IT.COM

What is the deal with BuyDomains ?

NameSilo
Watch
Are they like hugedomains who buys thousands of domains programmatically or wait till the right buyer comes, or what is their business model. Are they also into brokering? Are they partners with any of the Big names. I know it is owned by endurance international, and I am very familiar with their hosting business.

On Namebio, whenever I search for any keyword, there will be a few BD domains after after the sold that sold for ridiculous amounts. Some sales are legit, but some looks a little inflated, but then it is the nature of the business, but they will have consecutive names. As if they want to get into the NameBio list.

Anybody else noticed this?

Also notice, that HD, BD are doing in large scale what some of the current successful domainers here with 20-10K portfolio are doing. Is if because of scale that I notice those unlikely sales?

Thoughts

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Mike Mann founded BuyDomains.com in 1998 with the goal of providing businesses with premium domain names that help expand their online presence. A leader in the domain marketplace, BuyDomains.com has more than 4 million premium domain names to choose from.

BuyDomains.com was the world’s largest secondary market for domain names. Mann sold the majority of his interest in BuyDomains.com to Highland Capital and Summit Partners in 2005. As the firm continued to acquire world class domains and Internet brands, the name changed from BuyDomains.com to NameMedia. Highland Capital also acquired the Seeq.com search engine portal from BuyDomains.com.

source:
https://www.mikemann.com/buy-domains-case-study/

Last edited:
•••
Mystery still spersists. I contacted them asking if they sell others' names but no reply from them.

•••
Mike Mann founded BuyDomains.com in 1998 with the goal of providing businesses with premium domain names that help expand their online presence. A leader in the domain marketplace, BuyDomains.com has more than 4 million premium domain names to choose from.

BuyDomains.com was the world’s largest secondary market for domain names. Mann sold the majority of his interest in BuyDomains.com to Highland Capital and Summit Partners in 2005. As the firm continued to acquire world class domains and Internet brands, the name changed from BuyDomains.com to NameMedia. Highland Capital also acquired the Seeq.com search engine portal from BuyDomains.com.

source:
https://www.mikemann.com/buy-domains-case-study/
It is now owned by Endurance International, that of Hostgator and Bluehost fame.
I was asking more about their business model.
Like we HD buys a lot from closeouts, dropcatch etc, if anyone came across them in programmatic bid, and other stuff.

•••
Last edited:
•••
On Namebio, whenever I search for any keyword, there will be a few BD domains after after the sold that sold for ridiculous amounts. Some sales are legit, but some looks a little inflated, but then it is the nature of the business, but they will have consecutive names. As if they want to get into the NameBio list.

They’re playing numbers game, and they sell 10-30 names daily, if I’m not mistaken. Maybe @Josh R can tell us more as he mentions/discusses their sales regularly on his podcast.

I was asking more about their business model.
Like we HD buys a lot from closeouts, dropcatch etc, if anyone came across them in programmatic bid, and other stuff.

I haven’t heard of any BD bots thus far. Not sure how they refill their inventory (if they do).

Last edited:
•••
@Mike Mann
Worth a shot ;P
Hahaha

They’re playing numbers game, and they sell 10-30 names daily, if I’m not mistaken. Maybe @Josh R can tell us more as he mentions/discusses their sales regularly on his podcast.

I haven’t heard of any BD bots thus far. Not sure how they refill their inventory (if they do).

To be honest I like them better than BD, even though I don't like Hostgator and Blue Hosts and how they conduct hosting business

I am specially interested in BD because some sales do look bogus, but it is only conjecture. I never kept track but there will be a list of names that sold of for low xxx on namebio and in between there will be worse names 2-3 that sold for XX,XXX . I never bothered to check the whois, but I will next time. There are good names too but way too many x,xx names that sold for xx,xxx.

And they spend a lot of money on media buying. A LOT. They are spending millions in advertising. And that is where my interest is. If they are not in the red, then, their business model is worth emulating, at any scale.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Are they like hugedomains who buys thousands of domains programmatically or wait till the right buyer comes, or what is their business model. Are they also into brokering? Are they partners with any of the Big names. I know it is owned by endurance international, and I am very familiar with their hosting business.

Anybody else noticed this?

Also notice, that HD, BD are doing in large scale what some of the current successful domainers here with 20-10K portfolio are doing. Is if because of scale that I notice those unlikely sales?

Thoughts

I have never seen a sale that looked ridiculous from BuyDomains, since they were sold to Endurance. The highest reported sale on Namebio in the last 5 years is $9,999. Most big domainers I know feel they sell to low.

•••
And they spend a lot of money on media buying. A LOT. They are spending millions in advertising. And that is where my interest is. If they are not in the red, then, their business model is worth emulating, at any scale.

Speaking of “any scale”.

I don’t think it’s true... One can spend lots of money on tools, advertising, etc to promote his huge inventory, but it may be too expensive for a smaller portfolio with infrequent sales. And if you reduce the budget you won’t get same results — for advertising, less data points to make correct decisions; some tools may not be accessible with small budget, and so on.

Last edited:
•••
I have never seen a sale that looked ridiculous from BuyDomains, since they were sold to Endurance. The highest reported sale on Namebio in the last 5 years is $9,999. Most big domainers I know feel they sell to low.
I see that now. 9,999 is the most for past 5years. is there a way to check prior to 5 years in Namebio paid versions??

Maybe from 5 years before because I have have seen more than a few times and the sales would be 2-3 together one after the other.I will keep a note next time.

•••
I see that now. 9,999 is the most for past 5years. is there a way to check prior to 5 years in Namebio paid versions??

Maybe from 5 years before because I have have seen more than a few times and the sales would be 2-3 together one after the other.I will keep a note next time.

That's when Mike Mann owned it, Mann got better prices than Endurance. The buydomains model under Endurance is to sell to the small business owner, a good name for a good price. Mike Mann gets better prices than 99.9% of all domain investors.

•••
That's when Mike Mann owned it, Mann got better prices than Endurance. The buydomains model under Endurance is to sell to the small business owner, a good name for a good price. Mike Mann gets better prices than 99.9% of all domain investors.
Makes sense when I tie the dates together.
Thanks

•••
HD and BD know more how to play in domain industry , they have a great team , trainned staff and more

•••
I used to sell hundreds of domain names in bulk from my portfolio to buyDomains back in the year 2007-2008 when they were on a buying spree from domain investors.

Attached is a small proof :)

8D25AD07-7E3B-48C5-A235-7F8C91D01936.jpeg

good old days!!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back