Dynadot

domain Value of kubu.com

NameSilo
Watch

wdog

Impact
I bought a domain named kubu.com about 3 years ago for $10,000. It was for an electronics product that we are no longer going to sell. I have just been offered 10,000 for it without putting it in an auction or anything. I think it's value is not high for a small web or ecommerce business since it's not something someone would search for but for a startup looking for a unique company or product name I think it could be quite valuable. What do you think? I hate to part with it but I have no use for it now. I can afford to list it for sale and wait for the ideal buyer but don't want to pass up 10,000 if I'm not likely to do better.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
submit it to Brandbucket at least to get a genuine valuation. After that decide if you think Brandbucket is the best place to sell it or go elsewhere. At the very least you walk away with a valuation.

In my opinion Brandbucket will probably value it around $12-$15K.

Haha Justin - I can't tell if you're serious, or just trolling.

$12k to $15k minus [30%, $100-$500 logo, and $10 listing fee] = $7,890 to $10,390

Considering bb features worse CVCV.com at higher valuations, I have to disagree with your proposed bb valuation.

Last edited:
•••
First of all to reterate:
- I'm in no hurry to sell the domain. Only hurry would be if the $10K USD offer is a good one and if it would be hard to improve on in the next year or two then I'd sell it.
- The 10K is in USD and is AFTER negotiating up. This is as high as the buyer will go and I have to tell him by Friday as he wants to buy a different domain if he can't get mine (i.e. can't get kubu.com)
- I had SEDO do an appraisal for $99 which is probably a rip off but I just wanted to see what they would come up with. They came up with a lot of explanation and a 7K valuation. Largely based on these domain sales they referenced I imagine:

kubo.com $9500 Sold in 2013
hebu.com $5318 Sold in 2016
kuso.com $3700 Sold in 2010
kuza.com $6300 Sold in 2011
jaku.com $4900 Sold in 2013
ebbu.com $5000 Sold in 2013

- I also tried EstiBot.com which valued it at: $5500
- Also Valuate.com which valued it at $5500

I asked Andrew Rosener at MediaOptions.com. He is a broker that was recommended to me in this thread. He thinks he could sell it for 10K - 25K and he takes a 15% commission. When I asked him what he thought the chances were that I would not get 10K out of it after his commission was subtracted he said negligible chance that would happen and that he would probably get quite a bit more than that for it.

Since I had received a number of Asian people interested in it over the years, I inquired with guta.com which was recommended as an Asian broker in this thread. Rachel Guta replied and said they don't really estimate what they can sell sites for so could give me no guess. She said they charge a 12% fee and require an exclusive listing for 6 months.

So, based on several people here saying they trust Andrew (although I wish his commission was a bit lower) I'm prone to pass up this offer and think about it a while and then list it with him when I"m ready or maybe post on my own somewhere for 25k and see if I get it or close to it on my own before using a broker.

The valuation from Sedo and past sales are a bit scary as far as passing up the 10K but then again if I go looking right now for something brandable that sounds good, everything looks very expensive. So the sales don't line up with what is out there for sale now from what I can tell, which is very strange. Yes, it could be that people sell things for 1/2 or 1/3 of what they list them for but I think that if I had to buy a domain as good as kubu.com right now I could not sniff one for anything close to 10K.

Thoughts? Make sense to pass up the 10k even given the sedo and automated appraisals?

Last edited:
•••
Totally. I agree with you. Big investments and divestments are not to be rushed. If you want to sell, sell on your terms.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back