Dynadot

advice What is a good parked domain name worth if placed for sale?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

INFJ

I.T. Infrastructure EngineerTop Member
Impact
What is a good parked domain name worth if placed for sale?

By "good", I mean in less than 72 hours, you've made nearly $15 in parking profit.

I can't put this in the Appraisal section, because then I'd have to give away the name and other details, so I'm asking the general NP public, at this rate and pace, and you wanted to sell it (provided there are potential interested buyers in these sorts of domains), what would YOU ask for?

For example, would you ask for a month's worth of projected revenue? Or price it at a year's projected earnings at this rate? I have no idea, but your thoughts are GREATLY appreciated.

Sincerely,

sn952

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If it is a pure typo and the underlying target domain that is responsible for generating the traffic is stable you may be able to simply hold it for 30-90 days of history and get a decent 18x (month) - 36x valuation. The longer you hold it and the more stable and predictable the revenue, a greater number of parking investors could be interested and logically the more interest the higher the potential price. If on the other hand the traffic is backlink driven (old site) - you may still get the same valuation with a 30-90 day history but depending upon the backlinks some investors will discount the price because of the strong likelihood of the traffic falling off over time. There are always exceptions - you might find someone to buy it at an extrapolated price with only 3 days of real data but expect a multiple substantially less than the range above. There are other factors that could come in to play such as where you had it parked to generate the $15, how many clicks and $ per click, the industry category, the domain's prior history and status. The longer you hold it and the more stable the income - the better your price. For an astute investor the primary criteria often distills down to the stability of the future income.

•••
If it is a pure typo and the underlying target domain that is responsible for generating the traffic is stable you may be able to simply hold it for 30-90 days of history and get a decent 18x (month) - 36x valuation. The longer you hold it and the more stable and predictable the revenue, a greater number of parking investors could be interested and logically the more interest the higher the potential price. If on the other hand the traffic is backlink driven (old site) - you may still get the same valuation with a 30-90 day history but depending upon the backlinks some investors will discount the price because of the strong likelihood of the traffic falling off over time. There are always exceptions - you might find someone to buy it at an extrapolated price with only 3 days of real data but expect a multiple substantially less than the range above. There are other factors that could come in to play such as where you had it parked to generate the $15, how many clicks and $ per click, the industry category, the domain's prior history and status. The longer you hold it and the more stable the income - the better your price. For an astute investor the primary criteria often distills down to the stability of the future income.

Awesome detailed response and I learned something..thanks!

•••
Wow, I agree about the detailed response from @Jeff Weller

Unreal - that's the best response ever.....thank you so very much!

•••
If the reason for the traffic is as a result of been a typo then you may be limited to selling to customers who are interested in traffic generating domains.

But if it's as a result of been a generic word that's in high demand, you may have to check places like Namebio for average sales price of similar domains.

•••
Question: How does a complete answer become more complete?
Answer: Add @myfavorite 's answer.

Thank you so much!

•••
Usually no less than parking revenue for 12 months.
If just traffic is interesting in this domain.

•••
@Jurgen Wolf - Thanks. Do you mean I should hold onto it for an entire 12 months before attempting to sell? Or project 12 months of revenue based on say, 30 days of revenue?

•••
Hold at least 2-3 months to determine if traffic is stable...
Sometimes traffic disappears.

•••
Great, thank you very much!

•••
Hold your breath and see how it travels in a few months and see if it is backlinks or keyword type in merit. Worst case is you make some money as it settles and pays a few years off.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back