IT.COM

poll What is your participation level currently in the domain industry?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What is your participation level currently in the domain industry?

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
What is your participation level currently in the domain industry, are you full time, part time, hobbyist?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for the poll and I will be very interested to see the results. Hope it gets enough votes that it will be significant. I expect we will see a fairly wide mix in responses, but we will see. Thank you for being one of the most thoughtfully engaged people on NamePros @equity78 ! Always come up with news, insights, historical look backs or great poll ideas! (y)
Bob

•••
Said it before and I will say it again........
Hobbyist got my vote :xf.wink:

•••
What are you saying??? There are people making money doing this??? I am strictly a collector/hobbyist. (These names are like my children...how could I sell one and live with myself???)

•••
What are you saying??? There are people making money doing this??? I am strictly a collector/hobbyist. (These names are like my children...how could I sell one and live with myself???)

Haha Ive sold a couple for pretty cheap and then months... NOOOO I loved that domain i want it back! and try and buy it back... Ive gotten about 2 out of the 5 ive wanted back.. stupid addiction. They might not even be that great of a domain but oh well.

•••
* Part time - Domaining throws off some income but I could live without it

•••
For me it has changed over time and I expect it will continue to do so in the future.

•••
Part time - Domaining throws off some income but I could live without it

•••
I reluctantly cast my vote for Part-Time, running at a loss. For the last several months (as my one-year renewals come due), I've been stuck in the near-profit range. It will only take one good sale to move me to the other side, but it seems like a long wait.

•••
•••
I reluctantly cast my vote for Part-Time, running at a loss. For the last several months (as my one-year renewals come due), I've been stuck in the near-profit range. It will only take one good sale to move me to the other side, but it seems like a long wait.
Q3 is always weak from my experience. Including Q3 2019.

•••
It has been for me. Now that I think about it my first big sale was last October (Q4), and April was a great month (Q2). Hopefully sales will pick up for us all in a few weeks.

•••
None of those.
I get an income and tend to reinvest it (as well as buy some stuff for me)

•••
I marked hobbyist. But....I plan to do this full-time when I decide to retire in roughly 12 years. I do make money now domain investing, but mostly learning and building a solid portfolio. My portfolio has come a long way over the past 4 years.

I dont do too much domain flipping but I do run quarterly auctions on large platforms. For me, its organized, and I not only cover renewals, but I profit pretty well.

I do use this as a tax write off. I actually report my domain business.

I am planning/hoping by the time I do this full time (retired), my hand regged domains from now, will be 10-15 years old! :)

•••
Hobbyist. I am in profit over all in the 8or so years I've been buying. Only own 30/40 names. I enjoy going through the expired list and then getting beaten at auction by HD. Strange way to get your kicks lol.

•••
FT over decade...

Same here.

But "full-time" (in my case) equates to working 2.5-5 hrs/day.

There is no need to work more than that when you have grasped and mastered the fundamentals.

Last edited:
•••
Well, I sold domains but I could definitely improve in promoting my domains to end users.
It's wrong to completely rely on passive inbound offers(though it is convenient & lazy :)).

Sometimes it feels that I'm sitting on a gold mine, but I just don't dig hard enough :-D
So I fit in "Part time - Domaining throws off some income but I could live without it" category, well until I will make an high value domain sale or more.

Last edited:
•••
I dont do too much domain flipping but I do run quarterly auctions on large platforms. For me, its organized, and I not only cover renewals, but I profit pretty well.

Silentptnr, I'm curious to know more about your auctions. Do you have some kind of listing strategy that works well?

•••
I debated between one of the part-time choices or hobbyist - I do this not primarily to make money but rather because I find it interesting, challenging, and fun, like most good hobbies. I try to never put significant funds into it, but I put everything I make back into other domains and renewals, so at least until or if I change that, I don't in a sense make a profit. I view my approach as bootstrap - start with tiny startup funds (literally a few tens of dollars), sell some at low but profitable prices, use that to buy more and hopefully a bit better quality, and so on.

I am not surprised that there is such even divergence of responses. People have very different goals and we should all be careful of trying to influence others to go into what is the right fit, or domaining approach, for us.

Bob

•••
my hand regged domains from now, will be 10-15 years old! :)
This is an interesting idea - I should have started domaining 15 or 20 yeas ago! Seriously, it is smart I think to build your portfolio while you still have a regular income, and then look at it as income generating in retirement.

Bob

•••
Silentptnr, I'm curious to know more about your auctions. Do you have some kind of listing strategy that works well?
I closely manage my domains (daily for about an hour). I hold about 500 domains and I usually auction them in lots of 50-100 at a time. I generate about 3-5k per quarter with the auctions.

I carefully track which names I run each quarter and try to run different ones each quarter.

I will usually sprinkle in a few higher value or liquid domains to ensure I end up with at least 3-4k a quarter.

This way I cover all my renewals, new registrations/acquisitions, and have a few grand left to play with.

I primarily use NameJet, but I am doing more on GD auctions and Sedo.

I keep records of what I pay for domains and I never sell at a loss. Often times I score right here on NP and resell at 10x, 20x sometimes 30x what I paid.

It's a bit more complicated in terms of understanding the audiences and tastes of each platform, but for me, what I do works very well.

I also spend a lot (huge understatement) of time searching for diamonds as many NPer's know. :)

At the end of the day, like many have said, it all comes down to knowledge and experience, good names, good pricing, and a bit of luck.

I have attached my last auction report for Q2 2019. :)

NameJet2ndQtr1.png

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for those details -- it sounds as though you've hit on a strategy that works really well. Not bad for a side gig!

•••
What is your participation level currently in the domain industry, are you full time, part time, hobbyist?
I would have to settle between two answer options - have been doing as a hobby but that pays too, for the past two decades!

•••
I gave my answer before but I've been thinking about this question, and it deserves a more complete reply.

My participation level currently is at a continuing education level. I graduated in domaining with a BS :) way back about 2000.

I was a successful programmer and worked part time in domaining for about 10 years with a fair amount of success but I wanted more.

I went on to domaining "grad" school and almost got my masters but a car accident derailed my plans.

After the accident, my verbal skills were totally a mess. What seemed a minor head injury was in fact a life changing event.

I no longer was a really good programmer, instead I was struggling to just be okay.

It took me way too much time to explain any complex logic because the words just wouldn't come. I knew what I wanted to say but I had way too much difficulty saying it.

So I was forced to find something else to do. I found affiliate marketing and worked as a affiliate manager for awhile. That worked well. I learned new skills and started to combine programming and marketing. It was a lot of fun and life went on.

All along, I would do research to find good domains and without knowing it, I started to become really good with spelling and grammar. My verbal skills came back. I now know I can thank domaining for a large part of that recovery.

I was able to return to programming being much better at least being able to explain things. Unfortunately, my age became an issue so now I do my own thing.

My current participation level is way more complex than just one of these survey options. To me it's more about learning, recovery, being better and enjoying the process.

•••
My current participation level is way more complex than just one of these survey options. To me it's more about learning, recovery, being better and enjoying the process.
Thank you so much for sharing your personal story that is inspirational and probably a view of domaining most of us did not consider. The very best in every way, both in domaining and in life. I have always valued your positive contributions to NamePros @BradWilson and now will appreciate them even more knowing your personal story.
Sincerely,
Bob

•••
Back