Domain Empire

What Bulletin Board Software?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
What would you use for a completely forum site? PHPBB, IPB or vBulletin?

Thanks!
-Ambrose

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I couldn't see myself switching from vBulletin unless someone really had a convincing reason for me to do so.

•••
I use PHPBB however I have seen a lot of just forum sites and I think VB has a lot more to offer, so I suggest VB.

•••
What would be easier to hack/mod ?

•••
vBulletin is by far the easiest to mod/hack out of all 3...by far

•••
also check out SMF for free forum. but vBB is best then IPB

•••
phpbb is my fav i am starting to get the hang of it finally

•••
vBulletin. The others don't come close.

•••
•••
•••
vBulletin offers the most wide range of features but is paid. IPB can be used as trial but its features are not too good as of vB.

•••
Wow... you guys haven't even mentioned the best one. Invision Power Board! Sure vB is good but does it look and feel as good? Surely no!

•••
Pakistani said:
vBulletin offers the most wide range of features but is paid. IPB can be used as trial but its features are not too good as of vB.

IPB can only be used as a trial if you have had the trial since the day they released it...if you download and use the trial from anybody other than IPS themselves, you are doing so illegally

•••
I've used all 3 forum software and the easiest to admin and hack is vBulletin. As an admin it's satisfied all my needs and then some.

•••
I use PHPBB mostly because it's free. I would get Vbulliten if I had more cash but...I don't

•••
•••
for free, IPB 1.3. Paid, if it was a completely forum site and nothing else, i'd say IPB 2.1. If it was a forum based on a site, vBulletin. DO NOT go for phpBB - so many bugs they had to hide the version. I lost about 5 communities (one with about 50 members) because phpbb sucks so much. oh and myBB is good.

•••
i've also year of yaBB is that any good?

•••
Yabb is for CGI, and it's OK but I have heard it's slow running. IPB 1.3 is out of date, so insecure.

•••
YaBB looks like SMF. It's just yet another bulletin board. ;)

•••
MyBB IS the best out of all free or paid boards. I love MyBB. Use it. Now. :)

•••
tm said:
for free, IPB 1.3.

Once again, unless you downloaded IPB 1.2, 1.3, 2.0 or ANY other version of IPB from IPS when they were giving free use of it, you cannot use it legally

•••
Another one that isn't listed here is IceBB. It's still in beta, but looks very promising.

But yeah, if you are looking for paid boards, I would agree with everyone else and say vB. :p

•••
•••
For "Big" forums 100% vBulletin - for Very small PunBB For Medium PHPBB...although i have been looking at MyBB...looks very nice & feature packed!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back