IT.COM

question How liquid are 5L dot com domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dantex45

Established Member
Impact
Hello, I would like to start investing in 5L dot com domains that are brandable, such as adtea.com, qsell.com, etc.

My question is that, despite the fact that they are only 5 letters long and brandable, are they as quick to sell as the 4L DOT COM? since the latter, even if it is a bad domain, can be sold even in days. My doubt is that if the 5L DOT COM and if I get them to really have a possible brand name, can I make these also that liquid?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They are a lot less liquid than 4-letters, however I have found that decent (typically meaning pronounceable) ones sell pretty good to end users. You can probably sell them wholesale pretty easily if you really need to, but you only get pennies on the dollar from other investors.

That is a good thing if you are in β€œacquisition mode”, you can sometimes pick them up pretty cheap.

I have 73 of them and find them to be a good investment.

•••
They are less liquid then 4L's though you can make some very nice returns if you're happy to play the waiting game for someone who wants that name or is looking for a short unique start-up name.

I have quite a few 5L .coms - most of these are listed for sale on brnde.com and I'll just wait until someone makes an offer near to my asking price. If I ever needed to make a quick sale I'm pretty confident I could sell them at 10x the price I paid (reg fee), i.e. $100 easily.

Just make sure there pronounceable, brandable or have some meaning.

•••
Lets not forget, that as with all short domains, aesthetics can play a role. The domain itself can be presented in a logo like manner or just by infill coloring. This is not something you can get away with longer domains as a rule. Once you get to five characters the domain needs to be pronounceable (It's too many for an acronym) but having a domain that's equally appealing to the eye does add to its sales potential.

We are talking about structure and in particular Curves and blending of the letters. Some people might not understand the advantage that a 'pleasing on the eye' plays in domains but, I can assure you from a marketers point of view it's a strong consideration.

My advice is either go for Bold (harder to achieve) or Comforting To make it stand out. This also involves letters that often sit together in common words. If you can get the flow of lettering right you can stretch beyond 5 letters. Pronounceable still being the key

Last edited:
•••
They are less liquid then 4L's though you can make some very nice returns if you're happy to play the waiting game for someone who wants that name or is looking for a short unique start-up name.

I have quite a few 5L .coms - most of these are listed for sale on brnde.com and I'll just wait until someone makes an offer near to my asking price. If I ever needed to make a quick sale I'm pretty confident I could sell them at 10x the price I paid (reg fee), i.e. $100 easily.

Just make sure there pronounceable, brandable or have some meaning.
If you had to make a quick sale of these domains, even though you couldn't get a lot of money (not like the ones on your websites that are approx 3000) but 100-150 dollars, where and how would you sell them?

•••
If you had to make a quick sale of these domains, even though you couldn't get a lot of money
If you had to dispose of them quickly, then there really is only one avenue and that's to domainers. there's no way of getting them out there into the public eye for a fast sale. You'll probably have to bulk sell them to avoid being picked-over.

Don't forget there is never a return on Rubbish no matter how desperate the seller. Back in the golden days 1996 to around 2001 people advertised in the national press. But these were the very top domains

Last edited:
•••
If you had to dispose of them quickly, then there really is only one avenue and that's to domainers. there's no way of getting them out there into the public eye for a fast sale. You'll probably have to bulk sell them to avoid being picked-over.

Don't forget there is never a return on Rubbish no matter how desperate the seller. Back in the golden days 1996 to around 2001 people advertised in the national press. But these were the very top domains
Thank you very much as always for your answer! One last question, what do you think of 5-letter domains in which 4 of them make sense? such as tlove.com or hatef.com etc.

What do you think their value is and how liquid do you think they are?

•••
Yes, these domains can work providing they Blend, Your examples are close to being at the opposite end of the spectrum. Somebody choosing to work with such combos are going to have to assign a Word to that prefix/suffix letter. So it's Best if it's a near natural assumption. So some letter/pairings will work others wont.

Negative words I would certainly stay away from. (hatef) has no commercial viability or even sensical. Even with the best ones your normally going to be at the lowest end of the market

Last edited:
•••
I agree with the above comment - if your registering any single letter + a 4L word - the letter needs to have some meaning ideally alongside the word. I would also stay away from any negative words you'll struggle to sell those.

There are good ones (IMO) still dropping each day if you have the time to look - I had a browse earlier and picked up a domain matching this format just today at reg fee (uhock.com). Hock has a few meanings though I'm using it as in hocking (pawning); decent enough imo.

Last edited:
•••
I agree with the above comment - if your registering any single letter + a 4L word - the letter needs to have some meaning ideally alongside the word. I would also stay away from any negative words you'll struggle to sell those.

There are good ones (IMO) still dropping each day if you have the time to look - I had a browse earlier and picked up a domain matching this format just today at reg fee (uhock.com). Hock has a few meanings though I'm using it as in hocking (pawning); decent enough imo.
Thank you very much as always for your answer! One question, could you register the domain normally because it was expired or did you have to hire a dropcatching service to have it?

•••
The most β€œliquid” 5L i had was a CVCVC.com
Believe it or not; the insane Consonant-Vowel trick also applies to 5L.com... Got <$100 but if CVCV LLLL.com; it’s worth thousands at min but since 5L, it’s worth 90% less.

The most valuable LLLLL.com; all things equal; CVCVC.com excluding single word 5L dot coms ofc!

It all comes to Math Supply and Demand.
456,976 LLLL.com’s all taken since 2007.
11,881,376 LLLLL.com, but not all taken. Will all 5L taken?

Last edited:
•••
Hello, I would like to start investing in 5L dot com domains that are brandable, such as adtea.com, qsell.com, etc.

My question is that, despite the fact that they are only 5 letters long and brandable, are they as quick to sell as the 4L DOT COM? since the latter, even if it is a bad domain, can be sold even in days. My doubt is that if the 5L DOT COM and if I get them to really have a possible brand name, can I make these also that liquid?
Hello,

Investing in 5-letter dot com domains that are brandable can be a good strategy. While 4-letter dot com domains tend to have higher demand and can sell quickly, 5-letter dot com domains can still be profitable if they have a strong potential as brand names. The liquidity of a domain depends on various factors such as its uniqueness, marketability, and demand within the industry. It's important to research and evaluate the potential of each domain individually to determine its market value and likelihood of selling quickly. Building a portfolio of high-quality, brandable 5-letter dot com domains can certainly increase your chances of finding potential buyers.

•••
Good discussion. I was trying to find 4L.com for a similar reason and on my search, stumbled upon a package (quite literally) in pckge.com. Not sure what the value might be, but seems like it could do well for a startup, maybe efficient shipping or eco delivery service etc. I'm guessing pronounceable 5Ls with the 2nd and/or last character being a vowel could do well. Good luck with your 5L search (y)

•••
In today's domaining, it is very hard to find an unused 4-letter domain, especially if there is a meaning associated with it, locally or internationally. I am keeping 3 4-letter domains for a couple of years now and all of them are getting offers. But because I have future plans, I decided to continue keeping them. 5-letter domains are less attractive than 4-letters unless it has valuable meaning.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back