Dynadot

strategy Sold domain name to a large corporation, buyer was just an anonymous individual

NameSilo
Watch

xynames

XYNames.comTop Member
Impact
So I sold a domain name back in March 2017, to an individual who made an initial offer of $400., on Dynadot Marketplace. We closed the deal at mid four figures, a fair price, maybe even on the low side, for a five letter domain name of mine that consisted of a real word plus a single digit number. Buyer was in California.

Since the sale I have been monitoring the domain URL, wondering why it it is still resolving to my name servers, and nothing has happened with it.

Today I noticed that the domain name was finally not resolving, which meant that nameservers were in process of being changed. I googled the domain name, and Voila! there it was, a federal trademark registered shortly after my sale, for a new product from a major US corporation that is located in the same city and state as the individual buyer. Obviously the buyer works for the corporation, but didn't want to alert anyone to who wanted the domain name.

After the initial $400. offer, I wrote back immediately that this was a premium domain name and that $400. was not going to cut it. I eventually quoted a price, and he came up to about what I wanted, and we closed the deal with the escrow fees split.

Just goes to show - even big companies try to snatch domain names cheap. Everyone wants a bargain - even to the point of a big company trying to save a few bucks lol by splitting escrow fees. Luckily, I do my research and comparables and have a sense of what my domains are worth, which in my opinion anyway, is a lot.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
try to find out which corporation it was ?

•••
so lesson today is, learn your buyer! if they big, make them desperate! :xf.laugh:, so we can increase the price to XX,xxx or xxx,xxx! personally, if I got the domain from auction and spend $25! I don't mind to risk the deal! or renew up to 5-10 years! what if the deal failed and buyer find another domain! WHO CARES! :xf.laugh:

Last edited:
•••
try to find out which corporation it was ?

Are you talking to me? I already know exactly which corporation it was, did you read my post?

•••
even big companies try to snatch domain names cheap

So true...I've had a few nibbles for a name that came from 'individuals' but with a few mins of research I found they worked for the same company that surprisingly has a similar name to my domain...I mentioned that it was a small world and that maybe they knew each other! Waiting on their response...

Btw...congratulations on the sale!

•••
:-D Hell, if I the seller don't think my domains are worth a lot, the battle with the buyer is lost before it's begun.

Fiver letters plus a number isnt worth anything though. I don't believe any domain with a number in it, absent the chinese market, is worth anything. This domain was only worth something to that company.

I am speaking objectively.

So how are you valuing them? Looking at similar sales? Still doesnt help much

•••
If you play craps there are words plus single digits that mean something. Baccarat. Movie titles. Catch phrases. Brand names. Open your thinking and expand your mind, brother. Just by way of example. :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back