Domain Empire

Verisign Says New .Com Contract Has Been Approved

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Verisign announced today that their new contract agreement with ICANN to run the .com registry has been approved by the U.S. Department of Commerce: http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=189608

This contract, like the current proposed .org, .info and .biz contracts, was heavily opposed by domain registrants who will end up paying higher registration fees.

Phil Corwin, legal counsel for the Internet Commerce Association said "The domain name owners represented by the ICA are deeply disappointed that the Department of Commerce chose to approve a fundamentally flawed agreement that permits VeriSign to charge above market rate prices for .Com registrations and renewals over the next six years. However, we are gratified that the Department gave some deference to the broad opposition of the Internet community and obtained some concessions regarding pricing and renewal. We shall be carefully monitoring VeriSign's actions and the effectiveness of the Department's oversight under the new contract."

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The forces of supply and demand will come into play. Raising prices will reduce demand (registrations).

•••
It may be time to pay 10 years of reg fee for the good domains.

•••
Are there any estimates of what the price increase will be and when price increases will be instated?

•••
Such BS this is. ICANN needs to keep the internet preserved.

•••
There are alternatives, and as fonzie said, the market will be determined by those actually purchasing the names. This may very well turn out to be a pivotal point for both the .com extension and all the rest of the extensions out there. From what I understand, the price increase won't be too much initially, at least but I would like to be sure.

•••
Last edited:
•••
I have doubts about the power of the market here.
ICANN (+Verisign) is a monopoly and we will have to pay whatever price to keep our domains.
I am not prepared to boycott ICANN and Verisign by dumping all my domains.
Let's face it.
IMO the only way out is a class action lawsuit on antitrust grounds.

•••
sdsinc said:

That sounds as the most reasonable course of action I have heard so far.

•••
sdsinc said:

I agree 100%

•••
Verisign will have to pay for this. When major regstrars are offering domains below $10, why will the majority of population will by domain for $30 from verisign??

soon, the demand for verisign will fall due to increase in price.

•••
IMHO, this could be a good thing, It will reduce the number of registrations enough to stop this stupidity with not being able to get a single decent domain on a .com

Personally, I say thumbs up to the person who put this through!

•••
Verisign never has and never will be a good company. Class action sounds good to me.

•••
rmwebs said:
IMHO, this could be a good thing, It will reduce the number of registrations enough to stop this stupidity with not being able to get a single decent domain on a .com
Personally, I say thumbs up to the person who put this through!

I think you lost me

You are speaking from a simple user's point of view or DNOA founding member?

Because from what i understand the domain sales will be decreased with more .com options available to the public. Less sales for DNOA members is good ?

The extra charge will pass to registrar's and they will pass it to users
You will have to pay more too for the resellerclub.com super site ( wsdreg.com ) you're using in your sig too

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back