Dynadot

What Bulletin Board Software?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
What would you use for a completely forum site? PHPBB, IPB or vBulletin?

Thanks!
-Ambrose

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I Recommend vBulletin for paid and if you need a free one go for punBB, myBB or SMF.

•••
Either MyBB for free or IPB paid...

•••
Taylor Hewitt said:
Wow... you guys haven't even mentioned the best one. Invision Power Board! Sure vB is good but does it look and feel as good? Surely no!
wtf do you think ipb stands for?

•••
invision power board.

and vbulletin is the one to choose.

•••
•••
Boguns said:
invision power board.

and vbulletin is the one to choose.
I know, I was being sarcastic (kind of).

•••
oh and icebb seems to have many ugs and to me i think they realeased it too early.

•••
WuLabsWuTecH said:
i've also year of yaBB is that any good?

YaBB is a resource hog. It runs on CGI.

YaBB once converted to YaBBSE and has now re-released itself as SMF.

•••
ICT looks ok, it's new, go here

•••
GTAce said:
Pakistani said:
vBulletin offers the most wide range of features but is paid. IPB can be used as trial but its features are not too good as of vB.

IPB can only be used as a trial if you have had the trial since the day they released it...if you download and use the trial from anybody other than IPS themselves, you are doing so illegally

Thanks for correction.

•••
luckily i managed to download the unlimited trial of 2.0 which was up for only 2 hours :D

•••
I usually prefer vBulletin over any other forum software but phpBB is an alternative that I use quite often. Although it lacks in certain features when compared to vBulletin, it's still a great piece of software.

•••
A lot of you have been saying that certain forum software can match up against paid software. This is just not correct. Neither MyBB, nor PHPbb, nor anything else can match up against VB nor IPB. It just isn't possible. IPB and VB can continue ongoing production and advance their product because they pay the staff to do it, therefore they can get a way better product than having people do it for free.

Free Software (BBoard) will not match up against paid boards...

•••
sergio965 said:
A lot of you have been saying that certain forum software can match up against paid software. This is just not correct. Neither MyBB, nor PHPbb, nor anything else can match up against VB nor IPB. It just isn't possible. IPB and VB can continue ongoing production and advance their product because they pay the staff to do it, therefore they can get a way better product than having people do it for free.

Free Software (BBoard) will not match up against paid boards...

What if they get sh!t loads of donations?

•••
lol, are there any free versions of vBulletin out there that one can play with?

•••
There is an admin demo available from vBulletin.com. Other than that, you'd be getting it illegally.

•••
linky but this comes pretty close or will do when its released to being as good as paid. Just waiting for the release which will be soon, very soon. It has everything really apart from a lack of mods at this time.

•••
The only choices you should consider are VB or IPB, both of very professional looking, are very safe and very customizable. They have a HUGE selection of skin's/modifications for you to use free of charge.

•••
Gareth said:
The only choices you should consider are VB or IPB, both of very professional looking, are very safe and very customizable. They have a HUGE selection of skin's/modifications for you to use free of charge.

if you dont have any money you cant consider them.

•••
quality, with support: VB
Quality no par: SMF

•••
well i'd say vB if you are willing to pay.

IPB is also good.

phpbb i won't go with it. First they have too many updates second even after the updates your site get hacked ... not safe enough

•••
I think phpBB Plus version is good as it have many mods preinstalled :)

•••
vB and IPB are tied for me. vBulletin is very easy to skin and very easy to modify, and preferably I like vB's overall layout and admin panel a lot more than IPB. However, IPB offers a lot of mods and I have found a lot more and a lot bigger support forums for the software on the net. IPB is also a lot more affordable considering your one year license can be used as a lifetime; just one year of support.

Looking at either one in my eyes...it really depends on your budget. If you are willing to spend over $100 definately buy vB. But if you are wanting to spend less than $100, buy IPB.

I like them both equally.

•••
Just switched to SMF and I like it so far. I used phpBB for awhile but started having some major problems with a few of the mods so I got rid of it.

•••
tm said:
What if they get sh!t loads of donations?

Well, I doubt they would. People now a-days aren't that nice. Believe me, the only way I would donate to total strangers is if the application was absolutely brilliant. Say, if VB or IPB were free, I would donate.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back