Domain Empire

What is the first thing you do after reg'ing a new name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kuffy

Name StagTop Member
Impact
I'm assuming that name servers and details are all set to your registration defaults, so you don't need to change those.

I get the feeling that for many domainers, they post the name on name pros, and then go and look for another to register.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the best thing to do is to add it to your hosting account, and load a holding page on the site. I'm putting together a template to speed this up. Once you have the name hosted, you can look at the traffic it gets after a few days. This can give you an idea of the potential for the name.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Add it to parking company to check for traffic.

•••
Some parked and some get a site. Couple new regs have a web presence already. Main thing is to check it is in your control panel and you have ownership before posting name.

•••
I don't assume the contact info is correct.

first thing I do is check the contact-registrant info.

•••
•••
What is the first thing you do after reg'ing a new name?
Dream. I usually see magical $xxxx amounts.

•••
Housekeeping: make sure WHOIS data and nameservers are correct; check the lander is live and edit text; post to Afternic, Sedo, etc.; last but not least: classify and add it to my domain database so I don't forget about it :smuggrin:

•••
Housekeeping: make sure WHOIS data and nameservers are correct; check the lander is live and edit text; post to Afternic, Sedo, etc.; last but not least: classify and add it to my domain database so I don't forget about it :smuggrin:
Domain database? lol in your notebook or u created a database purpoely for it?

•••
Domain database? lol in your notebook or u created a database purpoely for it?
Currently using a multitable spreadsheet, but at close to 2000 domains it's become unmanageable. Working on a php/mysql application to move the whole kit and caboodle to yesterday! :xf.grin:

•••
Currently using a multitable spreadsheet, but at close to 2000 domains it's become unmanageable. Working on a php/mysql application to move the whole kit and caboodle to yesterday! :xf.grin:

2000 Domains? damn lol...i need to buckle up,how do u cope with domain renewal fees? if u sell those huge collection you could live comfortably for retiement lol

•••
2000 Domains? damn lol...i need to buckle up,how do u cope with domain renewal fees?
Keeping renewal fees way down, mostly transfers during promos. I renew when it's cheap, not when the time is up. Multiple accounts with all the known registrars and some you've probably never heard of. Which brings with it another world of challenges - literally! :blackeye:

if u sell those huge collection you could live comfortably for retiement lol
That's the idea :xf.grin:

•••
•••
I forward the domains to a landing page and check that it works and then list on the marketplaces.

•••
•••
1st thing, i usually have overly high dreams about it . 2nd thing, list it on afternic

Last edited:
•••
I get the feeling that for many domainers, they post the name on name pros, and then go and look for another to register.
Not my style. I register a name and unless I plan to develop it, I will park it.

•••
@HKIBC - lemme know what you come up with, I am in similar quandary, last count 38 registrars. Quickly outgrowing spreadsheets, too many tabs!

Sometimes I don't even know I have a domain til I check whois, I use API on laptop in another room, so if I am at desktop I refresh whois so I don't have to manually check
http://gwhois.org is my favorite, no cache so super accurate

•••
Thanks for posting that link to gwhois - I hadn't use that site, but it's got some useful info about the names you look up.

•••
fantasize about the day it will sell...

•••
@HKIBC - lemme know what you come up with, I am in similar quandary, last count 38 registrars...
Wow! You got me beat there by about 20 :xf.eek:
Sometimes I don't even know I have a domain til I check whois...
I know the feeling vey well... sometimes start adding a domain to my monitoring list, then notice it's already mine! :ROFL:

•••
Add it to parking and change the nameservers

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back