IT.COM

What happens if a buyer backorders a domain at GoDaddy (GD)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
A naive buyer goes to Godaddy and backorders the domain they want to buy.

And then what happens:

We get an offer via Godaddy, via admin email.
We get price request via Afternic.
We get lowball at Sedo.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The owner renews it and wait longer.
The streamers fall out of the sky and buyers gets domain.
You note expiry date and check whois wait out redemption and pending delete.
Buyer gets slugged with price way out of means and we hope.

Last edited:
•••
I haven't back ordered in a decade.

•••
By backorder I meant this:
An enduser wants to buy a domain.
Knows about Godaddy only, and goes there.
Searches for a domain.
It is not available, but "can be backordered".
Pays refundable $ 60 to Godaddy with the hope of getting it.
And then what happens, this is what I ask.

Now is GD's purpose to secure prices at both ends and take the difference as profit , or just take 20 percent of the unique selling price.
In the first case, the price would be as low as possible, and in the second case, as high as possible. First one would be unethical, and worse than shillbidding.
I'm not blaming GD, just mentioning GD because it is big.

We get price requests or offers at AN and Sedo, and we are not given enough (if any) info about the buyer. If we did, this would mean more and better sales, and logically this should be good for those marketplaces as well. But since they insist on hiding buyer's info (and strangely showing seller's info) there must be an agenda behind this. Either: prevent good sales, or secure prices at both ends and take difference (abuse of power, selling domains they don't own). This is the single most important problem in domaining in my opinion (if it is a problem).

Dan is better in this sense, but they show seller's info, and then buyers don't pay.

•••
You're confusing things. It's not a backorder, it's a broker service.

upload_2020-3-9_15-2-59.png

•••
The most inevitable thing to happen is loose the money :xf.smile:

•••
I'm not confused,,.. the same thing is called backorder elsewhere.

•••
I'm not confused,,.. the same thing is called backorder elsewhere.

I don't thing it's the same thing, any examples?

•••
I don't think it's the same thing, any examples?

I don't remember.. For example I search for a keyword, the registrar says this one available, this one available, this one not, and just next to this info, there is a link to "backorder"

Ok, epik says, backorder. dynadot says, make offer, others say one thing or another which all mean the same thing. (Namesilo: new namesilo is very bad. I search for an obviously unavailable .com, I'm not given any info about availability of that .com, or .net version, instead a list of expensive junk tld versions are offered; previously namesilo was working with domainagents I think)

•••
Yes, some of those are backorders. I.e. you order a domain to be caught for you, should it ever expire. Godaddy has backorders too, and they are a totally different thing from what you're thinking about. What you mean in this thread (going by the description) is a broker service, not backorders. And make offer is yet another thing, different from backorders and different from a broker service...

Last edited:
•••
Ok, then I correct it as broker service request via a domain search platform, such as a registrar.. Then my question remains open. Can we predict what that registrar or the agent they hire do?
For example, can we assume, if we get a 500 USD offer at Sedo, it would probably be sold at Godaddy or AN for 1K quickly if listed with 1K BIN price (with or without fast transfer)... Someone somewhere said something like this, and he explained this by "familiarity of GD", but maybe something else was going on: buyers were already willing to pay 2x and we didn't know it(?).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back