Dynadot

Alternative to "Reseller Hosting"?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I've come to the realization I'm overpaying for my Host Gator package. I use the minimum $24 package, but never come close to hitting the allotted disk space or bandwidth.

I technically only operate one website, but my entire portfolio has landing pages.

Are there any good US alternatives to what Host Gator is offering?

Thanks in advance and happy new year.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Am I reading this right? I can just pay $6-10 for one of their regular plans and achieve the same results?

I've basically donated $20 to Host Gator after all of this time?

280ib1k.png

Anyone want 40gb of disk space for $20/month? :P

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For the most part a reseller account is just like a "shared" hosting account except that you can set up hosting accounts with their own login and file systems for each domain/site you have. I like this because it keeps things organized for me. One advantage is if I ever sell a site I can offer the new owner hosting and they don't have to move the site to another host.

But if you don't need this and don't mind keeping your domains under one account a shared hosting account will save you money and in some cases you can save a LOT!.

But you have to be careful with cheap hosts that only charge $1, 2$, or $3 a month. They have have too many sites hosted for the server capacity, have bad webmasters that cause problems, or they may not have much experience in managing their equipment. Do some searches for things like "[thewebhostname] sucks" and see what turns up. Don't worry if you find one or two unhappy customers. But if you see a lot of them then find someone else.

Hostgator is great and I have been with them for a few years, but I also have about 6 other hosting accounts and most of them are reseller accounts. Average price for small reseller accounts is about $20. With Hostgator you are paying for the higher quality of their service and support. The question is if it is worth that extra money or not.

They don't advertise this, but if you talk to them about leaving they may offer to let you "downgrade" your account. They lower the bandwidth and hard drive space and for a "Special Reller" account it is $15 per month or $45 per quarter. I don't have the specs but it was enough that I shouldn't run out with the sites I run. See if you can get that if that is more like what you want to pay.

•••
Thanks for the input. I can honestly say I have no use for a reseller account, even @ $15.

Had I known that I could host my entire portfolio with a regular account, I would have never upgraded. I've been paying $24 for features I can get for $8/month.

What's even more annoying is that they're trying to charge me to do it. They're trying to call this a "migration". :lol: Classy, Host Gator.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
If you are simply just hosting your own demands purchase a hosting account that allows parked / addon domains. You can manage all the accounts with one account.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back