IT.COM

Keeping your traffic after a domain name sale.

NameSilo
Watch

Kuffy

Name StagTop Member
Impact
I'm spending more time than I expected on creating mini-sites. This is probably my fault, because I start to get interested in the topic, and they turn into projects rather than just simple ad listings. I'd like to keep the traffic that I'm generating as a result of my creative work after I sell the name. ( unless the buyer buys the site with the name of course ). It seems to me that there are three types of traffic with the name -

- Natural traffic that comes from direct navigation where the surfer types the name into the address bar.
- Links to the site resulting from 3rd party posting and listing.
- Links generated by me from my postings and listings.

Obviously the first two are outside my control, and go with the name. The last category is under my control, and may well become dead links in the future after the site has been re-developed. My idea is to host the name as a cPanel add-on domain, and link to the associated sub-domain rather than the real 2nd level name.

For example, I registered DiamondT.xyz ( not yet developed) to help promote a friends vintage meeting next year. As this will probably be the last meeting, I plan to sell the name next summer. If I find a buyer, then it is unlikely that he will want to promote a discontinued field fair, so all that work will be wasted. The name is hosted as an add-on domain to my Kuffy.com hosting account. This means that two URLs resolve to the site. DiamonfT.xyz and DiammondT.Kuffy.com. So I plan to use the Kuffy sub-domain for all my links from my own sites, and keep these alive after the name has been sold.

What do you guys think of this idea? Do you think it is ethical if I post details of this fact in any sales promo details.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back