Dynadot

opinion What does it mean a premium domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Malin94

Established Member
Impact
So namecheap is telling me that my domain is a premium one. What does that mean in terms of selling it? Does it make more valuable?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Rank 1 as of now on popular namecheap

•••
If the name is short and is a dictionary word which has some demand, then its definitely a premium.
But the selling price quoted is high too, it will be shown as premium.
Many marketplaces are showing the domains put for sales as Premium actually.
So don't go for it completely. Just think how this domain name can help someone commercially.
If someone can earn a good amount out of a business and this domain name has the exact name or related to that business, then definitely it will have demand.
Better validate yourself or get opinion from experts in this field for a long time.

•••
Thanks for your opinion. Did some research, it suits more the asian market as may be used as a toy company name. I paid for an appraisal certificate and it says around 15k

•••
Thanks for your opinion. Did some research, it suits more the asian market as may be used as a toy company name. I paid for an appraisal certificate and it says around 15k
Sounds great. Seems like a premium name then. All the best.

•••
It means nothing when the registrar says it. NameCheap, GoDaddy and others like to operate such termins just so it sells better. Means absolutely zero.

Last edited:
•••
It means nothing when the registrar says it. NameCheap, GoDaddy and others like to operate such termins just so it sells better. Means absolutely zero.
Admittedly the term is used loosely, and appears to carry little weight with the domain investor community.

Registrars don't normally rank the level that the name is considered "premium." In other words, they never say that it's a #1 premium or #2 premium.
Are your referring to their AHRefs citation. They do report if a domain has an AHRefs SEO ranking of 1 out of 100. How significant that is, I'm still trying to figure out. It sure sounds good for my domains that have it!

Last edited:
•••
Highly overused term that means absolutely nothing. Even 💩 is marked as premium.

•••
Yeh, but look. It worked on me, helping to convince me to renew those "premium domains" over quite a few years. (That along with the messages about "your x name could sell for $XXXX on X). I finally wised up, and started dropping some of those "premium" spectaculars that weren't selling.

So the premium does have some influence....on those who perhaps just don't know better! :xf.rolleyes:

Last edited:
•••
Maybe it happened to you.

Sometimes when activating sell domain for x price, the domain search bar on namecheap showing premium instead of x price.

So namecheap is telling me that my domain is a premium one. What does that mean in terms of selling it? Does it make more valuable?

•••
Admittedly the term is used loosely, and appears to carry little weight with the domain investor community.

Registrars don't normally rank the level that the name is considered "premium." In other words, they never say that it's a #1 premium or #2 premium.
Are your referring to their AHRefs citation. They do report if a domain has an AHRefs SEO ranking of 1 out of 100. How significant that is, I'm still trying to figure out. It sure sounds good for my domains that have it!

No, registrars do simply say that many of their names are ''Premiums''. If your domains are on Afternic-GoDaddy, thru GoDaddy's search panel you'll see half of them will be marked as ''premium'' - that's all I meant.

•••
As for me, it may help.
You may use it on sale page, or like add argument upon negotiation :xf.wink:

1672827294692.png

Last edited:
•••
No, registrars do simply say that many of their names are ''Premiums''. If your domains are on Afternic-GoDaddy, thru GoDaddy's search panel you'll see half of them will be marked as ''premium'' - that's all I meant.
Sure, but there's an interesting twist on Namecheap:
Rank 1 as of now on popular namecheap
The term "premium," when applied to domains, has never been associated with numerical rankings. I was questioning the original poster about whether this may be referring to the AHRef ranking provided on some domains.
Namecheap lists in the marketplaces sometimes the Ahrefs SEO ranking, 1 out of 100. That's the only "rating" or "ranking" I've seen otherwise on NC. When a "premium" domain has a #1 ranking, THAT seems to be significant.

•••
Yeh, but look. It worked on me, helping to convince me to renew those "premium domains" over quite a few years. (That along with the messages about "your x name could sell for $XXXX on X). I finally wised up, and started dropping some of those "premium" spectaculars that weren't selling.

So the premium does have some influence....on those who perhaps just don't know better! :xf.rolleyes:

Well, good if it helps, sure, but for me this indicator is useless (like pretty much all appraisals). I simply didn't see a pattern when GoDaddy's premiums were selling any better. But sure it could be different for others.

•••
Well, good if it helps, sure, but for me this indicator is useless (like pretty much all appraisals). I simply didn't see a pattern when GoDaddy's premiums were selling any better. But sure it could be different for others.
You were smarter probably to ignore the "premium" terms. I simply didn't know better. I had a sense something might be a bit generous about the term's use, when even "hotdogbudgetcaviardreams.com" was always listed as premium as well....Not that it isn't a classy domain, mind you!

•••
You were smarter probably to ignore the "premium" terms. I simply didn't know better. I had a sense something might be a bit generous about the term's use, when even "hotdogbudgetcaviardreams.com" was always listed as premium as well....Not that it isn't a classy domain, mind you!
Well, yeah, to me GoDaddy's ''premium'' simply goes to the same basket of when they assign $ value to 99% of domains... You type utter nonsense and then you see the estimation of like $850...All newbies are like - WOW!!! But it's all nothing but a marketing trick in reality.

•••
I you mean the the "premium" word when viewing your domains list. That means that It is a "premium" registry name

•••
A premium domain is any domain owned by a Namepros forum member. :-P

•••
A premium domain is any domain owned by a Namepros forum member.
Especially domains that NP members are selling that...make no sense...are recently regged...ridiculously overpriced...and, are basically useless Pigeon Sh*t domains that no one would ever want. Sad...but true.

•••
What is a premium domain?

A premium domain is a domain that is already owned by someone else. Premium domains are more valuable than unregistered domains for a number of reasons including the age of the domain, popularity of keyword(s) in the domain and appeal to specific buyers.

Thanks www.Namesilo.com for the above explaination

•••
In fairness to the Afternic/Godaddy and now including Dans, Premium identification tag (as assigned by them) The algorithms applied by them do seem to correspond to what many here would agree/identify as the best of their own domains.

I don't give much sway to their emails identifying my domains as such But, I do take a look at the market for the domain just in case it's gained any additional significance (some of my domains are 20 years old) and occasionally I'm surprised by my single dotcom hand reg (from ages ago) has now got company of maybe 5 or 6 or more popular extensions also taken. I'm more skeptical because everything they identify has their suggested selling price of $5,600. (all the emails are unsolicited valuations sent by the register)

I do think there is some sort of logic behind their PREMIUM tag. but they'll miss as many as they identify (to my mind)

So this is a reply to the unsolicited Premium identification. NOT the tag given to all those sales-listings at $250,000 etc because the holder thinks its worth

Last edited:
•••
It has to do with exact searches over broad searches. A premium name has thousands of searches.

Last edited:
•••
A premium domain is any domain owned by a Namepros forum member. :-P
Ha ha correct
a premium domain name is only valuable in your OWN fantasy world

•••
Premium domains can refer to one of three things.
  1. A generic marketing term used to refer to domains that are desirable and that can fetch a good price on the market.
  2. A domain that's part of the premium registry, and has a higher acquisition and/or renewal price. Compare the prices of finance.online and znhsofbwoqa.online, both are unregistered, but finance.online costs $31,249.99/year, and znhsofbwoqa.online costs $49.99/year (Godaddy prices). That's because the word "finance" is part of the premium registry for .online.
  3. A domain listed for sale. Some registrars, like Godaddy like to call the aftermarket domains "premium," like this gem right here: vijzndfnqpnrqjluvlabozrhtgqjh.com, because it's for sale on Godaddy it's called a "premium domain."
It's important to understand that these are distinct definitions of "premium domains."

Last edited:
•••
Especially domains that NP members are selling that...make no sense...are recently regged...ridiculously overpriced...and, are basically useless Pigeon Sh*t domains that no one would ever want. Sad...but true.
Sadly some people see a 4 word, triple hyphenated, alphanumeric, misspellt .biz sell for 5 figs and reg something similar, proudly calling it 'premium'.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back