Dynadot

Warning! Free info promotion

NameSilo
Watch

-OutlawBiker-

Name Cartels - Mr PINKEstablished Member
Impact
Warning! OK this is the kindof stuff I was worried about. Just got this email after registering my only 25 free infos at namesecure.com Looks like I'm one of the "legitimate" customers that got "caught in that situation" and they don't have the means to fix it? They hit me for $15 a name even after the receipt showed $0 to be charged. Looks like a scheme to me.

Our system believes that you have already registered free .info domain names and therefore charged you for these. The system we have in place to check if someone has ordered 25 free .info domains is in place to keep people from opening extra accounts and try to register more domains. Unfortunately some legitimate customers get caught in this situation. We do not have any way to correct it at this time. So, what we can do is give you a refund and remove those domains or you can keep the domains but the charge will remain. Let me know what you want to do.

Now I needed those names for a project. They were picked out long ago and still available, so I thought why not. Now my choices are either pay the $15 each (more than twice my regular rate), or risk losing them when they "remove" them after my refund.

Doc

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I dont understand.... I never read anywhere that said you cant open multiple accounts from different registrars to take advantage of the 25 free .infos.....

Before they throw promotions, they should have clarify their stipulations more thoroughly.

•••
I was a little worried about this too, having just registered my first and only 25 free .INFOs at NameSecure.com - think about this, is it possible that they highly value a few of your free domains and decide to indirectly take over them, knowing fully well that there is a high chance the customer will opt for the refund and thus release the valuable domain for their subsequent (immediate) grab?

•••
Hey OB
You could take the refund, let them put them back & then reg at you regular price. I don't think they will be going to droplists as they are just being refunded & released.

My 2 dimes & a nickel's worth.

Jim

•••
jaydub said:
Hey OB
You could take the refund, let them put them back & then reg at you regular price. I don't think they will be going to droplists as they are just being refunded & released.

My 2 dimes & a nickel's worth.

Jim

Yeah thought of that but they say they would "remove" them. They don't say delete. I think if you say refund they don't want to give someone the option of going somewhere else and picking them up cheaper. That's part of the reason this looks rigged. The other thing that smells funny is that they "can't fix" it.

•••
ckclark121 said:
I dont understand.... I never read anywhere that said you cant open multiple accounts from different registrars to take advantage of the 25 free .infos.....

I don't think it's true, either. The registrars are independent in that sense and any special they offer is an internal matter.
However they can stipulate some conditions like if your accidentaly register 26 names, you have to pay for all of them or if you try to cheat and they discover it...

"The legitimate customers" story, if true, is a nice sign to forget about domaindiscover and doing business with them.
Or maybe they were sure about the "delict", but still wanted to be polite.

Last edited:
•••
D-: This issue may get hot.

I suppose lots of folks will get similar Emails.

Any follow up from namesecure.com ?

PS:
I did exactly %%-25 .info regs at domaindiscount24.net

•••
i did 25 @ namesecure and 6 @ dotster

•••
The issue is you get 25 per registrar, but some resellers also offer the promotion so you have to be sure who the registrar is.

•••
just say something like:

"why am i being charged for these domains? I know it is probably because my ip registered 25 at another domain, but those other 25 are not mine, they are my dads, we live under the same house and use the same ip. So i would really appreciate it if i can keep these domains, i got a message from another site offering these free 25 info domains and they said that u can have 25 infos for every family member."

or something like that, good luck

•••
The thing here is that I only regged the 25. Their system at Namesecure is evidently messed up and they admit it hits "legitimate" customers too, but they can't correct it. Could be their choice NOT to fix it. Now they shouldn't be able to offer this promotion if they are going to make mistakes and not put in the resources to fix their errors. This isn't about multiple registrar offers, but about this one registrar (Namesecure) putting in a faulty system to protect against abuse. They know it doesn't work so why not fix it instead of charging legitimate customers? I think they profit by this move. How many people % are going to just say charge me then.

•••
Hey Doc

did you regg some free info's at another registrar or reseller?

or is NameSecure the only place you regged them free?

•••
I regged 25 only at NameSecure and no where else.

•••
Gulp, I just registered 3 .infos yesterday from Namesecure. D-:

•••
Besides this the original Email looks not professional, and opens the door to ask some questions:

"Our system believes ....."
--> Ask them to do a human rewiew of your domains instad of the apperantly bugged system.

"The system we have in place to check if someone has ordered 25 free .info domains..... "
--> What is the systems criteria ?

"We do not have any way to correct it at this time."
--> OK, keep the domains free untill you are able to correct !

"So, what we can do is give you a refund and remove those domains"
--> A refund for free domains ?
Anyway, here are the ones I wanna keep (send your 25).

"Let me know what you want to do."
--> Never ever order again from you - not eaven for free 8-X

--> PS: Could you send me a list of the supposed 25+X domains ?

I would love to see the answer from them.

----------
I heard that some registrars regged .info for the corresponding .com clients had with them, without asking for it (Just like: they are free so we secured the .info version for you).

Last edited:
•••
why don't you let them delete those domains and reg them again at another registrar?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back