Dynadot

question What am I missing on 4L, 5L and 4N domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
What am I missing? I'm a big fan of generic domains that are self explanatory in their name. I would never type in numbers or short letter dot com domains that make no sense to me. I noticed almost all of the ads in media now are using dot com domains that are pertinent to their business/company. And yet these 4, 5 letter and 3, 4 number domains are bringing high $bucks. I don't get it. Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What am I missing? I'm a big fan of generic domains that are self explanatory in their name. I would never type in numbers or short letter dot com domains that make no sense to me. I noticed almost all of the ads in media now are using dot com domains that are pertinent to their business/company. And yet these 4, 5 letter and 3, 4 number domains are bringing high $bucks. I don't get it. Thanks

Short Answer?
China!

•••
Short Answer?
China!

Oh OK, that makes sense. Hadn't thought of them. I've seen many crazy domain names on U.S. TV, but very few with letters or numbers that don't make sense. Most are self explaining their products, with 80% dot coms.

•••
4L are brandable or acronyms .. or purely speculation.
5L are brandable.
3-4 numbers are mostly driven by chinese market.

•••
Short Answer?
China!
Yes, that's part of it. The other part is: branding! People starting up business these days want a short brand with a matching .COM going in.

•••
also to the Chinese short domains are a Rare Commodity in their mathematical minds. like Gold.

8=1
N=8
L=20

each variable is part of the equation.

•••
4L are brandable or acronyms .. or purely speculation.
5L are brandable.
3-4 numbers are mostly driven by chinese market.

I can see 4 & 5 random letter domains as brandables, but it seems the expense to market their unknown brand would be huge. If it's a catchy random letter domain it's makes sense to me, but I can't see every four letter domain having much value.

•••
I can see 4 & 5 random letter domains as brandables, but it seems the expense to market their unknown brand would be huge. If it's a catchy random letter domain it's makes sense to me, but I can't see every four letter domain having much value.

They don't all have much value. That is why I also wrote "... or purely speculation". They have a liquid/speculative value because there is only 457K 4Ls available.

So a lot of them have value because of that and will never ever be used by a real business.

•••
•••
They don't all have much value. That is why I also wrote "... or purely speculation". They have a liquid/speculative value because there is only 457K 4Ls available.

So a lot of them have value because of that and will never ever be used by a real business.

OK, yeah that does make more sense. I don't think I own a 4 letter domain, but I've never focused on them. You guys answered my questions well...thanks.

•••

what really rammed the idea about China buying random nonsense 4L domains for me? is this video about 64 million empty apartments.

at exactly 4.35 minutes into the video above you will see Chinese Real Estate "agents" on the side of the road trying to sell to anyone driving by these overpriced apartments.

These people know these apartments are way beyond the means of the people they are pitching to yet they don't care.

This is China after all. Same country that in the news we found out some companies were putting Melamine (used to make plastic plates) in baby formula.

Then I can imagine these same types of desperate sales people trying to sell "at first glance" crap random 4L domains as "investments" like they do with these apartments.

The Chinese economy has suffered blow after blow to their economy ie. stock market crash. and have been "suckered" into short domains as "safety" nets as a protection for their money. Which actually did work for some while others who trusted thee "experts" took a bath on these random 4L.com's

While western domainers made 100,000% profits. The Chinese buyers who in turn sold to (probably) other Chinese made 100%-500% at best.

The Chinese salesmen made good commissions. The marketplaces made good money too.

Panic is always good for business.

I would love to find the first guy who came up with the "idea" and pitched it to Chinese investors that short domains were a good investment.

He or she should get a huge chunk of "thank you" money from Western domainers for starting this run on short 2L,3L,4L and 2N,3N,4N,5N,6N domains.

lol Probably some starving Chinese broker salesman who came up with this brilliant idea.

Probably never got his fair share.

also this whole thing reminds me of Tulip Mania ala "Wall Street"

Last edited:
•••
what really rammed the idea about China buying random nonsense 4L domains for me? is this video about 64 million empty apartments.

at exactly 4.35 minutes into the video above you will see Chinese Real Estate "agents" on the side of the road trying to sell to anyone driving by these overpriced apartments.

These people know these apartments are way beyond the means of the people they are pitching to yet they don't care.

This is China after all. Same country that in the news we found out some companies were putting Melamine (used to make plastic plates) in baby formula.

Then I can imagine these same types of desperate sales people trying to sell "at first glance" crap random 4L domains as "investments" like they do with these apartments.

The Chinese economy has suffered blow after blow to their economy ie. stock market crash. and have been "suckered" into short domains as "safety" nets as a protection for their money. Which actually did work for some while others who trusted thee "experts" took a bath on these random 4L.com's

While western domainers made 100,000% profits. The Chinese buyers who in turn sold to (probably) other Chinese made 100%-500% at best.

The Chinese salesmen made good commissions. The marketplaces made good money too.

Panic is always good for business.

I would love to find the first guy who came up with the "idea" and pitched it to Chinese investors that short domains were a good investment.

He or she should get a huge chunk of "thank you" money from Western domainers for starting this run on short 2L,3L,4L and 2N,3N,4N,5N,6N domains.

lol Probably some starving Chinese broker salesman who came up with this brilliant idea.

Probably never got his fair share.

also this whole thing reminds me of Tulip Mania ala "Wall Street"

That China video is crazy. So modern and yet a ghost town. To me the 2L,3L and 2N in dot com should have great value. The random 4L and 3N,4N,5N,6N should be domain specific. A longer generic domain used for a website/business doesn't hurt much. I had a 13 letter domain getting 2-3 visits/day type ins. Built a real simple site and google liked, now some days 300-500 unique visitors.

•••
lol .. you aren't missing anything .. there isn't too much obvious logic behind it.

@Avtar629 summed it up nicely with "China" .. lol .. with China there are also a few reasons ...
Do a search for "Chip" or "Chips" here at NP and you'll find a ton of info.
(CHIP is short for CHInese Premium)

1- First of all there are weird P2P loans we don't really see in the west .. short domains are/were accepted as collateral on these loans .. I think this was possibly a factor in the China domain bubble in 2015. A reason for this is because the shorter domains are relatively limited in numbers .. as such are legitimately considered a rare commodity.

2- But other important factors is that the Chinese language doesn't lend well to the ASCII based character set domains were normally based on, as such Chinese companies would use letter and even number combinations that phonetically sound like Chinese words.

3- In terms of the numerics, Chinese culture is strongly centered on numbers and patterns, etc

4- There are some language laws in China that restrict non-chinese words usage in domains .. so if you name a website as a number, you still have a way of finding a name your international clients can understand without breaking the law. (I'm really unsure about this one)

5- Then you also have speculation .. not just by Chinese .. but Western domain speculators who don't fully understand it all but saw the prices climbing super high super fast and so they registered a bunch of random stuff hoping to get lucky with combinations.

Add these factors together and it makes for a lot of weirdness that most of the West deems illogical.

Within the insanity there is some order .. for example, in terms of numerics, Chinese like 8 and 3, while really dislike 4 and to a lesser extent 0. While in letters, very few (if any) words start with vowels or a V, so short 4L "acronym" domains with 4, 0, A, E, I, O, U or V's significantly hurt the value (they are considered non-Chips).

One factor that ups the value is if the domain contains a "Pinyin" .. essentially a romanization (~ ASCII) of Chinese words. For example BJ = Bejing .. so BJCCC would be good for a company in Bejing with the acronym CCC as their name. There is "Pinyin" equivalency for most Chinese words and cities.

A LOT of the more speculative short domains bought en mass in late 2015 have been dropping like flies. For the first time ever Verisign (who run .com and .net) have reported a drop in the number of their overall domains because of these dropping Chips that were not renewed.

These domains do have a "liquid" minimum value, so while they are speculative, if you're careful AND the market is stable, the resell value of your domain will always be a certain minimum (although that minimum varies with the market).

So there are 2 possible plays with these domains (and the combination):

1- Some play them like the stock market .. hoping to buy low and sell high based on the liquid market value fluctuations.

2- Some buy these (particularly 4N) because they see their cost of acquisition vs potential loss makes them worth holding longer term in the hopes of making a large profit selling the 4N to an end user at full retail price.

There is some value in most of the remaining domains .. but I'm personally not sure their value are worth the investment. Your best bet is finding such domains that also have value for the west .. but even then ... your costs will be something to watch out for.

In terms of 5L's .. some can be grouped in with the China stuff (mostly the stuff you can't pronounce) .. however there are some that people register specifically for western Companies .. essentially a made up word to name a company (because all real dictionary 5 letter words would cost waaaay too much). A good example of such a domain from a made up word is the one I use for my username Ategy (although I argue it's a cool derivative of strATEGY .. lol)! These "Brandables" are popular with domainers (not sure how much they actually sell unless they are on Brandbuckets).

At the end of the day if you want to invest in these .. definitely read read read .. I don't usually touch these domains unless the domain has what I see/understand as value in the west beyond random letters (doesn't have to be a real world .. but should make sense .. ei "4x20", "ahdio" or "dotr" etc ..

Everything I've mentioned are based on things I've read or heard .. nothing first hand .. so definitely don't take it as fact .. do your own research (and let me know if you find anything different.

•••
•••
lol .. you aren't missing anything .. there isn't too much obvious logic behind it.

@Avtar629 summed it up nicely with "China" .. lol .. with China there are also a few reasons ...
Do a search for "Chip" or "Chips" here at NP and you'll find a ton of info.
(CHIP is short for CHInese Premium)

1- First of all there are weird P2P loans we don't really see in the west .. short domains are/were accepted as collateral on these loans .. I think this was possibly a factor in the China domain bubble in 2015. A reason for this is because the shorter domains are relatively limited in numbers .. as such are legitimately considered a rare commodity.

2- But other important factors is that the Chinese language doesn't lend well to the ASCII based character set domains were normally based on, as such Chinese companies would use letter and even number combinations that phonetically sound like Chinese words.

3- In terms of the numerics, Chinese culture is strongly centered on numbers and patterns, etc

4- There are some language laws in China that restrict non-chinese words usage in domains .. so if you name a website as a number, you still have a way of finding a name your international clients can understand without breaking the law. (I'm really unsure about this one)

5- Then you also have speculation .. not just by Chinese .. but Western domain speculators who don't fully understand it all but saw the prices climbing super high super fast and so they registered a bunch of random stuff hoping to get lucky with combinations.

Add these factors together and it makes for a lot of weirdness that most of the West deems illogical.

Within the insanity there is some order .. for example, in terms of numerics, Chinese like 8 and 3, while really dislike 4 and to a lesser extent 0. While in letters, very few (if any) words start with vowels or a V, so short 4L "acronym" domains with 4, 0, A, E, I, O, U or V's significantly hurt the value (they are considered non-Chips).

One factor that ups the value is if the domain contains a "Pinyin" .. essentially a romanization (~ ASCII) of Chinese words. For example BJ = Bejing .. so BJCCC would be good for a company in Bejing with the acronym CCC as their name. There is "Pinyin" equivalency for most Chinese words and cities.

A LOT of the more speculative short domains bought en mass in late 2015 have been dropping like flies. For the first time ever Verisign (who run .com and .net) have reported a drop in the number of their overall domains because of these dropping Chips that were not renewed.

These domains do have a "liquid" minimum value, so while they are speculative, if you're careful AND the market is stable, the resell value of your domain will always be a certain minimum (although that minimum varies with the market).

So there are 2 possible plays with these domains (and the combination):

1- Some play them like the stock market .. hoping to buy low and sell high based on the liquid market value fluctuations.

2- Some buy these (particularly 4N) because they see their cost of acquisition vs potential loss makes them worth holding longer term in the hopes of making a large profit selling the 4N to an end user at full retail price.

There is some value in most of the remaining domains .. but I'm personally not sure their value are worth the investment. Your best bet is finding such domains that also have value for the west .. but even then ... your costs will be something to watch out for.

In terms of 5L's .. some can be grouped in with the China stuff (mostly the stuff you can't pronounce) .. however there are some that people register specifically for western Companies .. essentially a made up word to name a company (because all real dictionary 5 letter words would cost waaaay too much). A good example of such a domain from a made up word is the one I use for my username Ategy (although I argue it's a cool derivative of strATEGY .. lol)! These "Brandables" are popular with domainers (not sure how much they actually sell unless they are on Brandbuckets).

At the end of the day if you want to invest in these .. definitely read read read .. I don't usually touch these domains unless the domain has what I see/understand as value in the west beyond random letters (doesn't have to be a real world .. but should make sense .. ei "4x20", "ahdio" or "dotr" etc ..

Everything I've mentioned are based on things I've read or heard .. nothing first hand .. so definitely don't take it as fact .. do your own research (and let me know if you find anything different.

Wow...what an education on the China domain market! Thanks

•••

Yeah maybe...or leaky boat? I'll just have to accept the fact I missed the best days of this sector. Hope you guys keep doing well with them.

•••
Yeah maybe...or leaky boat? I'll just have to accept the fact I missed the best days of this sector. Hope you guys keep doing well with them.

Truth is that it's best to only invest in what you understand, so in that sense you were right to stay out but better than that would be to stay open to new waves and as early as possible research them for yourself.

•••

well you still have VR,AR,MR,IOT,IOE,360,Robots, RMG,5g etc etc.

•••
Truth is that it's best to only invest in what you understand, so in that sense you were right to stay out but better than that would be to stay open to new waves and as early as possible research them for yourself.

I've tried to do that with unfolding future technology. Some of them, I was 10 years early. Besides my day job, I've been focused on my stocks. I did sell my name last year for $900, the first I registered 14 years ago! Gave up on being famous and needing it.:) Going to put more time in my domains this year.

•••
well you still have VR,AR,MR,IOT,IOE,360,Robots, RMG,5g etc etc.

Don't forget Drones and AI. I've picked up a few from folks that have given up on their technology, after a couple years of slow development. Big changes coming.

Last edited:
•••
though what you understand may feel like a good investment, others still might put great value to what you don't. it happens

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back