Domain Empire

What is the impact of this new Budget on Registrars?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ber|Art

Berrie PelserVIP Member
Impact
What is the impact of this new Budget on Registrars?

I think the impact of this new proposed budget structure on Registrars is disastrous. A lot of Registrars will go out of business. A lot of new applicants will get discouraged. In effect the number of ICANN Registrars will reduce considerably to a small set of large monopolistic registrars, entirely against the principles on which ICANN was originally founded - ie to foster competition, globalization and growth.

What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The New Budget:

ICANN has just released the new budget for the year 2004-2005. This budget significantly changes the funding model of ICANN, and threatens the existence of a large number of Registrars. This budget will also not achieve ICANN's funding goals. Below we explore the effect of this budget on various affected parties.

•••
Pure speculation on my part:

1. It may force mergers and acquisitions to take place. Bigger
registrars gobble up smaller ones, certain registrars merge and
combine their specialties to take on the bigger ones, etc.

2. It may eliminate the really incompetent registrars.
May, anyway.

3. It may force new applicants to think longer and harder on
their decision to continue and if they'll be able to afford it in
the long run.

Bottom line: only the strong will survive. :|

•••
Bottom line: only the strong will survive.
OK, maybe that will be the case, I heard that the first ICANN registar already is down and out :(

But what will be the concequence for the endusers?

•••
davezan said:
Bottom line: only the strong will survive. :|
I agree with that one. :blink:

•••
Ber|Art said:
OK, maybe that will be the case, I heard that the first ICANN registar already is down and out :(

But what will be the concequence for the endusers?

No consequence, really. They'll have fewer choices but less
confusion. B-)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back