NameSilo

advice What is your advice to the newbie.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello guys.
According to your experience in domaining, what is your best advice to the newbie.
Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Also, don't get sucked into the "gold rush" name chasing contests. A recent one was the euphoria about RMG names.

What are you talking about Kuffy? :xf.grin:

•••

I really believe that it is better to learn about the domain industry with a few diverse hand regs, that over-paying at an auction for one domain that is difficult to sell.

I agree.

I find that learning about a topic (such as here on NP about domaining), followed by considered action is a better way to learn. This is true in any field. For example, doctors go to med school but no one has ever had a business, made money or become successful as a doctor just from going to med school: they have to practice medicine. Same deal with lawyers, CPAs and just about anything else in life.

At some point in time, one has "to do" something. Even when you make mistakes, you still learn.

•••
I agree.

I find that learning about a topic (such as here on NP about domaining), followed by considered action is a better way to learn. This is true in any field. For example, doctors go to med school but no one has ever had a business, made money or become successful as a doctor just from going to med school: they have to practice medicine. Same deal with lawyers, CPAs and just about anything else in life.

At some point in time, one has "to do" something. Even when you make mistakes, you still learn.

Agree 100% - experience is gained by doing something (repeatedly), till one becomes an expert, does not happen overnight & there is going to be some mistakes made along the way. Constantly learning + applying what you learn is the key. Follow dnjournal / namebio sales reports to see what sells and for how much.

Eventually you will have to spend money to make money, invest wisely, avoid over spending. Like others have already mentioned, do it at a steady pace.

•••
So are the name pros members who report profits from selling hand regs telling lies?

I really believe that it is better to learn about the domain industry with a few diverse hand regs, that over-paying at an auction for one domain that is difficult to sell.

Most of them yes.
They sell then $200-$300 range
Like i said in my first advice, don't sell to cheapskates, you can't get rich with that. And selling domains for $200 goes to that category

•••
And when someone says something like, I register domains manually in2017. i think of Adam Dicker who started some domain academy, idiots paid $1000-s to him and he told them how easy it is, register domains and sell them. If thats so easy why he is broke.

•••
It is highly probable you will lose money in your first two years of domaining.

Learn how to develop websites because one is more likely to make money with website development (worst case is working for a firm which offers such services) than buying and trying to resell domain names.
If it is probable that you will lose money in the first 2 years then what is so different about the third year of domaining? If you are not making money in the first 2 years then it could be very likely that you should find another job or not?

•••
1. Purchase in-demand domains.
2. Make them easy to buy.

•••
And when someone says something like, I register domains manually in2017. i think of Adam Dicker who started some domain academy, idiots paid $1000-s to him and he told them how easy it is, register domains and sell them. If thats so easy why he is broke.

Frankly, anyone who pays thousands to do an easy thing gets what they deserve...in domaining, as elsewhere in life, whoever is selling you "easy" stuff is just looking for your money. Not Dicker, nor anyone else will give anyone the keys to the kingdom, and the luxury of buying "cheap" domains to sell for mid-high $XX,XXXX is long gone unless you're willing to put in a lot of work to learn and time to be patient.

If anyone has $100,000 to start investing in domains expecting a hefty return in 1 or 2 years has no clue how businesses/investments work. I can think of a least a couple of avenues where it would be best to invest in something more "sure" than an expensive lotto ticket like a "high quality" domain name. Getting "lucky" involves a lot of work.

•••

What is an in-demand domain now? Is it the LLLLs? The Chinese chips? The Western chips? The 1 word dictionary words? The Brandables, like the gazillion ones available at BB?

And in demand by whom? Because the only ein-demand a domainer should care about is end-user demand, not domainer-domainer demand.

All of the above, when reviewing older posts (older than 2016), have all been "in demand" with the naysayers for each category. And yet, here we all are, still buying and looking to sell.

As @biggie would say, "IMO"

•••

What is an in-demand domain now? Is it the LLLLs? The Chinese chips? The Western chips? The 1 word dictionary words? The Brandables, like the gazillion ones available at BB?

And in demand by whom? Because the only ein-demand a domainer should care about is end-user demand, not domainer-domainer demand.

All of the above, when reviewing older posts (older than 2016), have all been "in demand" with the naysayers for each category. And yet, here we all are, still buying and looking to sell.

As @biggie would say, "IMO"

Hi

i think that what @Beezy may have meant, when it comes to "purchasing in-demand domains":
is to maybe buy names before they are "in demand", and wait until they mature.

or, one could have bought domains that are in demand now and wait until the demand is higher.

for instance, back in 2002-2003 when Ron started 'dnjournal', prior to that, "dn" prefixes weren't in demand.

but soon after he started publishing, dn prefixes have been sought after ever since, and those with the best suffixes or keyword went first.

even today, there' are still requests for such names.

as for in demand by whom?

the demand is sometimes tied to the category, like "LLL/NNN.com or 3 character.com", which also has an "established graduated increasing price range" **(phrase coined by Biggie.us 1/17/2017)**

now who you sell those type of names to, may be based on how much you want for you them.

and when you consider the price ranges of those categories, an end-user or another domainer/ reseller could conceivably, offer the same amounts.

so in that respect, doesn't matter who or whom it's sold to, it's the price you wanted for them.

imo.....

•••
You are in a great place for your beginning. go through all the forum posts and gain. Also never sell a domain if you think you are not getting the right price for it

•••
Going in, keep one thing in mind, always: domaining is a marathon!

If you're a sprinter, looking to make quick money, flip something fast, then rinse and repeat, you're in for a disappointment.

Having said my piece above, yes, you can make obscene profits domaining. Sure, you can find gold nuggets (admittedly very small ones) hand-registering freshly dropped names. This is assuming that you know what you're doing and, from your initial post, it seems that you don't! So start small. Keep your cost of goods low, take advantage of registrars' promos. Stick to .COM's and keep your acquisitions under 10 letters in length. Actively promote your names to leads you should have had clearly in mind before registering/buying each and every one of your domains...

Go for it! Good luck (y)

Last edited:
•••
•••
Start slow and learn before you buy.

analyze every domain before purchase. Check for end-users and only buy if you'd be willing to build a business on the domain yourself.

Start with .com hand reg's, but avoid names that have never been registered before, unless it's a new technology. If a domain's been available for 30 years in .com, it's crap.

Use hosterstats.com to find out if and when a domain was first registered. Helps with the above.

Watch auctions. Keep an eye on the domains that get the most bids at godaddy expired auctions to get an idea of the domains the pros look for.

Be prepared to hunt for hours on end to find a needle in a haystack.

Be consistent and Use expireddomains.net daily. Get into a rhythm with it's search parameters, keep lists and learn what time things drop.

Price your domains reasonably and have a direct route to purchase on a landing page instead of cash parking.

After a year,if you've had a few sales move onto the auctions and start buying better quality names. If you've had no sales, try again.

keep learning and stay positive.

•••
Read, Listen, get knowledge, Ask Questions to your domainer friends or here at namepros, choose your niche in .com and in last go with your instincts. in start nobody's perfect, you cannot succeed unless you fail. Good Luck,

•••
Never give up.
Trust your intuition.
Failure is feedback & a stepping stone to greatness if you learn from it fast.

Good Luck

•••
I would like to advice what Domain King used to say . Buy one quality domain, flip it, reinvest the money on still higher valued domain and continue the cycle and grow your income.

•••
instead of buying (10) $100 names , its better to buy one $1000 name
it'll save you $100 per year in renewal fees

keep in mind I own 1000's of domains, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

•••
Buy 8 domain names ,and don't buy another one till you sell 2

•••
instead of buying (10) $100 names , its better to buy one $1000 name
it'll save you $100 per year in renewal fees

keep in mind I own 1000's of domains, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
''What you mean is Learn From My Mistakes''

•••
Hello guys.
According to your experience in domaining, what is your best advice to the newbie.
Thanks.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed. - Michael Jordan

•••
Network make friends with other domainers. Pick up knowledge from them. Analyze what you think is good info and mold that into your domaining. I learned a lot from others also alot from namepros. Keep learning and learning pay attention to domains that are selling try and understand why a domain sold for what it did. Also learn from your mistakes this is important. Don't keep making the same mistakes over and over.

•••
No matter what buying strategy you decide to follow, the first step to getting into domaining is acquiring enough capital to play in the market. :cigar:

•••
Go slowly and listen to other people's opinions!
Consider all the opinions that are given to you, but remember only one person knows what is best for you. Many opinions will contradict each other. Doesn't mean one is wrong. But which is right FOR YOU?
Learn how to develop websites because one is more likely to make money with website development...
True. One insider told me about how corporations don't have budgets earmarked for domains. But they do have budgets for buying companies. So, his company develops a million dollar domain to create a $10 million company. In spite of the higher price, it can be much easier to sell. Investors LOVE revenue. A naked domain has none.
what are the best places to flip without having to pay auction fees? I0r do you need to?
You get what you pay for. NP is a free place to auction. But, we are all domainers here. We have to BUY LOW and SELL HIGH just to stay in the game.

•••
No matter what buying strategy you decide to follow, the first step to getting into domaining is acquiring enough capital to play in the market. :cigar:
The whole point to getting into this thing called domaining is you can start with very little or nothing,I actually see things in the free catagory that can be flipped for hundreds of dollars ,a lot of these are soon to be expired domains but WOW ,its like finding a great bike in the garbage with a note on it that says TAKE ME I WORK FINE,and then turn around and put it on craigs list for 60 bucks. There is other opportunities for members from countries with really low wages so if they can buy a domain and flip it for a 50 profit that may be 2 weeks pay in their country,they may not be able to contact or visit an end user by phone or in person in the usa. so a lot of times we can buy the domains from other members and really escalate the next sale.
Its like anything else the middleman makes the most money. You can make more money here with no money if you work hard ,than starting with a lot of money and being lazy. GO FOR IT ,trump made 300 calls a day. NOW LOOK

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back