Dynadot

discuss Verizon is stealing traffic on unused domains and subdomains

NameSilo
Watch
I have noticed a disturbing situation: Verizon is stealing traffic from unused domains and subdomains and directing Verizon customers to various places. For most of the thefts, Verizon customers are directed to a parking page filled with ads

For example, asad.1-25.com (this is my domain, and the subdomain is unused) goes here for Verizon customers:

More specifically, if an unused subdomain domain name is similar to another name, Verizon engages some kind of algorithm and redirects it to a specific page, for example,

For Verizon customers, the unused subdomain Sales.1-25.com takes them to

I have tested this on some of my other unused subdomains, and I have found the same redirect.

In other words, Verizon is stealing pieces of YOUR unused property to redirect it to their ads on their parking pages and their advertisers.

Even if you aren't a Verizon customer, you are still affected because if a Verizon customer does a search on your unused domain or subdomain, they will be redirected to Verizon parking pages or specific pages with similar terms. It doesn't matter who owns the domain.

Why is this important?

1. THEY ARE STEALING FROM YOU AND MAKING MONEY OFF YOUR DIGITAL PROPERTY!

2. Most importantly, if their ad pages are filled with ads that could be construed as trademark infringement, YOU COULD LOSE THE DOMAIN in a UDRP, even though you are completely innocent!!!​

This week, I'm going to look into the possibility of getting a lawyer to send a Cease and Desist letter to Verizon, and perhaps file a contingency or class action lawsuit.

If your internet provider is Verizon, I invite you to test this for yourself, on both my examples and your own unused domains.

By the way, these are Go Daddy domains; unfortunately, Go Daddy does not offer subdomain wildcarding, but, perhaps, they should start.

UPDATE: Changed category to "Discuss"

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They are still at it ?
One good reason for using a real DNS service, not that from your ISP.

•••
By the way, these are Go Daddy domains; unfortunately, Go Daddy does not offer subdomain wildcarding, but, perhaps, they should start.

In the zone file editor, click "add record", record type = CNAME, alias name = *, points to = @. Then save zone file and all subdomains should point to the same place.

•••
In the zone file editor, click "add record", record type = CNAME, alias name = *, points to = @. Then save zone file and all subdomains should point to the same place.

This is fine, but what if you need to use some other sub domains?

•••
This is fine, but what if you need to use some other sub domains?

add those other ones as cnames as well. If the subdomain entered in the browser matches one of your cname entries, it will get used, but if the subdomain isn't found then your * entry will get used.

•••
Verizon isn't the only company doing it. Lots of ISP's are these days. Time Warner Cable for example, also does it. These companies setup a DNS so users don't just get a 404 error, they get taken to a parked page instead. They're also probably making a huge chunk of extra change off it each month!

•••
Godaddy does the same. On multiple occasions domains with redirects to my sites became godaddy parking pages for a period of time, then switch back to the set redirect; -- rinse & repeat.

It is clear to me an algo routinely hijacks redirected domains... as most folks set and forget their redirects.

•••

This won't affect the main domain? In other words, will domain and subdomains all point to the main site?

For example, I just did a wildcard setting for tapii.com in the CNAME record. When I tested random subdomains, I get "This website is temporarily unavailable, please try again later" (which is, frankly, better than those Verizon link pages).

Will these subdomains eventually point to my main site (which is my sales site)?

•••
This won't affect the main domain? In other words, will domain and subdomains all point to the main site?

For example, I just did a wildcard setting for tapii.com in the CNAME record. When I tested random subdomains, I get "This website is temporarily unavailable, please try again later" (which is, frankly, better than those Verizon link pages).

Will these subdomains eventually point to my main site (which is my sales site)?

Sorry. It looks like your subdomains are now pointing properly to your server, but that your server isn't set up to redirect all subdomains to your main page. The procedure for setting that up varies depending on your host so if you don't know how to do it, you'll have to call support to help you with that.

•••
Thank you, discobull.

I'll look into that.

In any case, I'd rather have the pages point to nothing than Verizon link pages.

•••
I'm in the process of adding * @ to my CNAMES panel; I discovered that I can still add working subdomains (for unused subdomains, the * sends the user to an error page).

But I tested some domains not yet changed; when I test "video" as a subdomain, it takes me to the Vimeo site.

And when I test a trademarked word, such as Verizon (Verizon.bragly.com), I'm directed to the Verizon homepage (unsurprisingly).

Quite frankly, this is utter and complete BS. How dare Verizon (or any other internet provider) steal my property for their use? It IS theft, and I consider Verizon as an unwanted thief who is stealing from me. It doesn't matter if it's unlikely that anyone will type in video.bragly.com via direct navigation. And now I have to waste a lot of time adding commands to circumnavigate Verizon (among other providers).

What's more, the WRONG links could land my domain(s) in legal hot water.

And it's not just Verizon:

I'm not one to litigate at every turn (I have never sued anyone), but I'm seriously considering joining or initiating a class action suit against internet providers who hijack traffic.

•••
FWIW, I have just filed a complaint with the FCC:

I have discovered that Verizon is hijacking unused sub domains and using them for link farms and even using algorithms to send Verizon customers to specific advertisers. For example, when I click on the unused "sales.scamful.com" (this is my domain), I am redirected to http://www.zales.com/home/index.jsp. I own several domain names, which means that an infinite number of sub-domains can be hijacked by my internet provider for their monetary gain and my loss. Moreover, if the wrong ads appear on my sub-domains, I could possibly lose them in a trademark infringement suit.

After talking with other professionals, I understand that other internet providers also hijack traffic from their customers. If this is true, then this goes beyond me and my concerns, but suggests a systemic theft of customer and non-customer digital property by internet providers.

For my internet issue, I selected " interference" because Verizon is interfering with my traffic and property -- and taking me to unwanted websites and link farms.

More details are available on my complaint site:

http://www.scamful.com/2015/06/name-and-shame-verizon-is-traffic-thief.html

My next step: looking into legal remedies, possibly a class-action suit.

•••
how is this legal? and wouldn't those parked pages eventually kill the SEO value of a domain, considering google doesn't like parked pages? even if it doesnt, they have no right to redirect traffic of domains that arent theres for the sole purpose of making $... this is worse than adware

•••
Just an update:

The FCC is forwarding my complaint to Verizon, who must respond directly to me within 30 days.

Probably not much will come of it, but at least I'm creating a digital trail in case I go forward with legal action.

Meanwhile, I'm disabling all my subdomains that are on Go Daddy's nameservers (Domaincontrol):

(* points to @ in the CNAME zone).

It's boring, mind numbing work...

:(

•••
Been at this forever. Kind of funny ok for them to do it but let you register a domain name close tot here tm and they sing in court crying.

•••
Just an update:

The FCC is forwarding my complaint to Verizon, who must respond directly to me within 30 days.

I would be EXTREMELY cautious proceeding on your Own "After" receiving any/all correspondence from Verizon.

I see and respect your findings and to be honest many here should join your cause.

With that said a warning.. Verizon legal team will go above and beyond to keep any and all revenue at ALL cost.
Good luck!

I am NOT a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn.

Last edited:
•••
Good advice.

I'll seek counsel before responding to any correspondence from Verizon.

•••
If you can get the FCC to ban this, I will love you forever. This is why I use Google's DNS servers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back