IT.COM

USA to Cede ICANN Exclusivity

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Kind of surprised that this isn't being talked about much around here. Any thoughts?

Frank

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Kind of surprised that this isn't being talked about much around here. Any thoughts?
Frank
Although changes can be a little scary, I'm kind of in favor of global oversight.

•••
Although changes can be a little scary, I'm kind of in favor of global oversight.

β€œWe don’t want to break the Internet,” said Laura DeNardis, a professor at American University and the author of β€œThe Global War for Internet Governance,” a recent book on the subject.

Remember when they broke up Ma Bell?

Peace,
Cy

•••
I personally don't think that the US giving up there controlling interest in ICANN, will benefit the broader internet community. It'll all end up in an awful lot of bickering, with nothing getting achieved (my basic viewpoint of the UN). There won't be any innovation. It will all get squashed with all the infighting. For me, it's a BAD move.

•••
It's hard to really sort it out. On the one hand, it's at least on the surface of things a good idea for a global medium of communication to not be entirely under the control of a single country (any country.) On the other hand, there are certain levels of freedom of speech and commerce that are largely taken for granted by internet users, which might not fare so well once exposed to rule-by-committee.

Frank

•••
I see more censorship and more trouble for domainers coming with this new oversight.

•••
I see more censorship and more trouble for domainers coming with this new oversight.

Right now, ICANN, with all its inherent flaws, still allows domainers to earn.
Things could change.

(nobody got the Ma Bell reference...lol)
After the breakup, the system was a mess for years.

Peace,
Cy

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Right now, ICANN, with all its inherent flaws, still allows domainers to earn.
Things could change.

(nobody got the Ma Bell reference...lol)
After the breakup, the system was a mess for years.

Peace,
Cy

I got it :) But then I'm at least as old as you :(

•••
If you read the follow-up from Mr. Strickling to all the resultant wailing and trembling after the initial "announcement", the US govt has no plans of "giving up" internet control (or call it what you will).

•••
If you read the follow-up from Mr. Strickling to all the resultant wailing and trembling after the initial "announcement", the US govt has no plans of "giving up" internet control (or call it what you will).

Link?

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Translation: We will give up power.
Oh come on. With all that the US Govt has vested in the interwebs not to mention the national security issues of such an incredible(ly stupid) move, do you honestly believe they would do such a thing?

•••
Oh come on. With all that the US Govt has vested in the interwebs not to mention the national security issues of such an incredible(ly stupid) move, do you honestly believe they would do such a thing?

Yes!
They can be just that stupid.

•••
I want ICANN to become attached to the United Nations- International Court Of Justice and get rid of the WIPO of pot-stoned monkeys doing the UDRPs. What a crazy bunch of lunatics.

•••
I want to be a millionaire....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back