IT.COM

.tv Warning: .TV domains are sinking

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
"People trying to register .tv domain names are being warned that the island of Tuvalu, which the domain represents, is sinking.

Domain registrar GoDaddy is even claiming that, because the Pacific Ocean island could go the way of Atlantis, users should opt for .com or .net domains instead.

As a result of global warming Tuvalu - which at it's peak is just 5m above sea-level - could disappear, and if it ceases to exist so will .tv domains."

http://newslite.tv/2009/05/01/warning-tv-domains-are-sinking.html

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That is just Godaddy stirring up trouble, they have been doing it for a while in some petty marketing ploy.
They spent all of 2008 saying how .tv was the greatest thing since sliced bread but when they decided to put their energy into .me then slagging off .tv was part of the plan.

I'm not worried at all.
It's all been covered many times before......boring:rolleyes::zzz:

•••
•••
this is old news, godaddy reproduced this from older news as well and another site publish it some months after, resulting to a new topic from Domain Jedi at NP

this is the definition of invalid news

•••
I have previously invested heavily in .tv, love the extension etc. Glad to hear this isn't really an issue!

•••
Probably a dumb question but they can't just
take them all away as if it never existed
if the island sinks...wouldn't that make .tv's more valuable?

I haven't read up on it so I don't know if it's
been mentioned anywhere - I'm just asking :)

•••

I don't for one second think that .tv's would be allowed to sink along with the island.... Infact it would probably lead to the ext being re-classified as a tld with the ext relating to television instead of Tulavu!

•••
Tuvalu's sinking, but its domain is on solid ground
Of all the dot-com bubble fantasies gone awry, none could be more bizarre than the story of the tiny island nation of Tuvalu.

The tiny South Pacific island nation of Tuvalu is in danger of sinking.
By Torsten Blackwood, AFP/Getty Images

In the late-1990s, Tuvalu was supposed to get rich by selling access to its Internet domain, which happens to be .tv — funny, since the entire nation has not a single broadcast TV station.

If all went as planned, by now the 11,000 or so Tuvaluans would be living in McMansions, driving to the beach in Hummers and getting regular Botox treatments.

Instead, the money is more of a trickle, and Tuvalu has a much bigger problem: The entire Tuvalu land mass — nine slender South Pacific islands and atolls — is apparently doomed to sink beneath the ocean. Earlier this year, Tuvalu came the closest yet to vanishing.

Oddly enough, Tuvalu might then leave a legacy imagined only in science-fiction novels. It could become the first virtual nation — a country that exists only on the Internet. If Tuvalu's land disappears, its population will disperse, yet Tuvalu under international law will remain a sovereign nation even though its only "real estate" will be the .tv Internet domain.

While all this is going on, neighboring South Pacific island nation Palau is started down a similar path. It recently signed over rights to its domain — .pw — to a Massachusetts tech company that promises a more reasonable financial outcome for the Palauans. Of course, it helps that Palau is not about to burble beneath the waves.

This South Pacific tale begins amid the 1990s madness for Web addresses, when some addresses were selling for millions of dollars. Speculators bought up every word in the dictionary — even the likes of hookworm.com and supercilious.com — certain they could sell each one of them for a bundle to some start-up.

Then people realized it was possible to register a Web address in another country and use its domain. That would open up whole new swaths of Web real estate. Every country has its own top-level domain — Afghanistan is .af; Ghana is .gh. Since the Net is boundary-less, Amazon.gh could theoretically be as accessible as Amazon.com.

Of all the world's countries, none had a more exploitable domain assignment than Tuvalu. The letters TV are linked to entertainment in just about every language.

So entrepreneurs from the USA, Japan and Europe descended on Tuvalu, where the prime minister works in a two-bedroom house and most of the population subsists on the fish caught each day.

The first guy offered $5,000 but shortsightedly backed out when the parliament held out for $10,000. By the time it was over, Tuvalu had a 12-year contract to share revenue from .tv registrations to be marketed by a start-up company called DotTV, which was backed by $50 million from California high-tech incubator Idealab.

Tuvalu expected a windfall. DotTV predicted every entertainment company would want a .tv address. At the time, its executives cited examples such as sony.tv, nbc.tv and zee.tv — the last for India's Zee TV network.

This being the era when people talked of initial public stock offerings before a company's bathroom needed its first replacement roll of toilet paper, DotTV anticipated a big IPO. The company even said it would create a .tv portal.

Of course, in 2000 the dot-com bubble blew apart, and the value of Web addresses dove like a pelican after a fish. No .tv boom ever happened. Today, nbc.tv is a dead end, sony.tv is for sale, and zee.tv bounces to sheeraz.com, the Web site of Southeast Asian television entrepreneur Sheeraz Hasan.

According to Web monitor Hitwise, the most popular .tv site is Fox's kids site, foxbox.tv. It gets a market share one-hundredth that of the top television-based Web site, espn.com. In the meantime, DotTV was sold to Internet company VeriSign, and recent news reports say Tuvalu's Internet revenue is used primarily to pave roads.

That alone would be a heck of a dot-bust sob story, but then there's the part about Tuvalu sinking.

The islands are, at best, 15 feet above sea level. Unusually high tides have started flooding the islands — not by creeping up the beaches, but by bubbling up through the ground, as if the islands were leaky boats. Prime Minister Saufatu Sopoaga has been jetting around the world in a panic, telling anyone who will listen that Tuvalu will be the first victim of global warming. As sea levels rise, tourists might soon be able to see Tuvalu only by snorkel.

Now, that brings up a question: What happens to a domain if a nation disappears?

VeriSign spokesman Tom Galvin tells me that a defunct country's Internet domain lives on. For instance, you can still find addresses on .su — the domain for the Soviet Union.

Anyway, as Galvin points out, Tuvalu would not necessarily cease to exist. Apparently, the laws of the sea say that a country is a country, even if underwater. Sopoaga has said in speeches, "Our sovereignty would not be threatened. Our claim would be maintained on this spot."

Which is how you get to the point where Tuvalu could have a government, a people — albeit a diaspora — but no territory. Yet Tuvalu would exist on the Internet as .tv. Sci-fi novels such as Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash predict virtual nations. Tuvalu might someday be revered as a trendsetter.

Along the way, we can watch Palau's adventure unfold. This year, it sold rights to .pw to a Woburn, Mass., company called PW Registry, which wants to market the domain for "personal Web" sites. "Individuals will eventually establish a permanent presence on the Internet, just like companies do," says PW Registry founder Tom Barrett. And .pw would be the place for them, he says.

Palau could turn out to be a better story. The nation isn't starting with mania-driven expectations. Its 20,000 citizens are also counting on a future in tourism. It is building its first golf course and later this year will launch its national airline, which will consist of a single Boeing 737.

The only thing I can't figure out is why this hasn't happened yet in the Bahamas.

Its domain: .bs.

Kevin Maney has covered technology for USA TODAY since 1985. His column appears Wednesdays. Click here for an index of Technology columns. E-mail him at: [email protected].

•••
Brilliant Post Equity!
One of the most informative I've ever read.

Thanx, and repped!

Hmmm, I'm trying to add a rep, but it says I added a rep to you on this Post already???
Maybe that function isn't up n running.
I will try again later!

•••
This is about ... the tiny island of Tuvalu, correct? :blink:

Regarding the ".TV" extension (which is actually the ccTLD of Tuvalu - not actually, in its proper form, for "Television"), I would generally advise select and limiting these investments to only those generic/keyword & Geo's that could be developable - and, of course, taking in to account the sometimes very hefty .TV renewal fees, IMHO. :gl:

Just my two sense.
-Jeff B-)

•••
•••
I'm not a .tv investor and I have nothing against Godaddy, however I find it highly unprofessional that Godaddy's website has gone so far as to discourage people from purchasing a .tv domain, especially for such a ridiculous reason. Seeing as Godaddy has promoted and sold .tv domains in the past and no doubt has a large following of .tv domainers who've registered their .tv domains there, what exactly is Godaddy trying to accomplish here? I obviously don't see .tv investors being happy about this -- I can't see any domainer (except perhaps a major .tv naysayer) being happy about this.. Can we expect Bob to pick on some other ccTLD next? Honestly, it's the kind of behaviour I'd expect from a 5 year old, not someone running a company as large as Godaddy. :|

•••
What happens to Miami.COM if the sea level rises 6 feet?

Well computers don't float, so I would imagine their servers would sink to the bottom and then thousands of years from now some divers will find them and believe they are from the lost civilization of Atlantis.

•••
its all about .me which is GoDaddy's investment
.tv's and .me's have in a way the same target

•••
I don't want to sound too much like a science teacher - but Tuvalu is NOT sinking...

...the sea level is actually rising.

Now, for all the scientists out there, if the sea level rises by enough to cover all of Tuvalu we will all be a bit too concerned about most of the towns and cities along the coasts of dozens of other countries.

The oceans don't just rise over Tuvalu, they rise equally, EVERYWHERE.

So, for those in London and New York, think what that extra five metres in sea level could do to your city.

And then consider the idiotic words you hear about Tuvalu.

Oh, out of interest, when a volcano erupted in Tristan da Cunha (TLD = .sh) in 1961, the entire population were evacuated to wooden huts in the disused Pendell Army Camp in Merstham, Surrey, England. But that still didn't stop them being from Tristan da Cunha. The same would happen to the residents of Tuvalu.

•••
here we go again...:bah:

•••

I don't for one second think that .tv's would be allowed to sink along with the island.... Infact it would probably lead to the ext being re-classified as a tld with the ext relating to television instead of Tulavu!
Would that get rid of the premium name prices too? Verisign's deal is with Tulavu. If Tulavu were gone and the ccTLD were reclassified to a gTLD, then TV might be able to get out from under these oppressive prices.

•••
I'm not a .tv investor and I have nothing against Godaddy, however I find it highly unprofessional that Godaddy's website has gone so far as to discourage people from purchasing a .tv domain, especially for such a ridiculous reason. Seeing as Godaddy has promoted and sold .tv domains in the past and no doubt has a large following of .tv domainers who've registered their .tv domains there, what exactly is Godaddy trying to accomplish here? I obviously don't see .tv investors being happy about this -- I can't see any domainer (except perhaps a major .tv naysayer) being happy about this.. Can we expect Bob to pick on some other ccTLD next? Honestly, it's the kind of behaviour I'd expect from a 5 year old, not someone running a company as large as Godaddy. :|

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I think this could be a good thing for TV investors. At the moment, average users have to hunt around to register a TV on Godaddy, and even then they may be put off by the message about Tuvalu sinking.

That means that there's more great names available for the more "dedicated" TV investors. And when Parsons changes his mind again in a few months (or years) and starts promoting TV in the same way as other extensions again, we've picked up some nice names in the meantime!

Fingers crossed :)

Cheers, Jon

•••
If Tulavu were gone and the ccTLD were reclassified to a gTLD, then TV might be able to get out from under these oppressive prices.

Probably it wont happen, because as per ICANN's policies, gTLD extensions should have a minimum length of three letters.

People are investing thousands of dollars everyday towards the development of .tv rich media websites. They wont let .tv to disappear.

With the involvement of major broadcasting companies like Pogo, Turner, Sony, MLB etc, it is highly impossible for ICANN to decommission an attractive global brand like .tv.

As already stated by Ray, .SU is still functioning.

The current CCTLD for Russian Federation is .RU and NOT .RF

On the other hand, Russian Federation government is going to delegate domains under a newly proposed idn extension .РФ (.RF - Russian Federation). The same question will arise if ICANN decides to decommission .RU and introduce .RF to comply with the IDN extension .РФ.

Last edited:
•••
i changed nameservers for two .tvs 2 days ago and they are not changing?
yet the .com changes happened instantly , now i have to contact them and ask why ?

•••
yet the .com changes happened instantly , now i have to contact them and ask why ?

I'm sorry but I have no idea what this has to do with this thread??? :-/

•••
The servers are sinking? :|
What GoDaddy did is not serious and highly unprofessional.

Email MTV,Liverpool FC,Adidas,Renault,Audi,Mercedes,BMW,Vogue and tens of thousands of others to go buy new swimsuits.

It is imo highly likely that when GoDaddy is not around any longer after pushing it just a little further and getting a ton of bad press from end users on all they're constant attempts to what seems a deliberate attempt to make things complicated and all those 2945 offers to buy something before allowing you to renew a domain.

And the thing is that even if this hallucinated thought had any legs these legs would be cut off around when new Gtld's are becoming available as obviously if there was no .TV, that would i think surely be one of the top 3 logical choices one would want to own.

I know you must at least have 3 characters for a gTLD but that imo will change for reasons that have nothing to do with .TV specifically (I believe it will change due to demand from Asian countries where 1 character can be a whole sentence).

Pathetic attempt. GoDaddy finds it too easy to try and mislead users with this clear non objective view.

Last edited:
•••
I'm sorry but I have no idea what this has to do with this thread??? :-/

I am saying even their service to .tv holders is now lacking

•••
I am saying even their service to .tv holders is now lacking

Ok gotcha. ;) Did not realise you were talking about changing your servers at Godaddy.

•••
Well if the island sinks, better for the .TV extension! Cause then the official meaning .tv will be TV not the island.

But really, the island aint going to sink anyway.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back