Domain Empire

Warning: Never Use Host Gator!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
This has the be the most absurd thing I have ever heard. I hope there is a Host Gator representative that frequents here, as I would love for them to see this.

Here's my story:

Let me start off by saying I had never used UseNet before yesterday. In fact, I knew nothing about it. I assumed it was sort of like a forum. So I found a group that was discussing a topic I had a site related to, and I posted a message advertising my service. To my surprise, I get an email a few minutes later saying my Host Gator account has been suspended due to spamming. I contact them and find out that "spamvertising" is against their TOS and I broke that rule. So I apologize, explained my misunderstanding, and they reinstated me account under the conditions I never do it again.

Here's where it gets ugly...

A few hours ago I check on the website and I get a message saying the account has been suspended, AGAIN! I check my email and no, I received no email from Host Gator telling me why they suspended my account. So I once again contact Host Gator, and after waiting for half an hour, I get this message:
Hi,

Your account is cancelled, when we discussed issues in the future, we had no idea you meant your account would violate our terms of service again in 24 hours. Your domain is responsible for HostGator being marked as 'spam friendly' today by various groups. You will not be reinstated.

I am completely blown away! I didn't "spam" anymore after that! I didn't even really do anything with the site between yesterday and today, and now I am a spammer?

So for the record: Do not use Host Gator. My account has been suspended for no reason, or for at least nothing I did. And if I can't get the files off of their servers, I am going to be livid. >:(

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Will this affect hosting you have provided to namepros members?

•••
No, those NamePros.com members are hosted by a different provider. ;)

•••
Wow Apexx, another unhappy Gator customer. If you need hosting, let me know. I would be more than willing to help you out for free.

•••
Now I'm at the point where I'm just begging them to let me download my MySQL database backups from the server as I don't have a local copy.

Their support rep just keeps closing my tickets without responding...

•••
ApeXX said:
No, those NamePros.com members are hosted by a different provider. ;)

Just had to ask.

I hope you'll be able to get your sql database files... it is unfortunate that these threads keep coming up about host gator :td:

Good Luck! - Deaol

•••
It turns out, after talking to a support rep, they changed their mind about my pardon for "spamming". Yesterday they just gave me a warning and said not to do it anymore, which I didn't. Today they changed their mind and said it was a offense worthy of a permanent ban. :td:

At least I got my backups, so I'll be moving on.

Thanks for the offer TrexHost, I really appreciate it. I've already found another provider but if problems come up with them, I'll let you know. ;)

Last edited:
•••
I can still remember, a couple of months ago I was about to sign up, now, that are 10 unhappy costumers I've seen, no way to think about them again.

•••
I had a very bad experience with HostGator as well and would definitely recommend that people look elsewhere when they need a hosting account. I think they are guility of blatantly false advertising and would never trust them again.

•••
I also read some terrible reviews for HostGator. Just search Google when in doubt. Move on, try HostDime. They are real nice guys! Tested them.. :)

•••
I had problems in the past with hostgator as well, recently I had a nightmare experience with Site5. Bottom line is these big companies oversell big time and they don't like customers that actually use resources.

•••
I've heard terrible things about hostgator. They appear to be alot of talk but not much for walking.

•••
How about ANhosting.com? They do have phone support, like HostGator, from what I understand.

Anyone using ANhosting (or midPhase, which I understand is owned by same company)?

jg123 said:
I had problems in the past with hostgator as well, recently I had a nightmare experience with Site5. Bottom line is these big companies oversell big time and they don't like customers that actually use resources.
I chose Site5 and it was a mistake.

So which one have you settled on?

•••
NP41215 said:
How about ANhosting.com? They do have phone support, like HostGator, from what I understand.

Anyone using ANhosting (or midPhase, which I understand is owned by same company)?

I chose Site5 and it was a mistake.

So which one have you settled on?

What are your requirements and budget?

•••
A few of my friends use Hostgator and they find it good. I have seen unhappy hostgator cusomers before.

There mostly seems to be some sort of misunderstanding.

•••
It's funny how they don't consider it "spamvertising" when they display crap on your 404 pages.

•••
I once asked them about that... they pretty much were like "No it is ok, you can change them if you want" I was like wait that is MY traffic and you are earning on it.. I was not happy about that. Overall I have been happy with them. no complaints here except for my 404 traffic being sent to their ads
asianinvasion said:
It's funny how they don't consider it "spamvertising" when they display crap on your 404 pages.

•••
ApeXX said:
Now I'm at the point where I'm just begging them to let me download my MySQL database backups from the server as I don't have a local copy.

Their support rep just keeps closing my tickets without responding...

Wow thats sorta harsh..

Sorry to hear mate!

•••
I always had a bad feeling about HostGator, even before reading reviews. Large company, in for a huge profit margin, selling web hosting cheap... hmm... there has to be a catch.
At the moment (nothing bad happened yet) I would recommend HostNine, very reliable and free Modernbill license, even if you unsubscribe :D

•••
Yeah, using usenet is like walking on eggs, I had a site thrown out of all major search engines for a reference. I didn't even post a link, just a domain, without tld (but, come to think of it, at that time almost everyone used .com...) way back in 2002.

Took a lot of work to get cleared of all spam dbs after that. Pain in the ...

Good luck with your new host...and steer clear of Usenet in any case.

•••
I have to say that it is doesn't metter how old is web hosting company. Now people looking for quality and company must develop every time.

•••
I remember when i was going through hostgator when i first started hostparlor.com for some reason all of my files where deleted off of my reseller and i contacted them and they told me that i deleted the public_html. I said no i didn't i was at work for the last 12 hours and i assure you it was NOT me....they then said yes it was and i said what is the ip, and they said they could not give me that info........so i told them my ip and they said yep it was your ip that did it. Un freaking believable. My computer is FREAKING awsome! It can login to my hosting account while being turned off and delete all of my files. I knew i shouldn't have kicked it before i went to work!!!! it sure got me back..... i then asked them ok well can you please provide me with a backup and we'll just take care of this.... To my suprise they wanted to charge me $15.00 for there mistake to get a backup!! So i leave there service and ask for a refund. They then tell me that i can not recieve a refund because i violated there tos...... WOW not only did my computer delete all the files in my ftp while being turned off but it also logged into my mail and started spamming....wow shouldn't i be rich or something??? for having a computer that can do all of this stuff while being turned off and disconnected from the internet? Bet you wish your dell could do that!

Although hostgator did provide me with good support most of the time i was with them, and there server was fast and had good uptime. I cannot complain about that.

Last edited:
•••
HostGator said:
Hi,

Your account is cancelled, when we discussed issues in the future, we had no idea you meant your account would violate our terms of service again in 24 hours. Your domain is responsible for HostGator being marked as 'spam friendly' today by various groups. You will not be reinstated.
your post will be moved on this
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.spam/topics?lnk=sg
and they will call your site "spam" friendly
and also most hosting provider nowadays are banning the promotion of sites on newsgroups as it only breeds trolls

•••
It is becoming very common to see negative reviews about Host Gator.

•••
Host Gator Rocks !! I've Been Using It For 2 And A Half Years.. When Ever I Had Troubles, I Live Chat And They Fix Within A Day Or 2..

Go Host Gator..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back