Dynadot

What does $1,000 mean to you?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What does $1,000 mean to you

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • It's Tip money, nothing to me at all

votes
    7.1%
  • If I profit $1,000 changes little and I could afford to lose it

votes
    36.7%
  • $1,000 is more than I make a month at my job

votes
    12.8%
  • $1,000 is a good deal of money to me

votes
    38.8%
  • $1,000 profit would change my life greatly, I could never risk that much in purchases

votes
    4.6%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Namepros is a pretty diverse place, members from every continent except for Antarctica. Discussions take place about money where many see their opinion as fact. Examples:

That's not a lot of money

I don't get out of bed for less than $5,000

Anyone can afford to blow 100 .com regs in a year

People pronounce their desire to never sell to a domainer, or buy from one. People talk about how they don't flip names for a couple hundred dollars. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion and free to do what they like.

But what does $1,000 tied up in domain names mean to you? Can you afford to lose it? Can you renew said $1,000 for 1 year, 5 years, 10 years? What about profiting $1,000 in a year?

Vote in the poll.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Need 24 hrs of work to make it, need 60 packets of the cheapest tobacco to burn it, also need it plus an extra 1,000 USD to cover a month's rent.

4th option if it is money I'm spending, 2nd option if it is money I'm receiving.

Last edited:
•••
Being back in Europe after nearly two decades, I just learned $1,000 mean $h**t in the EU. The good old "cheap" days are gone. So I better watch not to loose any profit.

•••
Good idea for thread, @equity78.
I answered the 4th. I mean I could survive losing $1000 but regard it as a lot.
The poll made me think about would I invest in domains differently were I still working full-time with a regular (slowly increasing) salary? The answer is probably yes - I think once retired or semi-retired we naturally become a bit more risk averse.
On NPs I think we should respect that within our community are very different financial situations, which do have some implications for approaches to domain investing.
Bob

Last edited:
•••
$1000 is a good deal for me. Didn't have it, so wow, its a substantial amount to have all of a sudden.

•••
Interesting question here and very interesting answers.

Haven't really thought about it much but now that it's in black and white and it is in discussion form, it is making me think a bit
I haven't voted yet. I am a little divided between 2 answers - #2 and #4
  1. It's Tip money, nothing to me at all
  2. If I profit $1,000 changes little and I could afford to lose it
  3. $1,000 is more than I make a month at my job
  4. $1,000 is a good deal of money to me
  5. $1,000 profit would change my life greatly, I could never risk that much in purchases
I feel like #2 sometimes since I spend $x,xxx+ many times over, and make $x,xxx+ on many sales as well. So, can I afford to lose it, yes but it pisses me off a bit.

But really #4 makes sense for me as well. When I spend $1k it is an important purchase for me. Same as when I sell a domain for $1k, it still makes me pretty happy because most likely it was a $xx purchase so that is a big deal imo.

I wish I could answer #1 but I cannot.

Actually as I write this out and think more, I will go back up there and vote #4.

•••
For me it’s equivalent of the price of adding natural slate and stone on my balconies. :panda:

•••
I will go for #5. $1000 to naira can pay my rent for a year with some left for feeding. I can't afford to lose sure amount.

•••
Interesting question here and very interesting answers.

Haven't really thought about it much but now that it's in black and white and it is in discussion form, it is making me think a bit
I haven't voted yet. I am a little divided between 2 answers - #2 and #4
  1. It's Tip money, nothing to me at all
  2. If I profit $1,000 changes little and I could afford to lose it
  3. $1,000 is more than I make a month at my job
  4. $1,000 is a good deal of money to me
  5. $1,000 profit would change my life greatly, I could never risk that much in purchases
I feel like #2 sometimes since I spend $x,xxx+ many times over, and make $x,xxx+ on many sales as well. So, can I afford to lose it, yes but it pisses me off a bit.

But really #4 makes sense for me as well. When I spend $1k it is an important purchase for me. Same as when I sell a domain for $1k, it still makes me pretty happy because most likely it was a $xx purchase so that is a big deal imo.

I wish I could answer #1 but I cannot.

Actually as I write this out and think more, I will go back up there and vote #4.

I am in the same boat between #2 and #4. Losing $1,000 would not really effect me in a major way, however it is still a good deal of money for anyone really. I certainly would not be happy with losing $1,000 with nothing in return.

I don't care how much money I have, "It's Tip money, nothing to me at all" is not a mindset I would ever adopt.
That type of mindset leads to reckless spending and eventually not having money.

Brad

•••
I don't like to loose any money. My moto: another day - another dollar!
Option 4 is welcomed all year long! :xf.wink:

•••
I think $1k is a lot of money. I think $250 is a lot of money!

•••
🚩

1,000.00 USD can be little / much moneyyy
It just depends on wwwhere you are and whennn
That's all I want to share hhhere nowww

Last edited:
•••
Imo, money are just an sweet illusion most people are submerged in...

But ... if you want to donate a 1k to a domainer, I can give you my paypal details ... it will give me free additional week on my holidays, so why not :)

•••
Money is so dirty, FUN is better. :)

What does $1,000 mean to you?

$1,000 = 10 * $100 Bills (If someone pays cash for an old used car, for example) == Get 8 in the bank right away, in most cases.

Last edited:
•••
$1000 will fix a lot of things for me.

1) Pay my rent for a whole year,

2) Pay my kid's school fees for three terms straight

So yea, $1000 is a good deal of money to me only because the '' thousand is in dollar'' though.

Change the dollar sign to naira and the thousand will only get me 2 handregs .com on netsol
That's amazing a thousand dollars will pay your rent for a year. For me here in Chicago it wouldn't even pay for a month.

•••
That's amazing a thousand dollars will pay your rent for a year. For me here in Chicago it wouldn't even pay for a month.

A thousand dollars + a month for being in a major US city doesn't seem bad. I know it depends on the neighbourhood . I'm 30 miles from London $100 (equivalent) a day is a suburban average, 40,000 a year including local taxes.

No wonder so many are trying to enter Europe and the USA, from the Asian/ South American continent, If you could live frugally, the amount you could send home must be life changing for family

Last edited:
•••
That's not a lot of money
But what does $1,000 tied up in domain names mean to you? Can you afford to lose it? Can you renew said $1,000 for 1 year, 5 years, 10 years? What about profiting $1,000 in a year?

For over twenty years I've at least " four figure " renewal fees on domains I've made no outbound efforts or even aggressive inbound efforts to sell.

While I do not view a thousand dollars as a trivial or meaningless sum, however, in my overall macro plans, domains or otherwise, a thousand is essentially insignificant.

If I profit $1,000 changes little and I could afford to lose it

•••
Depends how much you bought the domain for. I've invested 4 figures on domain names regularly and even 5 figures, so a $1000k offer (whilst appreciating the interest) is no good for any of those.

$1k for a handreg is good though, especially if you get the offer within 6 months of registering it. But the trouble is many people register domain names and they have unrealistic expectations, sticking a ridiculous price tags on something that's not registered in any other extensions and believing the $100 they have spent registering 10-11 domain names is going to make them rich.

Last edited:
•••
Spending a thousand doesn't bother me but I rather invest a thousand with a chance of return.

Earning a thousand doesn't really move my needle but I like money coming in more than money going out. :)

•••

I never can never afford to lose $1000 or even $10 carelessly. $1000 or $25 pay's one of my many bills or services I use a monthly basis, I need capital to trade, operate, pay labor costs etc. Fiat Money is absolutely necessary for daily life, the amount doesn't change my attitude.

But I accept the risk that I won't hit a home run every time and I may lose $1000 in any given deal but it doesn't hurt me.

Making $1000 would affect me as much as losing a $1000, it's neither here nor there.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Actuallyyy anyone who makes 1,000.00 USD profit can afford to lose it.
Because it could have been that he would never have made this profit.
This affects to every other amount of moneyyy as well.

Last edited:
•••
For me $1000 is good money but if it is comes from domain sale, my mindset is to reinvest in domains again hoping for more such sales...

Thanks,
Sumeeth

•••
the funny thing about money is that it's not the amount htat matters, but the situation.

if you get charged $10 extra in mining fees, you wouldn't care.

If you get charged $1 extra at the toll booth, you'd throw a fit.

If you got a speeding ticket for $500, you'd throw a fit. But, if you had to pay $500 more for a domain you were planning on winning for $250, you probably wouldn't think twice.

So it really depends on the situation. Everyone gets pissed at a $20 payment fee, like if you're using PayPal. They even go through such lengths as findnig an escrow company that charges $5 less.

But if Netflix raised its sub fee to $15.99, I'm pretty sure no one would care about paying that monthly.

Is $1000 a lot? Depends on the situation. BUT RN I WOULD SAY YES :D

•••
Any money is good money. Any positive is great, a sale of $100 is as good as $1000 to me. Just keep things in perspective. Obviously, don't go selling a 3L king for $1000 though.

•••
$1,000 = DH3673.3 as at this morning in Dubai

Yes, it means a lot. But I could afford to lose it. However, I will do everything possible not to lose it, always try to maximize my gains. The secret is to always invest it in the best possible domains.

Last edited:
•••
Back