a domain ?

•••
As a newbie I must thank you all. I used to have efty landing pages for my domains but Trial has expired so landing pages as gone :X will try Bodis :D

•••
I wrote an article about me buying an domain investment and my exit strategy. I provided two examples in my own experience of buying domain names.
https://que.com/buying-domains-for-investment-and-exit-strategies/

In my investment examples, one is making steady income while the other domain is not.

I hope this help other entrepreneurs before to make a purchase.

Last edited:
•••
Very nice thread ... keep reading

•••
Helpful information in this thread... thanks for providing these pointers!

•••
After you got an domain get an hosting and start working on your site.

•••
Sorry for bumping this but there is some good info in here and I would just like to add to it if I can get some of these other newbie questions answered. :xf.smile:

You can add your domains to Sedo, Afternic etc or to a Brandable service but is there a time limit you should wait before doing so?

Reason I ask is because isn't there usually a 60 day transfer period that has to pass before you would be able to give a new owner their purchase, or transfer the domain to the service to aid in the sale itself?

It is this that confuses me when I read how people have managed to sell a new domain of theirs within a very short period (do they mean just to an end user?). I've read the service FAQs and tried searching for this info here and online but the responses aren't overly clear, and so if someone could answer this, I would be most grateful.

And again, sorry for the stupid question but one very great piece of advice I've read here is: don't be afraid to ask a stupid question as it's better than making a stupid mistake. (y)

Thanks.

•••
Sorry for bumping this but there is some good info in here and I would just like to add to it if I can get some of these other newbie questions answered. :xf.smile:

You can add your domains to Sedo, Afternic etc or to a Brandable service but is there a time limit you should wait before doing so?

Reason I ask is because isn't there usually a 60 day transfer period that has to pass before you would be able to give a new owner their purchase, or transfer the domain to the service to aid in the sale itself?

It is this that confuses me when I read how people have managed to sell a new domain of theirs within a very short period (do they mean just to an end user?). I've read the service FAQs and tried searching for this info here and online but the responses aren't overly clear, and so if someone could answer this, I would be most grateful.

And again, sorry for the stupid question but one very great piece of advice I've read here is: don't be afraid to ask a stupid question as it's better than making a stupid mistake. (y)

Thanks.

To transfer the name to another registrar than there are locks. To move the domain to another account at the same registrar equals a "push" so if you were selling a new name you would just mention that it can be pushed at the current registrar and no external transfers as under registrar lock.

•••
To transfer the name to another registrar than there are locks. To move the domain to another account at the same registrar equals a "push" so if you were selling a new name you would just mention that it can be pushed at the current registrar and no external transfers as under registrar lock.
Okay, I understand that. Where I am getting confused is where the service states about the need for the domain to be sent to them as a part of the sales process. Does this just mean that the service will simply have an account with all the registrars or is there something specific to them you need to go through? (or something else??)

Say for example: you buy a domain through dynadot, list it for sale on Sedo, it sells. Service asks for domain to be sent to them as part of the sale process. What happens here?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back