Dynadot

Unlimited Storage/Bandwidth

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Well I've seen MANY free hosts lately that's giving unlimited storage and bandwidth! Though they have ads, but that is unbelievable!

Now I have READ several articles regarding this, and I've heard that these stuff are fake, and there is a limit

Question: after you sign their contract for unlimited storage and bandwidth, don't you actually GET that? Even if there is a limit, it should be written in the terms of agreement, which is not. So if I move my whole PC worth of items in there, nothing bad would happen, right? Or will they simply delete the whole thing.

If it works, it's like another computer that I carry around, what's the need for others?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
well they can offer it . but they state in their TOS. that if you use over a % you get suspended. :)

•••
Many of these are not scams, just read their agreements. Basically if you stay withing only using up 2-3GB of space max and don't pull their servers down with your bandwidth you are usually ok.

•••
Most hosts that do offer unlimited space/bandwidth go out of business within the first year or even alot sooner than that unless they find ways of managing the high demands they get and the abusive customers who milk all the space+bandwidth on the server.

•••
SeoGuy said:
Most hosts that do offer unlimited space/bandwidth go out of business within the first year or even alot sooner than that unless they find ways of managing the high demands they get and the abusive customers who milk all the space+bandwidth on the server.

They don't go out of business! I've used a 8-year-old hosting company giving out umlimited space for over 8 years.. and a LOAD of clients

•••
Maybe because none of those clients actually fully utilise the "unlimited space".

•••
leviathon said:
They don't go out of business! I've used a 8-year-old hosting company giving out umlimited space for over 8 years.. and a LOAD of clients

First of all SeoGuy said "most" go out of business in less than a year, and he is right.

What is the name of this unlimited host you use that has been offering unlimited space and transfer for 8 years?
Do you know for a fact that they don't suspend accounts if they use "too much resources"?
What limits does their TOS put on what you can do with your account?

•••
No such thing as unlimited hosting.
But it could be unmetered.

•••
But it could be unmetered.

Even unmetered is a lie because the fact is that your usage will be monitored in some form or another along the way. Just as unlimited, there is a limit and odds are that you will be cut off when you reach that limit.

•••
Why then many hosters offer unmettered bandwidth?

•••
Offering unlimited and unmetered space and bandwidth is simply a marketing ploy. Most who offer it have their TOS written in such a way that they can suspend you for almost any reason.

I have tested a few of them out and for the most part the hosting is terrible. I have however found a couple that are not bad at all. The best thing to do when getting unlimited accounts is to expect the worst then you don't get surprised.

•••
wasistdas said:
To tempt people to get to sign up with them, most especially newbies.

•••

It works off the same principal as many of the infomercials that you see on TV where they offer the original product plus a whole slew of complimentary this and that. Hosts offer it because the term will generate signups and earn revenue.

•••
this comes up ALOT. you CANNOT get unlimited bandwidth/space.. can you get unlimited chocolate bars? unlimited pizza.. no.. there is NO unlimited bandwidth/space.. where would it come from? you can't get harddrives with Unlimited GBS.. I have a 200GB harddrive but not unlimited(which means if I hosted a server on my 200gb harddrive it would mean I could only SELL up to 200gb space.. but the server would be slow on my 256k adsl.. woot just got it)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back