Dynadot

.us .US -- Finally a Major Corporation Gets It

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Finally a major corporation appears to be using a .us domain to promote itself as being a proud business in America.
Taken from a foxnews.com website banner ad:

http://ec.atdmt.com/b/I2IWCHYUNHYU/Corporate_Plan_MLT_Rick_300x250.jpg

Their website reinforces it:
www.hyundaiamerica.us
Nice find. Good example of a foreign based corp adopting the local cctld.

One major .US consumer product company site on a .US domain that I've noticed active for years is - www.dove.us - and the .com redirects to the .us site.

Now that's the way .US domain holders like to see it done.

•••
It should be normal for US corporations/companies to use .us :) (I know it doesn't happen often...)

•••
Looks like a non american company just wants to seem more "american" and uses the .US. Well maybe this will start a trend with foreign companies who want to seem patriotic.

•••
Yes, it's interesting that some of the proud users of .us include foreign companies.
That must be because they are used to ccTLDs in the territories that they cover, so they have no bias against using .us.

•••
Golden Opportunity

Looks like a non american company just wants to seem more "american" and uses the .US. Well maybe this will start a trend with foreign companies who want to seem patriotic.

Foreign corporations that do business in the U.S. are overlooking a golden opportunity to stamp their products with a ****.us domain name.

Imagine any foreign product you find at the store stamped with a .us domain name on it. It would rival a "Made in America" stamp.

Sometimes you have to wonder if corporations are asleep at the wheel when it comes to outside the box marketing opportunities.

•••
well said @Sam,

the unpopularity and what makes it worthless is that the AMERICAN Companies don't give a c*ap about it. Everyone in the us goes for .com there for .us is .useless ...

If you look at other companies of other countries (england, germany, france, spain, holland, etc..) they always prefer their own ccTLD and use the .com version for international purpose (not just for english)..

Hell, even .com US Companies use other countries' ccTLDs, no one in germany uses google.com, they use google.de and other countries do the same... whereas usa uses google.com and not google.us .. .us won't be established as .de .co.uk .nl .fr etc... why? cause not even the gov cares about it, in europe or elsewhere the govs use .gov.cctld or directly the cctld. but in the us the directly use .gov .edu .mil etc..
every german govermental site uses .de ... universities use uni-"city".de etc.. the .US ccTLD would have become a major cctld if the gov would support it, there a few gov sites on us as far as i could see. states use them with their state codes, NY.us but nothing more. if the gov would have used .us as second level that would made a mayor influence on ppl seeing the .us cctld being used properl. mil.us gov.us edu.us etc... but well, .us will never bea big player..

•••
One major .US consumer product company site on a .US domain that I've noticed active for years is - www.dove.us - and the .com redirects to the .us site.

Now that's the way .US domain holders like to see it done.

Best example i know of with decent traffic to a .us .........maybe others will follow.

•••
Foreign corporations that do business in the U.S. are overlooking a golden opportunity to stamp their products with a ****.us domain name.

Imagine any foreign product you find at the store stamped with a .us domain name on it. It would rival a "Made in America" stamp.

Sometimes you have to wonder if corporations are asleep at the wheel when it comes to outside the box marketing opportunities.

Yes this may be a big op for those that also develop/manufacture american made products and want to reinforce this value. People are sick of supporting other economies while our own is on a nosedive.
Would be nice to see more commercials with the dot us! Need a little more patriotism and pride to go around.

•••
Yes, it's interesting that some of the proud users of .us include foreign companies.
That must be because they are used to ccTLDs in the territories that they cover, so they have no bias against using .us.

Yes, check out ada.us (you must type in the "www" for the site to resolve). This is a foreign company with a bonafide presence in the USA.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back