IT.COM

question What do you do, if you have a domain related to $3B market cap company?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello guys
I have a domain fit with the name of a huge company with $3B market cap.
They have sent me an offer before for $1200, and they will not pay more.
How you handle with this situation?
Thanks in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i would see if any other endusers are possible for domain... if yes then i would renew domain for 5 years and leave it with price of 15k USD

if you dont see any enduser at all or domain looklike just only for them then take it and move on...

but its just me..
Goodluck

•••
Ask them how much they spend on paperclips, pens, coffee for the coffee machine.

Try to see what they have spent money on and justify why your domain has a greater benefit.

Unless the only reason they want the domain is for SEO purposes then it's pretty much pointless to ask for more I think? Now if you are confident they will use your domain as their main website address then as for 1% their marketcap.

Since you said "marketcap" my suspicion is that it's a crypto domain?

Am I right? Either way good luck!

•••
Thank you guys

Last edited:
•••
Since you said "marketcap" my suspicion is that it's a crypto domain?
Am I right? Either way good luck!
It is a Tech company.

Last edited:
•••
If they contacted you first without any outbound, then put reasonable BIN on it because they will likely be watching it.

But if you're the one that reached out to them and they made the offer, then it's up to you to decide if the ROI is okay to accept their offer or not.

•••
By the way, the domain is quad premium 4 letters.

•••
•••
•••
If they need your domain to upgrade their corporate domain to match their brand, then the price depends on their affordability.

•••
renew the domain for 10 years
and next year
for another 10 years

put a contact form only on the landing page

wait... ... ... ... ...

ask for $1.200.000 USD or more
when the inquiry comes in

don't contact them anymore

forget the name

•••
If they need your domain to upgrade their corporate domain to match their brand, then the price depends on their affordability.

That's the whole point, without knowing how the domain is going to be used, it's tough to make a call.

Brand upgrade vs. forwarding or possible promotional opportunities is a big difference.

•••
That's the whole point, without knowing how the domain is going to be used, it's tough to make a call.

Brand upgrade vs. forwarding or possible promotional opportunities is a big difference.
I think they should buy the domain to protect their brand, specially the domain is 4 letters pronounceable.

•••
•••
•••
So a 4-letter pronounceable .COM that figures into their brand.... I might be looking at something similar to what frank-germany advised, just maybe not aiming at 7-figures just yet.

Just looking at the LLLL.com market towards anything remotely pronounceable or phonetic and I'm thinking $1,200 is a lowball and they should be wiling to go higher. i.e. your name is already inherently valuable.

•••
•••
Ask them how much they spend on advertising each year - renew it for 10 years - ask 100K and forget you own it, See what transpires - you'll hear from them NO ONE ELSE OWNS THEIR NAME BUT YOU. Good luck.

•••
why are you even responding to someone who offers you a 1200 offer. ?

If billion dollar company then it all starts at 75k to 100k end it.

•••
•••
As others said, renew the name for 10 years put a BIN price and wait, do not email them again unless they do. The BIN price is totally depended on how much you ask for and it's an individual choice. Set that price and forget it.

•••
I had a somewhat similar domain deal way back in May of 2002. A seemingly successful wireless company tried to trick me into selling them my premium 5 letter dot net dictionary word that matched their new about to be released wireless networking technology.

So being a networking company my dot net domain was perfect for them.

The webmaster contacted me twice asking about the domain. The first time he made the mistake of asking if I would sell the domain and he included his name, title and company in the footer. I replied back saying yes it was available for a high price. I didn't hear back from him for a long while.

The second inquiry was different. This time he claimed he was just developing a personal website and could only pay about $100 which was way too low. The mistake he made was using his real name which I remembered from the first email and I told him so. He said I caught him and that the company wanted him to get a good deal so he lied about the personal website.

So the price of poker (this domain) of course went up. But unfortunately they were a bit cheap and they were never going to pay my asking price of $50k.

I finally got them to $5k and that was it. So instead of rejecting this low offer, I accepted it because I had a gut feeling that was all I'd get. I sold it to them using escrow and everyone was happy.

Several years later I discovered the company went out of business so I did make a good deal. Today the same domain is worth way less because the technology has changed. I just saw that it sold a few years back for less than $1k and the company is nowhere to be found.

•••
Just in case there is any doubt, here is a screen grab of the Escrow transaction.

Screenshot_20190728-213328_Chrome.jpg

•••
•••
IMO - Frank's advice re the long term renewal of the domain and a lander page is good advice.

If the aforementioned company is really interested in the name it is likely your page and price will be found and considered.

If it was my name I would set a price I would reasonably accept as a BN and let it percolate a while.

If the company is truly interested it is possible your long term reg will be noted and factor into their purchase decision making.

Is it reasonable / possible that the 4 letter domain may attract an alternative buyer / company?

Always keep your sales options open and retain some leverage which could include the long term registration.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back