IT.COM

question What do you do, if you have a domain related to $3B market cap company?

NameSilo
Watch
Hello guys
I have a domain fit with the name of a huge company with $3B market cap.
They have sent me an offer before for $1200, and they will not pay more.
How you handle with this situation?
Thanks in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello guys
I have a domain fit with the name of a huge company with $3B market cap.
They have sent me an offer before for $1200, and they will not pay more.
How you handle with this situation?
Thanks in advance.

The assumption, here, is that the value of traffic, as it translates to sales $ for that company, is valued higher than $1200. If that is true, then keep reading below... If its not true, then sell it to them for the $1200 and move on.

One thing I would do now that an offer have been made, and rejected by you, is no longer park the domain for PPC / ads. Not sure if you have ever tried to monetize the traffic but I'd stop doing that if you are. Just a landing page with a contact form. Maybe, MAYBE, you could make the landing page the same color as the main color of the company who made the offer. ;)

I'd also renew it for the max term and place a min offer amount which reflects the value of the domain to that company's USE of the domain, as it relates to their business. After you do that investigation you may find that the domain is worth, lets say, $25K USD for that company to acquire the traffic going to the domain because sales of the companies products/services would add up to that figure easily. (This is just an example, I have no idea the company, your traffic, etc so you have to do this). Its just a simple cost justification that you can present the company when they contact you again.

The bottom line is, if a 3 billion market cap company will pass on capturing the traffic from your domain then that is tantamount to them saying they'd turn off the power to their company for some period of time thereby ignoring phone calls, internet visits, people walking in their business --- for whatever amount of time it takes to equal the lost sales that your name could bring them.

At that point, their competitors deserve the traffic to that domain and that is why you just have a landing page there accepting offers from anyone.

If they contact you again then be polite and explain the value of the domain AND the fact that you have it for sale and there is no way for you to know if a competitor of theirs might come knocking on the door...

Shop the domain around if you wish to. Depending on how you play the game in business, you might even contact their competitors (but I would never divulge that you have been in talks with the 3B market cap company). Determine what value the domain name might have to their competition! Personally I'd never tell either the first company nor their competitors that you are pitting them all against each other - but thats my way of operating. You could be more aggressive, or not.. Depends on how you operate.

Its exciting isnt it!??! :)

Best of luck to a great sale!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back