IT.COM

What is the best way to determine a domains parking/flip value?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Andarras

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,

I'm looking at GoDaddy's traffic for some domains that have a low buy-now value. Automated appraisals say around $1000 each, I'm aware that means nothing.

What's the best way to determine what a brandable domain would be worth?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Check for backlinks and any other possible means that may be driving traffic to the domain. If there is no apparent reason for traffic to exist, then it probably doesn't. Sometimes, people just forward traffic from one domain to another for sales purposes... And, if it's a "brandable" domain, what kind of traffic is it receiving? Traffic alone is meaningless.... It could be thousands of people from China looking for dragons... How valuable is that? ;)

•••
Well if your selling dragons to people in China, it's probably valuable traffic :)

•••
Thanks guys, will keep that in mind. When I say brandable I mean, not so much traffic, but a term that a company could potentially brand. For example brisbanefarmers would be brandable.

•••
Wouldn't they take the .com.au domain?

•••
Isn't it still better to have a .com than a .au? But that was just an example off the top of my head.

•••
Isn't it still better to have a .com than a .au? But that was just an example off the top of my head.

IDK... If you live in Australia and you primarily do all of your business in Australia and .au is very popular in Australia (idk if it is or not) then, I'd say you might be better off with the .au. I guess it depends on the circumstances and adoption rates of the ccTLD.

•••
Correct, in Australia .com.au is popular.
Today, there are 2,645,565 .au domains registered, which isn't too bad for a nation of 23M inhabitants. The TLD is restricted.

Some Australian end users may be interested in the .com of their .com.au, especially if they do business internationally.
But since brisbanefarmers.com.au is not taken the .com must not be valuable.
Do farmers purchase domains often ? Cooperatives might but not sure there is a lot of buyers.

In many Western countries the local extensions (ccTLDs) are dominant, many domains are registered by end users in the local TLD and they're not even interested in the .com. This is a trend in countries that have strong ccTLDs.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back