IT.COM

What does $1,000 mean to you?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What does $1,000 mean to you

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • It's Tip money, nothing to me at all

votes
    7.1%
  • If I profit $1,000 changes little and I could afford to lose it

votes
    36.7%
  • $1,000 is more than I make a month at my job

votes
    12.8%
  • $1,000 is a good deal of money to me

votes
    38.8%
  • $1,000 profit would change my life greatly, I could never risk that much in purchases

votes
    4.6%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Namepros is a pretty diverse place, members from every continent except for Antarctica. Discussions take place about money where many see their opinion as fact. Examples:

That's not a lot of money

I don't get out of bed for less than $5,000

Anyone can afford to blow 100 .com regs in a year

People pronounce their desire to never sell to a domainer, or buy from one. People talk about how they don't flip names for a couple hundred dollars. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion and free to do what they like.

But what does $1,000 tied up in domain names mean to you? Can you afford to lose it? Can you renew said $1,000 for 1 year, 5 years, 10 years? What about profiting $1,000 in a year?

Vote in the poll.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Guess I'm first to vote......Voted
If I profit $1,000 changes little and I could afford to lose it

•••
•••
$1,000 is a good deal of money to me.

•••
Both 3 and 4 alternatives are the same.

•••
•••
I don't think they do, I think there are people such as @AbdulBasit.com that makes more than $1,000, yet consider it a good deal of money.

It is a good deal of money however it doesnt change much in life especially living in the usa ..buying domains and Bills I blow through 1k like drinking a glass of water

•••
Namepros is a pretty diverse place, members from every continent except for Antarctica.

I shall move to Antarctica to fix this problem and I hear it's nice and cool there.

Population - 1,106, hmm

•••
I don't think they do, I think there are people such as @AbdulBasit.com that makes more than $1,000, yet consider it a good deal of money.
It does not differentiate Abdul that makes over $1k/mo with someone that makes less than $1k/mo because in both cases it is a good deal of money.
I voted 4 as well :)
We are poor lol

•••
A thousand by itself may not be make or break but multiply it some and win or lose it can start making a big difference.

•••
•••
Ever think about an auction you could have won if you had outbid one more time?

That $1000 will seem more precious.

•••
$1000 will fix a lot of things for me.

1) Pay my rent for a whole year,

2) Pay my kid's school fees for three terms straight

So yea, $1000 is a good deal of money to me only because the '' thousand is in dollar'' though.

Change the dollar sign to naira and the thousand will only get me 2 handregs .com on netsol

Last edited:
•••
Would I be okay losing it? No.
Can I lose it? I suppose... would not like to and it is all about calculating those costs.

I suppose when my .pics/photos renewed by mistake and was $1k in the hole I was a bit pissed... but did not go broke as a result.

I look at it this way... $1,000 can buy me another VERY good gun on which I won't lose money. lol.

•••
Tip money, schoolboy cash, $1000 is.

But it will buy me some toys, a decent drone and shit like that, so

•••
If I recently got into domaining, a $1000 loss that was based on speculation would be enough of a reason to get out of domaining.

Would it affect my offline life today . no!

•••
$1K means lot for me, I glad that I found this domaining as its pay me much more. I live in a village near the "Mumbai" here you can buy a whole day foods for just $3.

•••
To us Jordanians, 1k is not much these days, it covers a few hours of heating a day, for a month.

That's because, Amman ranked most expensive Arab city, 28th worldwide.

$1,000 = 700 JDs

so, I voted "it's a good deal of money to me" because the majority of my fellow citizens struggle to get it.

Thanks

•••
As a indian . 1K is more money for us. But it depends on which city we are living in.

(1K is dust if we live in Chennai,Bangalore,delhi or mumbai) . I am from Chennai paying monthly rend as $250.

If i stay on my vilage. I can run a month with 100$.

Last edited:
•••
$1,000 is a good deal of money to me.
$1000= 140,000 pk rupees and I do earn in 6 figures monthly but its still a bit less than $1000 :)

•••
Excellent idea for a thread @equity78 !

It's so interesting to see the different opinions and the different walks of life our community holds.

It looks like the main determining factor on what it means is where you come from and what the cost of living is. For @Tunababa8v it would mean a whole years rent (which is incredible) where as it wouldn't pay even a months rent where I live.

For me personally a grand would be lovely thanks but because of the cost of life in London it doesn't buy very much so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I lost it (although I'd still be sad).

Having said that ... 5 weeks ago I got offered a new job which pays 65% more than my old job. Obviously I took it and I start this week. The new job means I have to buy some new tools, the problem is I've just had the driveway done and for the first time in 15 years I'm skint. Then I get an email from someone interested in a name and a week later I'm $1500 better off! I could then buy the tools I need ($1504 almost bang on) and concentrate on being nervous lol.

So although what I said is true in the most part (wouldn't be the end of the world to lose it) once in a while it can feel like a gift from the gods.

Whatever your financial situation, don't get complacent and don't take even the smallest amount of money for granted cos we can all end up on the bread line.

Last edited:
•••
I voted, could afford to loose it. However I do think that's a bit of a jump between that and the next options of 'A months income' & 'It's a lot of money ' I retired at 50 but I still have to be careful with my income/pension.

It's a bit of a long story but I lost sight of a couple of domains late last year, they dropped and went to Auction. I stopped looking when I'd seen they had reached US$3,000 at auction... It may sound a bit ignorant or careless but, I don't really value money that much, so long as I have enough. Easy come - easy go has always been my motto.

Sadly (maybe) I've never been driven by money, even since I was a teenager. probably because I've always had enough... Achievement has always been my motivator if that makes sense

Last edited:
•••

Yes, it's definitely a good deal of money because I'm from Pakistan and for $1000 in my country, we can have loads of things to do and buy.

•••
It is a good deal of money however it doesnt change much in life especially living in the usa ..buying domains and Bills I blow through 1k like drinking a glass of water

I agree. It actually depends on one's location where he resides. $1000 in my country can change life forever for someone may be in U.S it's just not a big thing. So mostly it depends on the geographic location.

•••
I suppose $1000 is about 7 hours work for me.

•••
Back