Use .net or .com for e-mail

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Alice Wonder Miscreations

Established Member
Impact
Inspired by this thread :

https://www.namepros.com/threads/new-top-registry-spam.855319/

I operate a few e-mail servers. While it is true that spam comes from just about any TLD, an increasingly large portion of it is using the new gTLDs, especially the cheap ones.

Using those gTLDs for the web presence is fine, but as a mail server admin I really advice you to stick with .com and .net for the domain you actually e-mail from.

I see .science or .ninja or .work in the from address or the rDNS for the MTA sending it to my mail server, and I immediate think spam and almost always am correct.

And if you run your own mail server, a couple things you can do to avoid getting your legitimate e-mail accidentally flagged as spam:

A) Stick with a stable SMTP server. Don't move your mail server around. It is easier for a business to white-list you if your mail server IP address stays the same over a long period of time. A lot of us white-list by IP address of the sending server because e-mail headers are easy to forge, but the IP address your mail server connects from is hard to forge as SMTP uses TCP.

B) Try to get yourself listed at https://www.dnswl.org/

A lot of us use their white list, if you are on it your message won't get flagged as spam.

That is important because snowshoe spammers, they'll use like 70 different IP addresses in the same /24 so we end up blocking the entire /24 which blocks you if you are unlucky enough to be on the same /24 as someone spamming.

But if your individual IP is whitelisted at dnswl.org then mail from your specific server will be accepted and the blacklists not even consulted.

Unfortunately blacklists are necessary, with the prevalence of spam, we have to use them to cut down on the processing power required to scan every message and virus check every message. So we just flat out reject mail from the blacklists.

But the blacklists aren't perfect, so try to get yourself on the whitelist.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's a problem if its going to be on a shared hosting. I believe using a mail manager would solve this problem. Any idea about it?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back