IT.COM

What is the longest period you have held on to a domain name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What is the longest you have held on to a brandable domain name?

• 1st

10 years and above.

votes
    68.2%
  • 2nd

2 - 3 years

votes
    22.7%
  • 3rd (tie)

I drop it after 1 year

vote
    4.5%
  • 3rd (tie)

4 - 5 years

vote
    4.5%
  • 4th (tie)

6 - 7 years

votes
    0.0%
  • 4th (tie)

8 - 9 years

votes
    0.0%

• 22 votes
  • Ended 4 years ago
  • Final results

Gabriel360

Established Member
Impact
I have been in the domain name for 1 year and 8 months now. Mostly, I have been dealing in geodomains. But now I want to deal exclusively in brandable names.

Almost two years in domaining and I have only renewed one name. But I hear things are different in the brandable market. So, my question is what is the longest you have held on to a brandable name?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have held on to most of my top tier folio for over 20 years :xf.smile: as a Domain Investor.

•••
I have held on to most of my top tier folio for over 20 years :xf.smile: as a Domain Investor.

Whoa! That is almost as long as I have been alive.

Thanks for voting.

•••
•••
Wolfwhistle is 22 and you can't call it bad.

•••
@Gabriel360 I think depending on your objective, you need to rephrase the poll IMO...you see a brandable name can remain in "strong hands" unless or until someone comes looking for it..and needs it so badly they are willing to pay an ask or come to an agreement with the seller..

Then there is the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" factor when it comes to brand-ability...99 percent of the names I see "domainers" buy these days (i hate the term by the way) is junk...not worth even the reg fees - but who is willing to listen?

Domain Investment (buying and holding a high quality name to either sell or develop) is different from Domain Trading (between speculators) which is different from Domain Reselling (buying a targeted name for a targeted client base)

So asking how long you have held a brandable name - is like asking.....what exactly?

•••
renew your names for 10 years
if they are not worth it
don't renew them

after another year
renew the for another 10 years
if they are not worth it
don't renew them

•••
15 years and plus...there's a fine line between domain investing and domain hoarding :xf.grin:

•••
In the 20 year - ish range and I'll " wait 'em out " till the bitter end, mine or theirs.

These are some EMDs all of whom I believe have had offers over the years but less than what I would reasonably accept.

•••
if they are not worth it
don't renew them

after another year
if they are not worth it
don't renew them
Long expiry is powerful.

•••
Holding domains since 1995 all premium names

•••
Holding domains since 1995 all premium names
Respect. I had to cull which wasn't up to scratch but to have them and hold em.

•••
•••
22+ years and still holding !!!
Trademarks
Orginal 800 vanity number

In for the duration!! .👍😎

•••
I think I understand what you are getting at. I just think it would be too technical to get into all the bits you're referring to.

When I say "Brandable Name", I am referring to the kinds of name accepted by Brandables Marketplaces. One word, two words, made up words etc that qualify as Brandables in the full sense of the word.

@Gabriel360 I think depending on your objective, you need to rephrase the poll IMO...you see a brandable name can remain in "strong hands" unless or until someone comes looking for it..and needs it so badly they are willing to pay an ask or come to an agreement with the seller..

Then there is the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" factor when it comes to brand-ability...99 percent of the names I see "domainers" buy these days (i hate the term by the way) is junk...not worth even the reg fees - but who is willing to listen?

Domain Investment (buying and holding a high quality name to either sell or develop) is different from Domain Trading (between speculators) which is different from Domain Reselling (buying a targeted name for a targeted client base)

So asking how long you have held a brandable name - is like asking.....what exactly?

•••
Most of my domain sales I've held the domains for an average of around 15 years. I consider most of them to be relevant to expanding markets today, that didn't even exist as an internet service or even as a. product 15 years ago.

I still think it is possible to do the same today, I don't think that many of us thought as things as a instant profit investment back then - unfortunately that's not the mindset today, people just don't realize what a long learning curve good domain investing requires.

15 years ago 'Brandables' would have been seen as real shot-in-the-dark. but today the fundamentals of good internet marketing are well established

Last edited:
•••
if they are not worth it
don't renew them

after another year
if they are not worth it
don't renew them

I actually do this with my End use domains. Renew them for 10 years and keep doing..
rest of them have to be on yearly renewals

my oldest would be around 10+ years

•••
Just to make sure everyone realizes, the question posed was about brandable domain name holds, not how long you have held domain names in general.

As I understand the history, and as @BaileyUK who has been in domaining a long time points out...
15 years ago 'Brandables' would have been seen as real shot-in-the-dark. but today the fundamentals of good internet marketing are well established

Of course there is not complete agreement on what a brandable is. Although I have a domain name I have held for over 10 years (and a development one for 19 years), I voted 2-3 years because the oldest name that I would consider brandable, if I exclude developed ones, is in that time period.

BrandBucket started in 2007. So it would seem brandable was somewhat established by then. Can anyone share more on history of when people began thinking in terms of not just product names, but names of non-existing brands that someone might want to choose as their brand?

Thanks for all the contributions to an interesting thread.

Bob

•••
BrandBucket started in 2007. So it would seem brandable was somewhat established by then. Can anyone share more on history of when people began thinking in terms of not just product names, but names of non-existing brands that someone might want to choose as their brand?

I consider I've been of the 'Brandable' mindset since day one for me back in 1997 (looking) 1999 (buying)
If you look at all the obvious 'Good domains' The self-explanatory (generics) most were already registered even back then.

The best simple explanation you can give to brandables is Can it be trademarked in multiple classes. But still retain its association in the publics mindset OR has it 'Memorable' characteristics in its own right. (usually short) but equally two generic words (short and previously not associated) also work.

Understanding the Marketeers mindset is KEY

Last edited:
•••
22 years.

virtualmapping// com

I was into VR and 3D-modeling and spherical photography back then.
USGS data was being updated regularly, and Google (Google-maps specifically) didn't exist.

Here is the oldest capture that I can find on waybackmachine.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back