IT.COM

new gtlds Unsurprisingly, re-renewal rates on new gTLDs higher than original renewals

NameSilo
Watch

deez007

The More I Learn The Less I "Know"Top Member
Impact
Rightside’s first batch of new TLDs follow the expected pattern for re-renewals.

Rightside, which markets 40 top level domain names, this week published data on domain name renewals. The data aren’t particularly surprising.

The company has seven top level domain names that have been available for a full two-year cycle. During the first year, these top level domain names had a 69% renewal rate.

Of the 21,000 domains that were renewed at the first anniversary, 81% were renewed at the second anniversary.

Read Full Story Here:
http://domainnamewire.com/2016/10/1...ewal-rates-new-tlds-higher-original-renewals/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
New TLDs are total flop. They all will die sooner or later, because of less demand. And moreover, if the renewal charges are exorbitantly high, there will be fewer renewals only. It is advisable that we should get rid of new TLDs from our portfolios as soon as we can.

•••
New TLDs are total flop. They all will die sooner or later, because of less demand. And moreover, if the renewal charges are exorbitantly high, there will be fewer renewals only. It is advisable that we should get rid of new TLDs from our portfolios as soon as we can.

nTLD's have their place, not all of them....some of them are good. The ones with ridiculously high renewal prices will not survive. However the ones that dont have insane renewal fees and also make sense, like .online / .club / .io etc... I think will do well down the line.

•••
nTLD's have their place, not all of them....some of them are good. The ones with ridiculously high renewal prices will not survive. However the ones that dont have insane renewal fees and also make sense, like .online / .club / .io etc... I think will do well down the line.

.io is a ccTLD and the only one of these that are really selling on the aftermarket.

•••
•••
•••
It is advisable that we should get rid of new TLDs from our portfolios as soon as we can.
After looking at the category killers in your premium .mom portfolio, I have to say that's solid advise @Haroon Basha

momina.mom
possessive.mom
benevolent.mom
beauteous.mom
lavish.mom
pious.mom
worrior.mom
courteous.mom
fertile.mom
babyfeeding.mom
onlyone.mom
presentday.mom
humane.mom
mybeautiful.mom
myloving.mom
obedient.mom
daddys.mom
courageous.mom

•••
Assume a 50 domain newbie portfolio where each year they let expire the bottom 20 percent of their portfolio...

Year 1 - 50 domains
Year 2 - 40 domains
Year 3 - 32 domains
Year 4 - 26 domains
Year 5 - 21 domains
Year 6 - 17 domains
Year 7 - 14 domains

So after seven years the domainer retains less than 30 percent of their original portfolio. Renewal rates may vary but older portfolios tend to filter out the junk.

•••
Another way to look at it is that after seven years the domainer has paid for 200 registrations or renewals but only has 14 domains remaining (excluding new acquisitions or maybe a couple sales - 1 percent turn would not generate many sales on such a small portfolio) . Some of these domains might have been backordered or won in auction or have premium renewals. Now someone comes along and offers $50 for what now are the best domains this somewhat experienced domainer has to offer.

•••
"The company has seven top level domain names that have been available for a full two-year cycle. During the first year, these top level domain names had a 69% renewal rate.

Of the 21,000 domains that were renewed at the first anniversary, 81% were renewed at the second anniversary.
"

"For comparison, the first year renewal rate on .com domain names is about 50%. The overall renewal rate is closer to 75%."

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back