Dynadot

domain Value of kubu.com

NameSilo
Watch

wdog

Impact
I bought a domain named kubu.com about 3 years ago for $10,000. It was for an electronics product that we are no longer going to sell. I have just been offered 10,000 for it without putting it in an auction or anything. I think it's value is not high for a small web or ecommerce business since it's not something someone would search for but for a startup looking for a unique company or product name I think it could be quite valuable. What do you think? I hate to part with it but I have no use for it now. I can afford to list it for sale and wait for the ideal buyer but don't want to pass up 10,000 if I'm not likely to do better.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Kubu is indonesian means Stronghold
Kubu has 13,900,000 search results.

and then there is this.
www.kubu.hu/
KUBU 96.5 FM - Access Sacramento
www.villakubu.com
kubulodge.net/
www.kubuisland.com
www.kubuindahresort.com/
www.kubusafarilodge.com
Kubu Rattan Woven Headboard | Pier 1 Imports
www.pier1.com › Furniture › Bedroom › HeadboardsPier 1 Imports
$149.99 to $249.99
Kubu Rattan Woven Headboard. Kubu Rattan Twin Headboard. Kubu Rattan Full Headboard. KubuRattan Queen Headboard. Kubu Rattan King Headboard ...
www.kubuqueen.com
Kubu Cempaka Seminyak (Bali) - 2016 Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor
www.tripadvisor.com › ... › Bali › Seminyak › Seminyak B&Bs / InnsTripAdvisor
Rating: 4.5 - ‎150 reviews - ‎Price range: $28 - $81 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Book Kubu Cempaka Seminyak, Bali on TripAdvisor: See 121 traveler reviews, 128 candid photos, and great deals for Kubu Cempaka Seminyak, ranked #3 of ...
Kubu Consulting - South Africa and Australia
www.kubu.net/
KUBU has a unique combination of world-acknowledged experts: Dr Stephen Emery and Dr Emile Horak, complimenting each other, to provide a holistic ...
Kubu Cempaka Seminyak Hotel: Hotels in Seminyak Kuta Bali
www.kubucempakaseminyak.com/
Hotel Kubu Cempaka Seminyak is a smart property located in the lifestyle district of Seminyak that is an easy 15 minute walk from one of Balis best stretches of ...
Kubu Cabins
www.kubucabins.com/
The Place to Be. Kubu Cabins, about 20 minutes drive from Livingstone. Quite simply Kubu Cabins is the adventure of a lifetime, accommodation beyond your ...
http://www.kubuwiravillas.com/

DO NOT DO NOT SELL THIS DOMAIN FOR LESS THAN $250,000.

BEST OF LUCK!

I am most excited about these for you:

http://www.kubucempakaseminyak.com/
http://www.kubuwiravillas.com/
http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/series/KUB/kubu

https://www.villakubu.com/

http://www.balidiving.com/bali-diving-sites/tulamben/kubu/
I like your way of thing positive

•••
just to recap. my quote of $250K was never the "Target price" but as a "Starting Point" from which it can be negotiated down to whatever the potential buyer might want to pay for it. why not set the price at "skies the limit" I mean it is justifiable for this particular domain.

looking at all the sites using this keyword in it. if you do a background check on them and maybe find a big name competitor to their site like Expedia or TripAdvisor or yelp or any other vacation rental or lodging website that is "big time" and are always in the market for good domains and have an inventory of domains pointed to their main site. Plus have DEEP DEEP POCKETS. how hard would it be to convince such sites of the value of your domain?

Tell them this.

Kubu.com buy for $250K and I'll throw in a "feel good story about how a $10,000 investment in a domain for a business that did not take off sold for $250,000 to expedia or tripadvisor or VacationRentals."

Tell them to justify the price it's because such a sale would go VIRAL and naturally get picked up by news media. ie. increasing natural backlinks to Kubu.com. Thereby, increasing the $250K value overnight almost instantaneously.

All robot Domain value analysers will see all the backlinks from high traffic websites and in return will raise the rank and by default the value of Kubu.com

So it's like paying $250K for Advertising and getting the Domain Kubu.com for free. and in thee end they can (if they want) sell Kubu.com at a profit after a year or so or keep it and repeat the benefits of having a high ranked keyword domain pointing at their main website.

Win Win? I think so. but of course I can be wrong. what do I know? I'm just a newbie. lol

•••
For 250k you can buy a nice four letter word

I wouldn't sell for 10k but anything over 50k is a dream

•••
Might be a good idea to rather contact a Flippa Broker or Chinese Broker (Guta.com) and see what they say and what sort of offers they could get you.

•••
I am not sure the "domain sold for $x" traffic would buy travel services, but some of it might. Not sure how much, but would that bump in traffic be worth 250K? It is not the same as a national tv ad.

•••
Ok seems like you want out let the buyers know what you paid for the domain and Are Willing To Show Them Documentation With That Tell Them That You Are Setting Up An escrow.com Link That Will Be Offered At 40% Higher Than You Paid Tell Them You Will Keep The Domain invoice Active Till The End Of sept. For anyone to grab but as a courtesy you will not promote it till after Sept and if they choose not to before that please let you know. Make them pay for escrow too so you net 14k and I'm sure you have renewal fees and other fees to offset the 4k profit. BUT I DON'T SEE SeNCE OF URGENCY LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE A DOMAIN THAT'S WORTH 25 GRAND. personally I think you should shoot an email to Andrew rosner and see if you can get a deal similar to what I suggested in my first post .I think he's perfect for this domain,he may even buy it himself

Thanks, I did not know who Andrew Rosner was but googled him and found his domain name company. They had a way to send them mail on their site so I asked them what they thought they could sell it for if they acted as the broker. I like the idea of someone who get more money the more they sell it for and knows how to do this. I see these domains out there selling for way, way more than I have been offered for this and so I just feel like it is worth a lot more but finding the right buyer is the trick. Hopefully this brokerage can do what you suggest. I don't care if they take a good sized cut if they really are good at finding a great buyer. Thanks for the tip.

•••
Kubu is a CVCV domain - Consonant / Vowel / Consonant / Vowel

Below is the last 10 C / u / C / u sales recorded on NameBio:

Show attachment 38848

Best of luck with the domain. My advice is to listen to other pros. See what they have to say, and evaluate everything you've heard. If you are in a position to hold out for more, I suggest you counter for more than what you paid for. CVCV domain are in short supply, especially with quality consonants such as 'k' and 'b'. Other factors to consider is the amount of offers you've received, and traffic.

Thanks very much for explaining this to mv (CVCV) and pointing me to this site that shows sales. Very helpful as I'm new to all this.

•••
Thanks very much for explaining this to mv (CVCV) and pointing me to this site that shows sales. Very helpful as I'm new to all this.

Happy to help... and WELCOME to the community btw! There's so much to learn in this industry, and in my experience NamePros is a great hub. Sure, you might get presented with lots of contradicting info, but that's part of the fun in it since this business is both an art and a science.

Can you share why you were willing to pay $10,000 for the domain 3 years ago? Like, why Kubu? Was it presented to you, or did you see another use for it? Whatever the reason, given today's value of CVCV domains, I commend you on your branding foresight.

With a great domain comes lots of possibilities. Mainly dependent on your needs, and approach. See below options:

(1) Spend a few dollars testing the waters by aggressively marketing the domain on industry related sites. You may find another investor with a client looking for a friendly CVCV that has a budget exceeding your current $10k offer.

(1.a) Feature your domain on NameBio.com > namebio.com/featured-listings
upload_2016-9-10_15-51-29.png

(1.b) Auction it on NameJet
upload_2016-9-10_16-5-7.png

(1.c) Auction it on Flippa.com.
upload_2016-9-10_16-3-45.png

(2) List it on a marketplace:

(2.a) AfterNic

upload_2016-9-10_16-11-13.png

(2.b) Sedo
upload_2016-9-10_16-11-54.png

(2.c) Niche Brandable Marketplace
(2.c.1) BrandBucket.com is the largest brandable marketplace, though, they require exclusivity, and a 30% cut, they have shown lots of success in finding brandable domain buyers. See DNBolt.com for recent sales.

(2.c.2) Namerific.com doesn't require exclusivity, and has been known to discount their 30% success rate for premium domains. They don't have as many sales as the above mentioned options, though being nonexclusive, you can list there, and other nonexclusive venues simultaneously.

(3) Hire a broker. They will formulate a marketing plan, and use their inside connections to market the domain. Typically, brokers require some sort of exclusivity. Good brokers put a lot of work into their craft, and depending on the agreement, use their own funds presale to market the domain.

Best of luck @wdog - looking forward to watching the sale unfold!

Last edited:
•••
For 250k you can buy a nice four letter word

I wouldn't sell for 10k but anything over 50k is a dream

All DOMAINERS ARE DREAMERS in some shape or form.

It's like the difference between someone who is addicted to

Coffee
Jolt Cola
Ambien
Codiene
weed
Crack
heroine
Cocaine
etc etc etc.

At thee end the day there's no difference between a coffee addict or cocaine addict. the operative word here is ADDICT.

we as DOMAINERS by default are DREAMERS.

name any other business where you can "create" something in the comfort of your own home worth $1-$10 with the HOPE and DREAM to sell it for 100% to 100,000% profit?

even at a realistic 100% profit expectancy. that's still a "dream" I mean hey no financial planner can even guarantee you 5-7% ROI on your investments.

and WE ALL go into this domaining to SUCCEED in getting nothing less than 100% ROI yes? or more?

That my "friend" is the DEFINITION of a DREAMER. So what are you all on about?

can anyone tell me exactly what the HARM is to set a "starting price" at $250k? if they really want it. they will send a counter offer.

or maybe not? I'm sure someone here will say that a $250k sticker price will definitely Scare a potential buyer away.

or will it?

I mean hey MALI.com is on Mike Mann's website for $1,499,888

and

Xtac.com $1,999,888

and

Lure.com $349,888

and Obey.com $1,999,888

Okay okay. not all of these domains will ever sell at these prices but it is a TACTIC use by many industry professionals.

anyone care to chime in? feel free

•••
KUBU.com is a nice CVCV. I own one in a similar format.

$10K is not a spectacular offer, but is basically in line with reasonable market value at the moment for a CVCV of this quality.

An end user might be willing to pay anything, but it helps to base decisions on probabilities.
Is someone likely to pay $1M like DUDU.com, or $250K, or $100K? Not likely.

I think around $25K is the top end, unless you find the right buyer with the right budget.

Best of luck.

Brad

•••
You should also tell everyone you have a live trademark on KUBU and that it's in the very popular electronic device communication field.

You have a ready made moblie/software/communication brand with the strength of a tm behind it. COOL.

•••
You should also tell everyone you have a live trademark on KUBU and that it's in the very popular electronic device communication field.

You have a ready made moblie/software/communication brand with the strength of a tm behind it. COOL.

THERE YOU GO!! $250K! lol

•••
•••

With trademark and the site, the overall realistic value should increase.

I would say: $20K/$35 (+/-) = realistic.
$35/50 (+/+) = potential realistic.

•••
To clarify a couple things. Yes, I do have a trademark on the name in the electronics device and software market. You can see the device on my website that is still up. I did not trademark the domain itself but yes, I guess I should mention that it is ready made if someone wants to use it for an electronics device or software. One nice thing about brandable , not in the dictionary type names, is that you can trademark the name and not just the logo. To answer the question about how I came to purchase the domain, it was when my business partner for the electronics product just came up with "kubu" out of thin air somehow. I happened to find that the current owner of the domain was not using it and said he had paid around 10K a few years ago and I tried to negotiate down but that was as low as I could get him. I was pondering whether to just get a cheap domain for what we were doing (e.g. kubulabs.com or kubutech.com or whatever) but then for fun I just started looking at other .com domains for sale and saw that anything that sounded worth a damn to me was selling for 25K or more. I then scrambled and bought kubu.com because it felt so much cheaper than the any other .com that was even close to as good sounding. Now, when I look at .com domains for sale I see the same thing. I can find cvcv .coms that are around 10k or 15k or sold for around that much but they just don't sound nearly as good for a brand as kubu does. Heck I see domains all the way up to 100k or more with cvcv names that mean nothing to me and don't have a good ring to them. I've asked others if I'm crazy and they say no, they agree that kubu sounds better than almost all of them. Maybe some of them might be better based on search results or something but from a branding perspective many much more expensive domains just have zero appeal to me. So, the same thing that caused me to buy kubu to begin with is the same thing that is making me think it could be sold for much more than 10K and it is just how to go about finding the right buyer. I guess I'll take the tip also about the trademark on kubu for electronics devices/software. And, as I said further up, I did take the advice of contacting a broker and will see what they say. I think maybe I will contact a few brokers including the Chinese one that was mentioned above and see what they say. Will post what I find out. Thanks for all the information and thoughts. I really appreciate it. I have to admit it is really hard to part with this domain name. I have an emotional attachment to "kubu" after getting the trademark, putting a lot of time into the lettering, color, etc we used for the name on the product, etc Really loved the domain/brand name especially when I look at what I would have to pay to find a .com I liked even close to as much. I would just not bother making the .com match the brand exactly if I did this now and did not use kubu given the choices/prices of one word brand-able pronounceable .com domains out there for sale. To me the real value of a catchy .com is if it is actually the name of a web service like google, twitter, etc. You don't really need it for a product because you can always add a second word to the domain name and I don't think it is a big deal unless you are a really big company. At least that is how it seems to me. In any event though, I'd be interested to see if any of you see any one word brand-able (i.e. not in dictionary) names out there for sale that you see that you think sound as good for a product/brand as kubu does and what is the cheapest one that you like that much. I just don't see them for anywhere near 10k but maybe I'm missing something or don't know how to search or where to look.

Last edited:
•••
Because of inflation, 10K in the bank will just loose buying power, so it is safer in owning the domain.
That would probably be the worst type of investment decision made with $10K. I was thinking more in lines (as an example) of buying a new company car, that perhaps, would double your revenue per delivery and in time, make much more money.

There are other, better, business investments that can be made. I based my initial "money makes money" comment on him possibly (from what was written) being a business owner outside of the domain industry and what that $10K could do for him now to help ensure continual growth elsewhere.

•••
That would probably be the worst type of investment decision made with $10K. I was thinking more in lines (as an example) of buying a new company car, that perhaps, would double your revenue per delivery and in time, make much more money.

There are other, better, business investments that can be made. I based my initial "money makes money" comment on him possibly (from what was written) being a business owner outside of the domain industry and what that $10K could do for him now to help ensure continual growth elsewhere.
I understand that. My comment was based on his comment that it was going into his bank account. Just sitting there, it would not do anything to counter the inflation, and would actually cost, as far as buying power, so unless he gets more than 10K, that would not be a wise choice. In other words, hold out for more, if you just want money sitting there.

To add a little more information. If I sold the site now for the 10K I have been offered, I would just put the money in the bank.

Last edited:
•••
I understand that. My comment was based on his comment that it was going into his bank account. Just sitting there, it would not do anything to counter the inflation, and would actually cost, as far as buying power, so unless he gets more than 10K, that would not be a wise choice. In other words, hold out for more, if you just want money sitting there.

It would only be a wise choice if 10K was an amount that I would not be able to get later. If I ended up needing to sell for 7k after trying to get more than 10K for a year or two or whatever then putting the 10K in the bank now would have been a wise choice. However, it seems like most people that have responded think it is pretty unlikely that I would not be able to get 10K in the future and there is a good possibility I could get a lot more. So, that is what I'm leaning strongly toward doing at the moment. I bought until this friday before answering the current potential buyer (who buy the way started much lower and 10K was as high as I could get him it appears) so I'll see what some brokers say too this week.

Last edited:
•••
Sounds good. Looks like you are doing what is needed to maximize your investment. :)

•••
Some things to consider:
  1. This is a good name, but it is not a recognized word in the west. Don't expect XXX,XXX.
  2. If you look at the last 10 CVCV.com sales, 7 were for amounts < 10K. Only 3 were for XX,XXX prices.
  3. It is unlikely someone is going to buy your name and trademark together, if there is no business attached with it. You're going to JUST sell the name.
  4. Your name is one of the "cooler" brandable/non-dictionary LLLL's. You can get a higher price than most in same category.
Personally, I think it could be a 20-30K+ name, if you list it all over and are very patient.
How patient are you, though?

•••
I bought a domain named kubu.com about 3 years ago for $10,000. It was for an electronics product that we are no longer going to sell. I have just been offered 10,000 for it without putting it in an auction or anything. I think it's value is not high for a small web or ecommerce business since it's not something someone would search for but for a startup looking for a unique company or product name I think it could be quite valuable. What do you think? I hate to part with it but I have no use for it now. I can afford to list it for sale and wait for the ideal buyer but don't want to pass up 10,000 if I'm not likely to do better.
submit it to Brandbucket at least to get a genuine valuation. After that decide if you think Brandbucket is the best place to sell it or go elsewhere. At the very least you walk away with a valuation.

In my opinion Brandbucket will probably value it around $12-$15K.

•••
Just wait for couple of years...this domain is worth mid- XX,XXX for sure.

•••
Scores 764 on EvoSix.com - this is a great domain.

4 character domain.
Domain is 19 years old.
Pronounceable short domain.

•••
The $10K offer is decent, you may negotiate for more.
IMHO cash is good for business. If this domain doesn't bring any income today, you're losing money daily.

I have many four letter domains, which I sold for $500-$1500. If I get an offer of $10K for my remaining domains consider it sold.

•••
This one was also from someone asian since there were chinese (or some asian language) letters in the offer and google translated for me.

Did they include a dollar sign in their offer? I find that Chinese inquiries often come in without specifying currency and I've found that when the $ is left out they are offering the amount in their local currency.

If they opened with $10,000 USD, I wouldn't accept the offer without countering and I'd lean to the higher side and see what they come back with.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back