IT.COM

Dotster "Pimping" Their Image?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I found this article to be very interesting.

It appears as though Dotster has launched a new service called Pimped Email which they hope will attract, I suspect, young users to their site to purchase domains. They've created a special search tool that a younger audience can use to create funny domain aliases (hell, even I thought it was kinda cool...), and they're essentially branding a domain as the means to customize one's online identity.

Save the obnoxious video (which I suppose may be a bit more interesting to youngsters), I think this is a pretty remarkable move by Dotster. Who else is marketing domains or other online services to youth? Also, if you read the FAQ, it looks like they've redesigned their control panel for this product so that users of all ages will be able to set up and manage their domains.

From where I stand, Dotster is looking more and more like a force to be reckoned with.

Think it'll work?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Read the page and it says to register band names. Sounds like they're encouraging something that could lead to a lot of TM violations and UDRP filings.

However, the name fits. They are the Pimps and making the customers the whores of potential TM violation. I'll bet the bands and music industry will love this one.

•••
That is rather interesting. Will have to see how that pans out LOL!

•••
Well, it just might work with the younger demographic. Everyone wants to be on that show, Pimp My Ride, right? ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back