Dynadot

question What happens if we ask the buyer how much he paid..

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
We want to know if the marketplace is honest, or whether the domain was sold to a flipper
just before being sold to the actual enduser.

How can this be checked: easy, ask the buyer how much he paid.

But he will just ignore. ignore ignore. Why do people ignore. It should be in their best interest to know whether they were scammed or not. But strangely people choose ignoring over answering, whenever the answer would be interesting. What should you say to get the answer?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't need an answer registration fee who cares it is todays price.

If I am asked I will say

I am in the business of buying and selling domains and there are further overheads above the registration or purchase of a domain. Like any business we don't disclose our costing.

This is an utter waste of time as fishing for a discount offer money closer to asking price or move on. Make a firm offer with a time limit as your going to spend it somewhere now.
Kicking tires with questions like this.

Last edited:
•••
@lock you totally misunderstood what I say.

I'm talking about a situation like this. A registrar or Afternic or Domainagents or maybe even Sedo itself finds a customer, and gets 200 USD refundable money to secure a domain, and offers this much at most at Sedo, and we the seller know nothing about the buyer, and the actual selling price might be much higher, but the cost of securing the domain at Sedo would be as low as 50, 100, 200. And when the actual buyer stops responding, then we can't sell even for that low 200.

How to beat this game: Start with a successful sale, contact the buyer and ask how much he paid for the domain. And if they bought for 10,000 while you got only 100, you can expose it here. Everything will be legal, but not necessarily ethical.
And marketplaces can do something to make such activity detectable, by showing IP etc, but they don't which suggests they might be part of the problem.

People complain about tons of unpaid sales at Sedo. It also happens at Afternic. At Afternic you can't even learn anything about the buyer.

This is the most important problem about selling domains, and only I complain about it. Others mention it, but in a praising way.

Buyers are stupid in two ways here: They don't try to buy directly, by visiting the landing page, and they don't respond to an email like "I sold this domain to you, can I know how much you paid for it, so we can compare our prices.."

Last edited:
•••
Back