IT.COM

services What are best alternatives to DAN? (Since GoDaddy has bought & ruined the service as expected)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Maxxo

Established Member
Impact
Can anyone recommend some good alternatives to DAN that don't have such high commission fees? DAN user interface is still nice, but Godaddy really screwed the pooch with increase on commission fees from 9% to 15% and 25% for not using their nameservers. I guess that's no surprise. Too bad DAN sold out for an exit paycheck. Bummer.

I guess Efty is in a prime spot to add DAN users like me who are looking to jump ship.

Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Did he mention an ETA on that launch? (no pun intended)
I think there may be NamePros members who are in beta testing of Spaceship, not sure if they can say, but in the Twitter exchange with me this week he did not give a launch date. I think was a couple of months ago they started beta testing. I don't know what the commission for aftermarket sales would be except that he said in response to a question that it would probably be flat (i.e. not tiered) and would be low (the current NCM is 10%).

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
I'm using Dynadot, they have a 5% commission fee, and you get a landing page.

The only issue is that other registrars don't show that they're for sale when you look up the domains.
Isn't there a 5% fee for the payouts?

Last edited:
•••
Very interesting. Did not see such an effect before. With adblock, I saw an empty page (30 seconds or so) and then it was forwarded to another bodis-powered page, with ads from BING - must be 2nd tier (were not blocked by some reason), and custom forsale top link to namecheap.
Thanks for pointing out again the limitations that the ad blockers place on the Bodis-related landers.
I was able to discuss with Namecheap a more direct way to have the marketplace listings directly show up.

If you're curious, you can take a look now at the same domain (AmericaMed.com), and see the effect of doing the URL forwarding directly through Namecheap. It's an interesting "lander-alternative." Now at least the ad blockers presumably won't be an issue.

Last edited:
•••
I'm considering to keep all names that are BIN $5K or less at Afternic and rest will be removed from Afternic dan.com. May use efty.com (since I have grandfathered free account) or my own landing page.

•••
Have you done some kind of testing?
According to Reza from Dan.com in a twitter post he mentioned more then 60% of sales happened on landing page.
Why pay 15% if we can do same with Daaz.com for only 5%.
Because Daaz is an unknown entity to 99% of the public. Most would trust a registrar over an unknown site.

•••
I log in to Dan recently and see that some domains are not listed on Afternic, i do it manually, after some time it say with red Failed to List or something like this, in the (i) message shows Failed to some unknown non Compliance, I contact support they tell me this is because Trademark or other thing that infringes GD policy.
I check for trademark on those domains but I found nothing.
So now you will have such surprise from GD, to me I don't care much, in recent days my 6th sense plus my domains at Dan tells me "I FEEL SOME VOID" this tells me that there is nothing fore me at Dan and I should move them to my own website and not waste time, because I will have no sales due to GD they will decide now who sells what, like Google decides what to show in searches no matter of your SEO.

•••
Domain.io! Take your leads where you want
I just built a namesilo button for names there. No epp code needed. Instant ownership. Start using your registrar landers. Porkbun has nice ones oink oink

•••
I think you can go with DaaZ .com

I've sold some domains on DaaZ .com. And every time I was satisfied using their services. Near 24/7 chat service is an added advantage for DaaZ .com....Because many times we need assistance and marketplaces take so much time for responding. But DaaZ responds quickly.

Apart from that, the payout is faster than many marketplaces. I got my payout in 2-4 hours. Sometimes even quicker.

DaaZ has only 5% fee for Buy Now listings. They charge 8% for Lease to Own option. DaaZ Secure is another great option to sell multiple domains in a single transaction.

You can definitely try DaaZ .com to sell your domains...Thanks

•••
Bodis allows to insert a custom FOR SALE link on top of the page.
I'm setting all sales to DAAZ that is more similar to DAN with fees under 10%.

Last edited:
•••
Has anyone else tried doing domain name forwarding to the domain's marketplace listing page at a registrar?
Yes I have at times done at NamSilo, and for listings at Nameliquidate in past, and at Namecheap do it extensively as it is the only option to have a ‘lander’ for a Namecheap Marketplace listing. Their CEO tells me there will be landers when Spaceship releases.
-Bob

Last edited:
•••
Can anyone recommend some good alternatives to DAN that don't have such high commission fees? DAN user interface is still nice, but Godaddy really screwed the pooch with increase on commission fees from 9% to 15% and 25% for not using their nameservers. I guess that's no surprise. Too bad DAN sold out for an exit paycheck. Bummer.

I guess Efty is in a prime spot to add DAN users like me who are looking to jump ship.

Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks!
Im looking at sav.com only 4% commissions ,guess why companies like this are around thats why godaddy wants your n servers pointed so they can rape you.How about this idea ,point only the domains you have at godaddy to godaddy or godanny if the domain thats not directed to godaddy sells at godanny or godaddy ,tell them you already have a buyer that came thru the other lander,then just wait for the buyer to come to you with the buy it now of sav.com lander and pay only 4% this actually happened about a month ago but the buyer did go to sav first because i priced it lower to make up for the 16% spread

Last edited:
•••
•••
Using Bodis with Escowdotcom integration can be an option i guess.

First you need to close 2nd tier ads and choose only "Sales Lander Only" option from the settings.
Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 7.18.35 PM.png

And when you type the domain name on browser, it directly redirect you to Escrow with a clean UI. as below
Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 7.16.19 PM.png

Bodis doesn't charge any fee for domain sales and Escrow fees are extremely low compare with other options and you have the option to let buyer pay for the fees.

Note: I have no affiliation with Bodis or Escrow, i just think this can be a smart option with the lowest fees.

Last edited:
•••
I didn't realise that Dan had sold out to GD. I think I'll switch back to using the Name Silo marketplace

•••
So, in Europe, Daaz in your opinion does not have much name recognition?

Although I am in the domain industry and follow this forum closely, I have come across very few domain names directed to Daaz. Maybe 1 in 1000.

About a year ago, even though I made the adage "The website and landing page of Daaz look like they were designed with Frontpage", they did not take any steps to improve their presence. That's why DAN became DAN and sold for millions, that's why godaddy is overwhelming power in the market.

•••
All of us have a digital profile somewhere there at the big data collectors

I don't understand what this has to do with the subject.

If I will keep my domains at their daughters like Dan, Afternic and others which they bought out, it means that I not believe in the power of my domains.

Self-confidence and stability are definitely important.

However, I still did not get an answer to my question; If a potential customer who wants to buy a domain name cannot reach your portfolio by searching on a registrar that has joined the Afternic distribution network, how do you plan to sell to that person?

•••
So strange. Why would GoDaddy do it this way?
If your domain has a "buy now" price and no "make offer" option on AN, one would question why they have the right to change the nature of the sale without informing you explicitly.

Perhaps they believe they can do this because you have provided a "floor" option. But the "floor" is not supposed to be visible to the potential buyers. By putting in this lower price, are they now effectively allowing an automatic sale based on your floor, without the supposed "negotiations" they were presumed to do on your behalf? Who knows?

Why should the Fast Transfer and the non-fast transfer sales pages be different anyhow? I don't recall ever being told that that was that type of distinction with the two choices. The only difference appeared to be that you were opting into a larger network if you allowed immediate transfer.

The lack of transparency here remains all the more concerning with AN.

Last edited:
•••
To be honest I do not understand why people consider even using efty and similar paid sites.

You can take one of your domains put a simple wordpress site with a contact form and then redirect all your domains to that site with masking (so the potential buyer will see url he typed in). Ones you reached an agreement with him you can initiate a lead at DAN or Escrow.com.
I did like that for many years and it worked fantastic for me.
I will be returning back to it as DAN increased the fee.

Last edited:
•••
Interested in seeing what moves big players like @DNGear make.

Previously swetha.xyz forwarded to her Dan seller profile. Some time last year she switched to an Efty site with a Dan buy option. I believe that nets her a lower fee (5% still if I understand the changes correctly..?) as she’s importing those sales to Dan.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see other domainers do something similar.

Last edited:
•••
I sold some domains through “domainagents.com”

•••
I just opened a Sav account to check out the interface. Seems mature and has lots of features. 4% commission on sales off their landers. As easy to import as domain,price. Does anyone have experience with Sav they could share?

•••
Domain.io! Take your leads where you want
I like domain.io a lot but I really want a better looking landing page. The owner is great as well but he's just too busy right now to work on the updates.

•••
The limitation currently is that Bodis only provides the Escrow sale feature, not their newer "make offer" function.
I hope, at this very moment, Matt is working on a way to integrate multiple payment options into the Bodis platform as he has done with Escrow.

It would be fine with me if he charged a 2-3% fee for us using the Bodis lander in the way described above to make a sale.

•••
Yes, you can. Here is one of the names I have listed there so you can see the lander. https://biogrocery.com/ I removed all parking and attached escrow via the backend api within Bodis. I pay 0% commission and the buyer pays Escrow fees. So if a name sells (by someone who types in the name into a search engine) I pay $0 and earn the full sale price.
This right here.. is a legit solution I have been looking for a loong time!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back