Dynadot

information Update: The Hand Reg Experiment – First Sale!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Update-The-Hand-Reg-Experiment-%E2%80%93-First-Sale.jpg

If you’ve ever looked through a dropped list, you know how daunting that task can actually be. There are MILLIONS of domain names that drop everyday.

There are a few strict rules I like to stick to when looking to hand reg a domain:

• .COM – I only stick to .com when it comes to this.
  • CPC – I like to see a healthy CPC. Shows we advertisers are willing to spend money on this term.
  • SV – Search volume is NOT incredibly important but I do like seeing some SV action!
+ MORE

Read more here

@Willox Perez

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Omar Negron what was the domain you sold and sales price?

•••
Domains and price please ???

•••
Complete info for the sold domain would be useful and appreciated...

•••
Nice article. I did something similar while Fasthosts had their promo running. It would have been a close to break even prospect with standard reg fee. I've had a decent number of inquiries on some of the names and I may make more sales before the 12 months is up.

Results after 6 months
Domains registered: 115
Total spend: Approx: $150
Sales: 3
$200 - outbound
$300 - outbound
$1500 - Inbound (- marketplace fees)
Parking Revenue: Approx. $75 2 domains make up the bulk of parking rev.
Renewals bill: $943

At a guess I'll probably be renewing 30% of the names as I bought a lot of crap that is unlikely to ever sell.

Net Revenue: $1875
Expenditure: $150
Estimated Renewals: $325
Net: $1400

Conclusion: On paper it looks profitable, but when i take time spent with research, outbound and managing the domains it's not a great ROI. As mentioned though still another 6 months to go and a few more sales could change this.

Last edited:
•••
what was the domain you sold and sales price?

Domains and price please ???

Complete info for the sold domain would be useful and appreciated...

I've thought about putting out the name of the domain but decided not to do it. I'm not sure if the buyer wants me to put that info out. I know it probably makes some people mad that I don't share than info, my bad.

But the point was to let others know, hand registering domains can be profitable.

What I will do is reveal the sale price which was very modest. The domain sold for $288. (actually, both sold for that price).

Nice article. I did something similar while Fasthosts had their promo running. It would have been a close to break even prospect with standard reg fee. I've had a decent number of inquiries on some of the names and I may make more sales before the 12 months is up.

Results after 6 months
Domains registered: 115
Total spend: Approx: $150
Sales: 3
$200 - outbound
$300 - outbound
$1500 - Inbound (- marketplace fees)
Parking Revenue: Approx. $75 2 domains make up the bulk of parking rev.
Renewals bill: $943

At a guess I'll probably be renewing 30% of the names as I bought a lot of crap that is unlikely to ever sell.

Net Revenue: $1875
Expenditure: $150
Estimated Renewals: $325
Net: $1400

Conclusion: On paper it looks profitable, but when i take time spent with research, outbound and managing the domains it's not a great ROI. As mentioned though still another 6 months to go and a few more sales could change this.

Thanks for sharing that info!

Yes, I know what you mean about the ROI. On paper it looks great but we also have to consider time invested into looking through the drop list etc.

But either way, the ROI is still solid. Would be great to have a few sales like this per week but that would entail having a VERY LARGE portfolio of domain names.

Thanks for checking out my post!

-Omar

•••
You wouldn't see any sales reported here or namebio or etc... if everybody is like
I'm not sure if the buyer wants me to put that info out

•••
It is supposed to be an experiment right? but what are the names ? don't worry about the buyers they didn't contact you directly did they? and the sales are closed by now.
You can mask the name like this >> d/o/m/a/i/n / c o m

•••
Congrats on sale, Glad you stressed regging a few names to start, many domainers post there 10,000 percent ROI on the sale of a name without including they regged 1k names to get that one sale. All I have ever done is hand reg names, I have kept my portfolio small so one or 2 sales a year pays all my reg fees to maintain a portfolio, then every other yearsometimes longer, get a good sale not a humungous one to keep me domaining.
Its kind like owning an antique shop,people post all the time about great sales of antiques but not all the costs involved in buying inventory and maintenance etc. I would just add most hand regged domains don't sell, at least in my case, others are much better at it than me,
Joe T

•••
You wouldn't see any sales reported here or namebio or etc... if everybody is like

Yeah, I get it. It's a decision I am making as of right now though. Possibly in the future, things can change.

It is supposed to be an experiment right? but what are the names ? don't worry about the buyers they didn't contact you directly did they? and the sales are closed by now.
You can mask the name like this >> d/o/m/a/i/n / c o m

Yeah, I understand your point. I'm probably still not going to reveal the names. I already said it was a .com and was sold for $288 a few months after hand regging it. I also stated how it was sold which was Godaddy MAKE OFFER/BUT IT NOW .

If the information I give isn't good enough, than my apologizes for that.

Congrats on sale, Glad you stressed regging a few names to start, many domainers post there 10,000 percent ROI on the sale of a name without including they regged 1k names to get that one sale. All I have ever done is hand reg names, I have kept my portfolio small so one or 2 sales a year pays all my reg fees to maintain a portfolio, then every other yearsometimes longer, get a good sale not a humungous one to keep me domaining.
Its kind like owning an antique shop,people post all the time about great sales of antiques but not all the costs involved in buying inventory and maintenance etc. I would just add most hand regged domains don't sell, at least in my case, others are much better at it than me,
Joe T

Yes!

I did not want to reg a ton of names. I kept it to about a dozen or so. Just seeing these 2 sales shows me that if you continue to buy GOOD quality hand regs that make business sense, you could possibly increase the number of sales.

What I am trying to do now is learn from the sales and see certain patterns. Continue to buy what matches what I previously sold and go from there.

I am not only sticking to hand regs though but it's cool to open myself up to this option now.

Thanks for sharing!

•••
This is why I prefer GoDaddy to register domains despite the higher prices. Many end users will search their platform to find a domain and it’s good when they find mine :xf.smile:. I’ll leave the domains there for at least 60 days and if not sold, then they can be listed with Afternic as a premium listing.

No guarantees of course, but I find it helps to try and cash in on the branding power of GoDaddy.

Congratulations on the sale Omar

•••
This is why I prefer GoDaddy to register domains despite the higher prices. Many end users will search their platform to find a domain and it’s good when they find mine :xf.smile:. I’ll leave the domains there for at least 60 days and if not sold, then they can be listed with Afternic as a premium listing.

No guarantees of course, but I find it helps to try and cash in on the branding power of GoDaddy.

Congratulations on the sale Omar

I couldn't agree more.

Godaddy is the only registrar I see that spends money on advertising thus promoting consumer awareness. I believe the only reason I made these sales was because they went to godaddy, typed in the domain in the search bar and saw it was for sale, then bought it. But if I had made the decision not to put it up in Godaddy, it's highly unlikely they would have sought me out otherwise.

It's always possible they could have looked me up through WHOIS or even went to the domain itself and contacting me through my landing page but I want to make the process
as EASY as possible for the buyer. Also, giving them the BUY IT NOW option for a sort of"impulse" purchase is always a good thing as well.

-Omar

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back