NameSilo

news Verisign warns on Chinese market boom

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Verisign cannot predict if or how long this increased pace of gross additions will continue and we cannot at this time predict what the renewal rate for these domain names will be. Verisign has noted in the past that renewal rates for domain names registered in emerging markets, such as China, have historically been lower than those registered in more developed markets. Verisign will continue to evaluate these and potentially other factors and expects to have additional information related to the domain name base on Verisign’s fourth quarter and full year 2015 earnings call.

Read full article
http://domainnamewire.com/2015/11/23/verisign-issues-statement-on-chinese-market-for-domain-names/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
an interesting comment from Joseph Peterson on the article:

"Stock market investors are affected by the actions of domain investors."

•••
an interesting comment from Joseph Peterson on the article:

"Stock market investors are affected by the actions of domain investors."
I would like to understand how a marginal Chinese investment of less than 100 millions dollars can affect the trillions invested in Chinese stocks.

These are not at all the same order of magnitude. Not even comparable IMHO

•••
I would like to understand how a marginal Chinese investment of less than 100 millions dollars can affect the trillions invested in Chinese stocks.

These are not at all the same order of magnitude. Not even comparable IMHO

I understood his comment to mean Verisign stock (and therefore stock market investors) is affected by the actions of domain investors.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=VRSN

Last edited:
•••
•••
This explains the predicted boom in 5n .info premiums by China over the last 24 hours. Renewals are significantly cheaper. Yes, I've been hyping 5n .info premiums pretty good lately, so believe what you want.

Good article none the less.

•••
What and where are .info renewals cheaper than .com renewals?

•••
.info has been historically one of the cheapest. They're currently $3.17 to reg at Godaddy, so I'm sure that would be factored into the renewal or 2 year price, when renewing. So regardless of the renewal price come that time, they would most likely factor the original reg fee of $3.17. I know I will.

•••
Verisign cannot predict if or how long this increased pace of gross additions will continue and we cannot at this time predict what the renewal rate for these domain names will be. Verisign has noted in the past that renewal rates for domain names registered in emerging markets, such as China, have historically been lower than those registered in more developed markets. Verisign will continue to evaluate these and potentially other factors and expects to have additional information related to the domain name base on Verisign’s fourth quarter and full year 2015 earnings call.
So verisign could raise the renewal rates of .com and .net in 2016.?

•••
Asians love to gamble. All public reporting companies that are seeing a benefit from the higher selling prices of expired .com's would need to include a warning disclaimer. That is standard practice to prevent investor lawsuits. It can be regarded with same weight as the other warnings like acts outside of our control that may cause the business to go bankrupt. It doesn't mean they believe that it will happen. It just provides a layer of legal protection should it happen.

•••
•••
Godaddy are charging $10.94 Usd for a .info renewal .... (converted from $15.24 aussie dollars)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back