Domain Empire

What happen to GoDaddy domains after closeout price reach to $5

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

cillx

Established Member
Impact
Hi Guys,

Can somebody tell me what happen to godaddy domains after closeout price reach to $5. After it disappears where domain goes to?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
For .com domains. It goes into Registry Redemption Period for 30 days, where only the former owner can still pay a redemption fee to recover the domain. After which it drops after another 6 days.

•••
For .com domains. It goes into Registry Redemption Period for 30 days, where only the former owner can still pay a redemption fee to recover the domain. After which it drops after another 6 days.

Not that long I'm fairly sure .. after $5 I think the original owner only has a couple of days left. 6 days I think would be from the end of the auction.

HOWEVER .. note that there are now non-godaddy domains in godaddy's aftermarket that have a complete mind of their own. As they kinda half still belong to the former registrar .. I think? lol

•••
Not that long I'm fairly sure .. after $5 I think the original owner only has a couple of days left. 6 days I think would be from the end of the auction.

HOWEVER .. note that there are now non-godaddy domains in godaddy's aftermarket that have a complete mind of their own. As they kinda half still belong to the former registrar .. I think? lol

@cillx was specifically asking about GoDaddy Domains.OK to be absolutely correct. Here is their lifespan for .com domains on auction at GoDaddy.

expiry > auction ends > chance to transfer out (up to day 42) > Registry Redemption start (day 45) > Registry Redemption end and Pending Delete start (day 75) Pending Delete end (day 80) > Drops (day 81)

All the .com deleting domains from the other registrars approx follow the same path. Excluding the chance to transfer, because most registrars are not as generous as GoDaddy with their renew/transfer window. The lifespan is set by ICANN.

•••
@cillx was specifically asking about GoDaddy Domains. ... . Here is their lifespan for .com domains on auction at GoDaddy.

Yeah .. what you state holds true for most domains .. but don't forget that now not all expiring domains on aucton at godaddy auctions are actually godaddy domains a growing number are from other registrars. ( I mentioned that because most aren't even aware of this new change and the op likely meant godaddy auction domains .. not just the godaddy specific godaddy auction domains .. say that 3 times fast .. lol)

It's important to note on the original question .. that for some EXTREMELY frustrating unknown reason the final $5 level falls 2-3 days BEFORE day 42 .. so theoretically the owner can still get back their domain. Godaddy really should push everything back by at least 2 days (and even more in my opinion so that the original owner no longer has any rights to the domain AT auction time).

Also .. I got an amazing domain that they cancelled on me after 42 days .. no warning .. no email notification .. no credit .. when I contacted them worried because it had mysteriously disappeared from by "won" list that they claimed it was reclaimed by the original owner and told me my refund was pending! Its really hokey/amature/confusing/frustrating when something you paid for in full disappears without any notification. :-/

They are adding more and more regitrar to their auctions and this sort of thing will unfortunately probably happen more and more often.

Another question would be if ownership of the domains go back to the original registrar or not. If so then the dates will be a little all over as some registrars can hold domains up to a year.

Last edited:
•••
@Atergy - I agree with 99+% of everything you have said. I also agree the OP may have been a tad too lax with his wording, and probably did mean all domains. Not just the GoDaddy ones. But the one thing I disagree with you with, is the rights of the original owner to transfer their domain. ICANN says the domain is the original owner's domain up to day 45. GoDaddy says 42. Which is way more than most other registrars. Who maybe average about 30 days. I think the rights of the owner to renew/transfer their domains up to 42 days after expiry, is completely independant of the auction process. And should be so. Tough on any auction winners. They go into these auctions, with their eyes wide open, knowing that the original owner can renew/transfer the domain up to day 42.

•••
Yeah .. but why have that when it really doesn't need to be like that?

I just think it leaves the door open to fraudulent (more unethical) behavior .. more importantly a colossal waste of time and energy .. and above all .. huge needless disappointment.

Why not just synchronize everything .. whether delaying the auction a couple days or reducing the redemption time a few days .. doesn't matter which .. obviously delaying the auction would be everyone's first choice to give redeemers all their time .. but at very least align it so you reduce disappointment and not waste all the time and energy we spent going through the lists.

•••
Yeah .. but why have that when it really doesn't need to be like that?

I just think it leaves the door open to fraudulent (more unethical) behavior .. more importantly a colossal waste of time and energy .. and above all .. huge needless disappointment.

Why not just synchronize everything .. whether delaying the auction a couple days or reducing the redemption time a few days .. doesn't matter which .. obviously delaying the auction would be everyone's first choice to give redeemers all their time .. but at very least align it so you reduce disappointment and not waste all the time and energy we spent going through the lists.

It's not quite that simple. At GoDaddy, an expired domain can spend up to about 15 days in auction (between the auction and closeouts). So unfortunately, they can't delay the auction any longer, otherwise it would be over the 45 day period where they have to tell the registry to delete the domain. And if they reduce the domain owner's period to recover the domain, they would have to shorten it by like 10-15 days...which a lot of people wouldn't like either. GoDaddy tries their best to balance giving the owner the option to get their domain back, while still letting people have a fair amount of time at auction.

•••
Yeah .. I agree that wold be crazy to sync the start date the domains are posted to auction .. but I'm talking about sync'ing to the end of auction .. so that at least you don't actually win the auction on a digital property that someone else still actually has full rights to ...

•••
Yeah .. I agree that wold be crazy to sync the start date the domains are posted to auction .. but I'm talking about sync'ing to the end of auction .. so that at least you don't actually win the auction on a digital property that someone else still actually has full rights to ...

That still wouldn't make sense. There is the actual auction, after which it goes to closeouts. If someone wins the domain during the auction, they win it. If there is no winner, it continues into the closeout phase...and they still need enough time left to accommodate that.

Last edited:
•••
It's not that complicated .. eight now end of auction is on day 35 .. push it back to day 39 .. pull the deadline for redemption back to day 39 (or even 40). Then you have 5 days of closeout to day 45. Or cut out just one day of closeouts so that it fits nice.

Or .. at the very absolute least push everything back 2 days (right now wasted for no comprehensible reason) so that $5 closeout falls on last day of redemption.

It's the current 2 completely wasted days the irks me the most! At the very very least change that .. it will at least shorten the delay between when you win the auction and when you actually get rights to it .. although I really think they should go the extra mile and do what I mentioned above.

Last edited:
•••
It's not that complicated .. eight now end of auction is on day 35 .. push it back to day 39 .. pull the deadline for redemption back to day 39 (or even 40). Then you have 5 days of closeout to day 45. Or cut out just one day of closeouts so that it fits nice.

Or .. at the very absolute least push everything back 2 days (right now wasted for no comprehensible reason) so that $5 closeout falls on last day of redemption.

It's the current 2 completely wasted days the irks me the most! At the very very least change that .. it will at least shorten the delay between when you win the auction and when you actually get rights to it .. although I really think they should go the extra mile and do what I mentioned above.

Those aren't 2 'wasted' days, as you put it. Pretty much every major registrar gives themselves a few days leeway in order to make sure the domain is actually deleted. If GoDaddy doesn't tell the registry to delete it by day 45, they are struck with the cost. And I would imagine that there probably are quite a number of times, that for whatever reason, the delete command doesn't get sent, doesn't get received, doesn't get sent properly, etc. I'm sure they use those days as a fail-safe to make sure the domain actually has been deleted, which I think is a smart thing to do.

•••
But they'd still have 3 days for that .. days 43 44 and 45 .. if what you and @stub are saying about the 45 days before ICANN charges them their annual ~$0.18 renewal fee is accurate.

•••
But they'd still have 3 days for that .. days 43 44 and 45 ..

What kind of math are you using? The entire auction process can take up to 15 days. How are you telling me they would have days 43, 44 and 45, if you just said the closeouts should start on day 40?

•••
Should start at day 40 is what Id like to see .. currently I think it ends at day 40? Which is at least 2 days wasted even bringing what you and @stub want to give consideration for. I would personally like to see it synchronized even further .. but at the absolute minimum have the closeouts end on day 42 or even 43 ... giving them still 2-3 days buffer.

•••
Should start at day 40 is what Id like to see .. currently I think it ends at day 40? Which is at least 2 days wasted even bringing what you and @stub want to give consideration for. I would personally like to see it synchronized even further .. but at the absolute minimum have the closeouts end on day 42 or even 43 ... giving them still 2-3 days buffer.

How do you want them to do the closeouts in 2 days?

•••
Current Ownership Rights trumps Future Ownership Rights :)

Perhaps @Joe Styler can explain why it's like that?

•••
How do you want them to do the closeouts in 2 days?

And you're the one questioning my math?
*bangs head on wall* lol .. please go back and re-read my posts .. without mixing up what I'm saying what I think is the best solution .. with what I'm saYing should be a minimum solution.

The minimum I'm asking for is not changing the length of anything .. I'm not sure how else to put it .. lol .. it's simply to delay everything 2 days.

Auction start date: doesn't really matter
Auction end date: from day 35 to 37
Closeout end date: from day 40 to 42

Again .. I think things should be even further adjusted so that they aren't auctioning away digital property that someone else still has rights to .. but if not that then at the very least do the 2 day shift I just showed (and talked about this entire discussion)

Don't get me wrong .. I think it's great GD tries to give the maximum time for people to redeem their domains .. but I feel even more strongly that there are ethical, logistical, practical reasons for aligning the auction endtime with the same (or significantly closer) date remdeption ends. There are also serious auction integrity reasons as well. All in all the pros of such a change far outweight the current way and even the compromise middle step I've suggested.

More importantly I can't think of any reason at all why at least the minimum 2 day shift isn't done .. there would still be a hole .. but at least it would be smaller.

Last edited:
•••
And you're the one questioning my math?
*bangs head on wall* lol .. please go back and re-read my posts .. without mixing up what I'm saying what I think is the best solution .. with what I'm saYing should be a minimum solution.

The minimum I'm asking for is not changing the length of anything .. I'm not sure how else to put it .. lol .. it's simply to delay everything 2 days.

Auction start date: doesn't really matter
Auction end date: from day 35 to 37
Closeout end date: from day 40 to 42

Again .. I think things should be even further adjusted so that they aren't auctioning away digital property that someone else still has rights to .. but if not that then at the very least do the 2 day shift I just showed (and talked about this entire discussion)

Don't get me wrong .. I think it's great GD tries to give the maximum time for people to redeem their domains .. but I feel even more strongly that there are ethical, logistical, practical reasons for aligning the auction endtime with the same (or significantly closer) date remdeption ends. There are also serious auction integrity reasons as well. All in all the pros of such a change far outweight the current way and even the compromise middle step I've suggested.

More importantly I can't think of any reason at all why at least the minimum 2 day shift isn't done .. there would still be a hole .. but at least it would be smaller.

But like you said, there is still a gap in your example from day 35, until your figurative day 40. So even with your example, there is still the gap...so what difference does it make exactly how long the gap is? People are still bidding, wasting time and effort and research between days 35 and 40, in your example, with no idea whether the owner will renew or not. So I really don't see how this helps much.

•••
Current Ownership Rights trumps Future Ownership Rights :)

Agreed - realistically, we all want it both ways - if we are the Current Owner, we want the maximum days to redeem after expiry without penalty and if we are the hopeful Future Owner, we want to get a great domain at a bargain price : grin : Also in the case of GD, if the Current Owner renews beyond auction/closeout they are actually paying redemption, so why would GD give up $80 revenue vs $5 revenue?

This FINALLY helped me understand why all registrars vary with the expiration auction process, the slightly missing days have bugged me to no end.

Posted by @Paul Nicks
Each registrar is charged a full renewal by the registry on the day the domain expires. The registry then grants the registrar 45 days in which they can ask for a refund for that renewal, if the registrar waits until the full 45 days are up they are pretty much stuck with the name. So, each registrar has different rules around how long during that 45 day window they keep the name renewed, which I know causes some confusion.

For GoDaddy, starting on day 26 post-expiry we try to find a new owner for the name via our GD Auctions system (after many attempts to get the original registrant to renew it). Our auctions + closeout period lasts 15 days (day 41 post expiry) so we typically award the domain to the auction winner on day 42. On day 43 we take the domains we didn't find a new home for and request a refund from the registry.

We process through tens of thousands of domains each day, so there are inevitably slowdowns or delays in our processing that sometimes pushes the refunds back to day 44. These potential delays are why we timed it out to day 43 originally, so we'd have a little cushion prior to getting stuck with the domains on day 45.
https://www.namepros.com/posts/5983413/

and @Ategy.com you might be happier buying from name.com expireds, you buy it, it is yours instantly. The prices decrease over five days and include a years renewal so the last day of COM is $15.99, although they have had some minor price fluctuations. They are the ONLY registrar I know of that does instant expired, please anyone share if there are others.
https://www.name.com/expired_domains.php

Last edited:
•••
I actually haven't even tried name.com at all yet. Set aside the lack of auction integrity, godaddy does have a great large selection .. and as frustratingly buggy their system can be .. I've gotten used to it and have my routine .. lol. I realize GD is a big ship to steer and it's never going to be perfect ... but at the end if the day there really needs to be a better way.

Ideal solution ..

GoDaddy: "Dear Verisign, we are by far your best customer bringing you hundreds of millions a year .. could we please have a couple extra days grace period for names that will drop anyways?"

Verisign: "No!"

GoDaddy: "Who's your daddy?"

Verisign: "You are!"

GoDaddy: "Whooooo's your daaaaddy?"

Verisign: "Yooooou are!"

Godaddy: "Can we have a couple days leeway for everyone's beneficial interest?"

Verisign: "Yes daddy!"

And there you go .. problem solved! ;)

•••
But like you said, there is still a gap in your example from day 35, until your figurative day 40. So even with your example, there is still the gap...so what difference does it make exactly how long the gap is? People are still bidding, wasting time and effort and research between days 35 and 40, in your example, with no idea whether the owner will renew or not. So I really don't see how this helps much.

Nor do I .. I don't want my minimum proposal .. but even still .. you can't deny 5 days is not as bad as 7! That is very doable without on a thing! ;)

Then maybe ..
- Trim 1-2 day of closeouts ..
- Trim 1-2 days from redemption period ..
- Gain 1-2 days at end being a little more efficient
- Ask Verisign for an extra 1-2 day grace period ..

Then wam bam ..

- Your auctions end at 40 days and redemption ends at 40 days ..
- Your clients have less integrity concerns about auctions
- Most importantly your aftermarket clients are no longer mad and frustrated at losing auctions they won ..
- Closeouts can become instant transactions ..
- World peace ..
- @Joe Styler gets a ton of free beer/drinks from domainers at the next NamesCon!

Last edited:
•••
Agreed - realistically, we all want it both ways - if we are the Current Owner, we want the maximum days to redeem after expiry without penalty and if we are the hopeful Future Owner, we want to get a great domain at a bargain price : grin : Also in the case of GD, if the Current Owner renews beyond auction/closeout they are actually paying redemption, so why would GD give up $80 revenue vs $5 revenue?

This FINALLY helped me understand why all registrars vary with the expiration auction process, the slightly missing days have bugged me to no end.

Not exactly true. You can transfer out (at renewal fee) or renew with redemption fee ($80 + renewal fee). I'd guess it's only the less savvy customers who would pay the redemption fee. Most would choose the option to transfer away. I have no stats on this.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back