IT.COM

We Want Forever Registration!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Business Brands

Knowledge is PowerRestricted (Market)
Impact
Let's solicit the .com registry towards it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I wouldn't vote for that business model. Prefer current model where domains expire and one can actually make money from them.

hate subscription business-models; why not both! Rob’s got a long fight ahead, im with him every step way

Samer

Last edited:
•••
i dont get the point..if you want to pay once, then pay for the next 30-40 or 50 years..
you also can reg at Namesilo and if you forget to renewal, you still have 30 days to renewal at usual fee

•••
With all due respect, cuz i know this is genuine concern:
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope

The technology is there, even the consumer is scared to embrace it. i believe “forever domain” increase liquidity be enamored with perpetual digital sovereignty, still have ‘rags to riches’ -without BS 10 year max subscription.

I believe in the Epik mission and brand. Admirable, instead of putting down Rob, or move thread to Promotion (?) (it would be cool if this was standard...) that’s the discussion worth having — w/o smearing Rob.
How are we smearing Bob? Bob appears to be the CEO of CEO's, of Domain registrars. He is dynamic, always working, get's stuff done immediately, and a nice guy.

Can we not disagree with him?

•••
The money actually isn't so much an issue as people think .. effectively at $392 ($400 - first year cost), they only need to make about 2.6% a year interest on the money for the renewals to effectively be paid by the interest alone. The math is definitely there to support such a plan unless there is a huge crash at the start with no significant re-correction for years. So sure it's possible .. but very unlikely. Even then, if the money of all such forever registrations are pooled together, it mitigates the effects of something like that having a significant effect.

•••
Or, better yet, choose your Forever registrar wisely.

Theres no way for anyone to know if Epik or any other registrar will still be around and honoring these 50 20 ot even 10 years from now.

•••
Doesn't really make sense for domainers. Already a long thread talking about all of this and all the problems.

Good for registrars, lot of money up front. But most domainers are trying to sell domains, not keep them forever. It's money better spent elsewhere, like other renewals, new acquisitions. Then it doesn't transfer over. You buy a forever registration at 1 registrar, it's stuck there.

Not sure if this was ever addressed, but the Escrow thread you linked to, Barrie said you approached him to sell Epik. What if that took place, does the new owner have to go along with it? Then again the other point, you can't transfer to another registrar. You could sell a domain with this kind of reg but the new buyers might have their own favorite registrar.

You guys can just set your domains to auto-renewal at your favorite registrar already if keeping up with renewals is too much for you. Or reg them for more than just 1 year.

Last edited:
•••
•••
First one to sign!!!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I don't understand. How does this work?

•••
•••
Horrible idea....unless you completely despise dropcatch.com and snap/NJ - and that hate is so deep that you would sacrifice your own livelihood.

A domain world where you can only acquire domains via handreg. No expired auctions/no drop catching.

Would be great for Hugedomains and others who have a complete portfolio - maybe. I don't even think a good thing for them.

You pro-lifetime registration folks are nuts.
Lifetime registration is a crutch for those who don't know what they are doing...

•••
Price should go down, not up.

•••
Let's solicit the .com registry towards it.

Where is the best single place (url, post) where I can see the case made for this (the clearest makes-sense, organized argument for it).

I have training in Marshall Rosenberg's work (and many many others do too) to be able to take a magnifying glass to the language (words and the tone) of a communication because, ultimately, it will be the words and the tone that will connect the sides, or not (lead to a mutual connection or not).

Getting things done and done well is all about mutual connection and its result: mutual cooperation and action based on that.

My offer/intention is to participate with my experience and share back to all interested.

For anyone not aware of Marshall's work (which has touched and changed millions of lives for the positive better. globally), Google his name to learn more about it (some call his work nonviolent communication and some call it compassionate communication; they're the same).

Paul

Last edited:
•••
And when someone dies/divorces, or just says, 'the hell with domains", those domains will be lost forever...

With all due respect, cuz i know this is genuine concern:
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope

The technology is there, even the consumer is scared to embrace it. i believe “forever domain” increase liquidity be enamored with perpetual digital sovereignty, still have ‘rags to riches’ -without BS 10 year max subscription.

I believe in the Epik mission and brand. Admirable, instead putting down Rob, move thread to Promotion (?) (it would be cool if was standard...) that’s the discussion worth having — w/o smear Rob IMO.

I hate the “rent-pay” mentality, hope Rob accomplishes!!

Last edited:
•••
Yes!
This would be a game changer

•••
How are we smearing Bob? Bob appears to be the CEO of CEO's, of Domain registrars. He is dynamic, always working, get's stuff done immediately, and a nice guy.

Can we not disagree with him?

Sorry!! wasnt directed at you. saw cheap shots before
(not u) Yea!! I believe the idea/business model is viable!!
Believe it can be done, in my lifetime. Epik going against the grain, offer it is only the first step.

You’re mad respectful lol, im talking about the ppl who use the opportunity bring up irrelevant topics ‘smears’:)
No dude, You’re not one them! only time tell who is right
Samer

Last edited:
•••
There are measures in place to assure that your cemetery plot will be in perpetuity - no mortgage on the land, reserves, bonding, etc.

Same with life insurance companies, there are licensing bonding reserve requirement to ensure that they don’t get insolvent.

What measures are in place with these registrars to ensure that they’ll be around forever? We’ve already devoted a thread
https://www.namepros.com/threads/if...ng-time-and-money.1119508/page-7#post-7330261
to where the Monster argues that he doesn’t need to be licensed or bonded to perform “escrows,” and also mentioned in that thread and elsewhere is that the lack of any licensing bonding or even assets is at the heart of DAN’s shell game to immunize it from liability.

Last edited:
•••
The idea seems find on its face so long as its 1 an official option from the registry (which it is not) and is only an option and you can still opt for annual terms for domains that dont have long term need.

The problem with Epik offering this is to get it you are prepaying for ~50 years of renewals (at current registry cost) and trusting Epik to keep renewing it in perpetuity. Given price increases and the inevitability that at some point in time Epik will loose money on this. And who's to say that once Rob retires a future CEO decides to stop offering this because of the costs. I'll take paying my measly ~$10/yr to know for sure my domain stays good. Too much risk IMO otherwise without it being a registry level thing which I will guess will never happen, at least with verisign.

Not to mention, and yes this is kinda self serving, but no expiring domains will make domaining less appealing to new guys who dont have the deep pockets because once that sort of scarcity is introduced prices even domainer to domainer will skyrocket. It truly will become like digital real estate (price wise).

Last edited:
•••
I feel that we still remembered about alpnames case, forever registration is only another option , its not ideal solution in some situation

•••

That's true Rob, Forever registration seems suitable for people who want to be forever domain investor

•••
I am one against it what is to stop hoarding names never to be used again. The current system is how your going to get big numbers on reselling.

•••
As a domainer of only 3 years, I've already resold an expired domain I got at auction back to the original owner. I gave it to him relatively cheap because of the circumstances .. but it was still more than $392.
Quality example of a great domainer experience with ethics assisting in domain recovery without exploitation and being compensated on time with happy customers. thumbs up.
You don't have to push them away with big number abandoning project.

Last edited:
•••
Doesn't really make sense for domainers. Already a long thread talking about all of this and all the problems.

Good for registrars, lot of money up front. But most domainers are trying to sell domains, not keep them forever. It's money better spent elsewhere, like other renewals, new acquisitions. Then it doesn't transfer over. You buy a forever registration at 1 registrar, it's stuck there.

Not sure if this was ever addressed, but the Escrow thread you linked to, Barrie said you approached him to sell Epik. What if that took place, does the new owner have to go along with it? Then again the other point, you can't transfer to another registrar. You could sell a domain with this kind of reg but the new buyers might have their own favorite registrar.

You guys can just set your domains to auto-renewal at your favorite registrar already if keeping up with renewals is too much for you. Or reg them for more than just 1 year.

See the detailed terms for Forever domains:

https://www.epik.com/forever.php

An acquirer could refund the Forever registrants in full. They would keep their pre-paid registrations which is always 10 years into the future.

As for selling Epik, the company is not for sale. We are having way too much fan and growing with an accelerating pace. We likely will do as much revenue in Q4 2019 as we did in all of 2018. Maybe more.

As for the conversation with Matt, it was at a time when I was still looking for the evidence that I was working on the right thing. I have the confirmation I needed. Thankfully Matt Barrie will never own Epik. Ever.

•••
I'm for lower reg/renewal fees. Lower it to $3/yr.... But infinite registration sounds like a terrible idea...

•••
I wouldn't vote for that business model. Prefer current model where domains expire and one can actually make money from them.

+1

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back