Dynadot

VeriSign to raise registry fees for .com and .net domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Here's the article:

SAN FRANCISCO, Mar. 27, 2008 (Thomson Financial delivered by Newstex) -- VeriSign (NASDAQ:VRSN) Inc. late Thursday said it plans to increase the registry fees for .com and .net domain names, effective Oct. 1.

The Mountain View, Calif.-based company said the registry fee for .com domain names will increase to $6.86 from $6.42 while the registry fee for .net domain names will rise to $4.23 from $3.85.

The rate changes are in accordance with the company's agreement with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, or ICANN, VeriSign said.

The company also said it processes a peak of more than 33 billion domain name system, or DNS, queries per day under normal traffic conditions.

VeriSign said it plans to increase its daily DNS query capacity to more than 4 trillion queries a day from 400 billion, and will increase the aggregate network bandwidth of its primary resolution centers around the world from
more than 20 gigabits per second to greater than 200 Gbps per second.

The company's stock closed the regular session down 72 cents, or about 2.1%, at $33.91.

Katherine Hunt
Copyright Thomson Financial News Limited 2007. All rights reserved.

The copying, republication or redistribution of Thomson Financial News Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Thomson Financial News.

Source:CNNMoney

Best wishes,
Kimmy

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The agreement with ICANN is 7% per year for 5 years.

•••
•••
Yeah we can expect to be paying $12 fees

Expected 7% annual increases over the next 5 years. And don't think it will stop after 5 years either.

2008 $6.42 -> $6.82
2009 $6.82 -> $7.30
2010 $7.30 -> $7.81
2011 $7.81 -> $8.36

So in a few years expect many registrars to want $10-$12 per registration. If you really want to save money...register now for 10 years on domains you value.

•••
Guess I'm gonna renew my good domains now. This sucks.

•••
I'm an optimist. I think that in the long term .com will get cheaper.

•••
not good... they just raised the fee few months ago..

•••
Sorry for hijacking, but is it possible to renew a domain for more than 10 years? Like get pay for 50 years in advance or something?

•••
VURG said:

Only if inflation rises at a higher rate actually.

•••
shockie said:
Sorry for hijacking, but is it possible to renew a domain for more than 10 years? Like get pay for 50 years in advance or something?
Technically you can register a .com domain name up to 10 years and renew an
existing one up to 9 years. Registrars like Network Solutions, though, came up
with a solution wherein they'll keep renewing the domain name yearly or so 'til
it reaches its 20-year or 100-year limit.

•••
Dave Zan said:
oh i see... thanks.

•••
Dave Zan said:
shockie said:

Although this may be true, a domain can only be registered for up to a total of 10 years. So what NetSol really does here is they register your domain for 10 years. Then, every new year, they extend your registration by 1 year for you until 100 years are up. So what this means is that every time they extend your registration, you will be paying whatever the new registration rate for that year is. NetSol already states in their TOS I believe that the price may vary on a 100 year registation depending upon what the registry charges, etc. However, because their price for registrations are rather hefty, you probably wont see any changes in price unless verisign is allowed to raise their prices sky high for some reason. Maybe long term there will be some kind of effect here where the price would change. I am sure 100 years from now, the domain prices will be much higher due to supply and demand or possibly lower. Only time can tell.

•••
VURG said:
Possibly when the registry is taken away from verisign :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back