Dynadot

.us Value of LLL.us

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
ok have a look at the graph chart of LLL prices over the last few years here

http://3character.com/3-letter-domain-name-sales-history.html

shows LLL.nets miniumum wholesale value at $100 in jan 2004, one year on they were worth $200+ and now nearly 3 years on they are worth $700 minimum

so LLL.us sitting at $100 minimum at present, what do you think the next year will bring?

also bear in mind it took LLL.net's a year to double from $50 to $100 and LLL.us made that jump in 3 months

im very much awaiting 3characters monthly price update!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Why?

I think everybody with half a brain recognizes that cop.us is worth more than $179. I think the problem for such sellers is that the buyers either cannot find where the domain is up for sale, or they just don't have the time to look for them anymore. They are just too busy trying to deal with more pressing economic issues in their lives.

I, for one, did not know about cop.us being up for sale. Had I known this, I would have made an effort to buy it for more than $179. Like others, I am just not investing as much time into finding premium domains anymore; and when I do miss out, quite frankly, it does not bother me too much.

When I look at good domains dropping or selling dirt cheap it reminds me of when I look at foreclosures. I think the same thing - deals, but either who cares or who has the money to buy them. If I miss out now, there will surely be other better ones popping up later on.

On a closing note, one should not always assume that the seller of a domain like cop.us is the ultimate wise domain developer or investor who needs to get a maximum return on the domain before selling it. The owner could just be somebody who bought a good domain awhile ago because that was the thing everyone else was doing to get rich quick. Maybe now the owner just needs to pay his rent or mortgage or feed the kids, so he sells off some of his possessions. History is repeating itself (1929), so get used to it.

•••
What a shame...

I'll take the unpopular position of playing devil's advocate here.

What can be done with COP.US?

How do you capitalize on that name?

If you Google COP, note that there are NO ads at either the top or the right side of the page.

If you do an acronym search, though you get over 100 results, nothing stands out.

My view is that short and sweet is nice but if the NAME is such that it doesn't lend itself to monetization, well then the $179 is a pretty good indicator of its worth.

•••
•••
What can be done with COP.COM ? ;)

Exactly. Stick it on a "for sale" page and try and make a few pennies per month in PPC revenue. Hopefully enough to cover the reg fee.

In other words, slim pickings for "COP".com, let alone one with a .us extension.

•••

Two days ago, I hand regged uqy.us.

I have never seen an available lll.us before.

Not great letters, but pronounceable.

You think the buyout is breaking?

?????

•••

Two days ago, I hand regged uqy.us.

I have never seen an available lll.us before.

Not great letters, but pronounceable.

You think the buyout is breaking?

?????

I let that drop, and there's many more coming.

•••

Good to know, Lasher.

;)

•••
•••
I'm letting them drop because I have (had) over 500 of them at one point and see very little interest or action in them.

It gets to be a drag financially renewing them year after year so I've let about 100 of the "lower quality letter" names drop so far.

Most were picked up in the backorder services which means someone paid at least $60 for each for them. That's disappointing because I tried to sell them here and someone offered me $5 each for them :) I said I'd rather let them drop than sell them at $5 which is exactly what I'm doing. I'll still have at least 200 LLL.us domains left when I'm done and many lll.us keywords.

When I started to invest in .US there were a number of catalysts that _could_ have given .US a nice boost. There was the Neustar development of the zip codes, the possible takeover of the extension by a company better able to market it (GD tried and failed), some companies were starting to advertise a .us domain (remember sony.us anyone?). None of these panned out and with all the new extensions coming along I just don't see anything that is suddenly going to make .US be widely adopted.

First rule of investing in anything is (or should be) to know exactly why you're investing in it and if those reasons change, reconsider your position. That's all I'm doing.

Now unless Namepros has changed, this is the part where a bunch of people jump on board and tell me that I'm a "h8r" trying to promote something else, or I'm quietly trying to buy up .US on the cheap so am talking it down, or whatever other cognitive dissonance helps them justify their own money losing position, which is why I mostly stopped posting here years ago and never looked back :)

•••
Now unless Namepros has changed, this is the part where a bunch of people jump on board and tell me that I'm a "h8r" trying to promote something else, or I'm quietly trying to buy up .US on the cheap so am talking it down, or whatever other cognitive dissonance helps them justify their own money losing position

Not in this case--maybe even the most passionate .US defenders have given up. Shrug. You make some good points, and I've felt the same way for a while. But I still plan to keep a couple hundred of my most premium .US names. Ironically, the collapse in domainer enthusiasm for .US could end up helping the extension by making more good keywords available for registration.

For what it is worth, I just checked that all LLL.us are currently registered (excepting any that might have dropped this morning). The buyout is holding for now.

•••
Good, because I still own a couple of hundred .US names. I'd prefer to be wrong and see .US grow like crazy then regret those I dropped than I would be right and drop the rest slowly over the next few years...

•••
Not in this case--maybe even the most passionate .US defenders have given up. Shrug. You make some good points, and I've felt the same way for a while. But I still plan to keep a couple hundred of my most premium .US names. Ironically, the collapse in domainer enthusiasm for .US could end up helping the extension by making more good keywords available for registration.

For what it is worth, I just checked that all LLL.us are currently registered (excepting any that might have dropped this morning). The buyout is holding for now.

I sell .US keyword domains weekly.

I think the main issue is just that domainers overvalue LLL in every extension. COM/NET/ORG LLL have liquid value, after that only quality LLL carry any real value in most extensions.

There is a difference between a quality LLL.us and a garbage one.

Brad

•••
I have 137 LLL.us left. I bought a bunch in 2006 and slowly sold some of them off, but don't have time to continue looking for buyers. If someone wants them all (don't have time to do 1 at a time) for a little less than reg fee let me know...most are medium/bad letters but at least one fairly good one LMK...going to post in the for sale section with a list

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back